Walkin' the Ball

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
All....

All....

....the greats had whitey on a string.Thats why they were great.We have a few dozen who could claim numero uno.Lets start with Willie and Worst,good thread,cheers,James

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, he's not one of the greats at One Pocket, like he was at 9ball...but Cecil 'Buddy' Hall's cueball - was: 'poetry in motion'...:heh

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Reyes, Hall, Sigel, and Kelly, in that order. Reyes handled the cue ball better than any player that i've had the pleasure of watching. Hall comes in second with Sigel closely behind, and a nose in front of Kelly.

I'm ready for you Dennis, I know it's coming.:lol

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One of the older guys that I marveled at was Don Watson.:)
Rod.
Don was a little before my time, but the word from the players was that he handled the cue ball better than any one. I watched him play a few times at the Stardust, he played slow and colorless and I got bored watching so I left. Goes to show ya when you're young and dumb how much you really miss.:eek:

Dr. Bill

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Greatest

Greatest

IN one pocket Mr. REYES Straight pool Willy M. Mr. Reyes and Willy M.were the Greatest at their games of all time. No other player were in the same class. To clear this up a little when they were in their prime.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Not nice to spout unfounded rumor's !

Not nice to spout unfounded rumor's !

Well, he's not one of the greats at One Pocket, like he was at 9ball...but Cecil 'Buddy' Hall's cueball - was: 'poetry in motion'..

- Ghost

OH REALLY, ???....And how many times did YOU play Ed..? (tournament or Hi $$$ Gambling) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Never mind...your tender age, supercedes your "KNOWITALLISHNESS" <--New word I invented to describe MOST Chicagoan's..p :p :p

PS..Had to do it out of necessity, as I am not allowed to say "Th*n Sk**ned" or "Br*gg*rt" anymore.. (as it upsets d*lic*te feeler's)...;) ;)

This could be RBL, Ghoatsy or Beardo..:lol
View attachment 6460

View attachment 6461

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Of the players I have played .

Don Watson moved the cue ball the least.

Toby Sweet moved it the most precisely.

Hall made it look easy.

Miz always got the best result.

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well, he's not one of the greats at One Pocket, like he was at 9ball...but Cecil 'Buddy' Hall's cueball - was: 'poetry in motion'...:heh

- Ghost

Buddy played better one pocket than he gets credit for. Maybe because his nine ball was so good.

I believe he won a one pocket tournament or two against the big boys along the line.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Don was a little before my time, but the word from the players was that he handled the cue ball better than any one. I watched him play a few times at the Stardust, he played slow and colorless and I got bored watching so I left. Goes to show ya when you're young and dumb how much you really miss.:eek:

Dr. Bill

I played him a couple of times. The second time was to make sure if what I saw the first time wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. It seemed like he was always on the correct side of the ball. I would rate him in the top five.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

- Ghost

OH REALLY, ???....And how many times did YOU play Ed..? (tournament or Hi $$$ Gambling)

Never mind...your tender age, supercedes your "KNOWITALLISHNESS" <--New word I invented to describe MOST Chicagoan's..p

PS..Had to do it out of necessity, as I am not allowed to say "Th*n Sk**ned" or "Br*gg*rt" anymore.. (as it upsets d*lic*te feeler's)...

This could be RBL, Ghoatsy or Beardo...:D

He's at it again Dennis..:rolleyes:...I posted about Buddy Hall, and he posts back to me as if I posted about - "Ed"...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:...

But I do feel sorry for him :(;) - I'm sure that combination of senility and booze-addled brain cells is tough to fade...:D....:heh

- Gh:cool:st

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Digg'in through old threads.

Digg'in through old threads.

One of the older guys that I marveled at was Don Watson.:)
Rod.

Rod, When you speak you don't say much, but I listen.

Dr. Bill

Like Baseball, in pool the game is the greatest when it seems like nothing is happening...

I played him a couple of times. The second time was to make sure if what I saw the first time wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. It seemed like he was always on the correct side of the ball. I would rate him in the top five.

Ouch! :(

Of the players I have played .

[BOLD]Don Watson moved the cue ball the least.[/BOLD]

Toby Sweet moved it the most precisely.

Hall made it look easy.

Miz always got the best result.

Bill S.

Maybe an example of "Less is more".

I never saw Watson play one pocket but he was around Southern Cal for a while and [BOLD]nobody ever made playing pool look easier.[/BOLD]

Always a good sign, and time to pay attention.

First hand reports from top players. It seems that performance doesn't always get recognized, what a shame, it makes me wonder what I've missed.

Forgive me Gentlemen, I've been digging through these old threads and enjoying some 125proof from Mr. Brumback's home State:D.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Buddy played better one pocket than he gets credit for. Maybe because his nine ball was so good.

I believe he won a one pocket tournament or two against the big boys along the line.

Put me down as another in agreement about Buddy. Once he started really trying to develop his 1P game, he got himself into the top echelon for several years. It would be hard to think of a single top player he didn't beat at least once during that 4-5 year span.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The Rifleman

The Rifleman

Put me down as another in agreement about Buddy. Once he started really trying to develop his 1P game, he got himself into the top echelon for several years. It would be hard to think of a single top player he didn't beat at least once during that 4-5 year span.

Buddy had a deep understanding of the game. It is evident from his playing and his commentary. He won 1or even 2 of those tournaments in Baton Rouge, Legends of One Pocket, I believe in '97 and '98. In '98, he DEMOLISHED Efren, I believe Grady said "manhandled" and the beating was "akin to a little boy getting a caning in the woodshed." Those '98 LOOP matches are great with all the world class practitioners in the field. I can recommend nearly all of those matches.

Maybe Doc was there for those?

baby huey

Verified Member
If we are talking one pocket or other pool games then I vote for Whimpy. It's so hard to compare prime vs prime and we do it all the time. Fortunately for me I did see Whimpy play later in his career and it was beautiful to watch. This is no disrespect to any aforementioned players but he was poetry in motion.