New Justis case w/Greenleaf cloth inlay

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
CASE HAS BEEN SOLD

I'm selling a new custom cue case made by Jack Justis. I commissioned him to make this case with a diamond inlay made of the cloth that came from Ralph Greenleaf's pool table--the one he played on when he was a boy in Monmouth, IL.

This cloth came to me in a pack of letters that Nettie Greenleaf Nagel (Ralph Greenleaf's sister) sent to someone she was corresponding with in the 1980s. In one of the letters, she included a small piece of pool table cloth. She also sent a photo of Greenleaf at that table (she's sitting in the background with their father); it was match of Greenleaf (at about 13) against Frank Orban, a player from Detroit. She wanted her correspondent to see what the cloth was like back then. She'd saved it for all those years.

The cloth is about 90 years old, and looks beautiful on the case, which is med. brown leather and accented with fleur de lis (Greenleaf came from French Huggenot stock).

If you're not interested in Ralph Greenleaf--skip this. You can buy a similar case from Jack Justis for just under $500. This will sell for quite a bit more--there's not another case like this in the world. I'll provide the buyer with the provenance--a copy of the photograph and the letter.

Ralph Greenleaf is regarded by many as the greatest straight pool player of all time (and one of his old buddies told me he liked to play one pocket!). The champions who learned from Greenleaf include Willie Mosconi, Babe Cranfield, Jimmy Caras, and Andrew Ponzi. Greenleaf won his first world championship in 1919, and his last in 1937. During that time he was essentially unbeatable--except by the alcoholism that eventually killed him on March 15, 1950. He was buried in Monmouth, IL, with his Rambow pool cue in one hand an ivory cue ball in the other.

CASE HAS BEEN SOLD

Last edited: