What tomorrow's game

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Revisited;
I played a guy today. Rotate the break, his scratches don't count.

1st game I broke, he took 11 scratches.
2nd game he broke he took 7 scratches
3rd game I broke he took 12 scratches

I won all 3 games.

He said he'd be back tomorrow but wants to play a different kind of game.
What sort of game was I giving him here ? How should we match up tomorrow in order to give him a little better game.;)
Rod.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just remembered that in Fats' book, The Bank Shot & Other Robberies, he describes when he first learned One Pocket, by making a trip to Oklahoma City or someplace out there, where he learned from Jack Hill. But then he came back to NYC and played somebody there known as "double smart" a big One Pocket match. But Fats' ace in the hole matching up with this "double smart" guy was to play him "scratches don't count". This big victory was supposedly where Fats got the nickname "triple smart". Apparently even back then the "scratches don't count" spot sounded more enticing than it actually worked out to be :)

PS I do realize Fats may have made every bit of this up...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Revisited;

I won all 3 games.

What sort of game was I giving him here ? How should we match up tomorrow in order to give him a little better game.;)
Rod.
i think YOU should have to take the scratches:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Revisited;

I won all 3 games.

Rod.
Rod,

Were you both going to 8?

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
Revisited;

I won all 3 games.

Rod.
I think you should have to consult with a probabilities expert;)

Billy I.

f67bird

Maybe you can try this one.
I played an older gentleman years ago, and he was spotting me 10-7 at one pocket and still beating me like a drum. We were playing pretty cheap: 5 or 10 a game, and I lost around $75.00 so I quit and paid him.
He says tomorrow he will come back and give me the break and first shot after the break...which sounded almost too good to be true.
I though about it awhile and said Nah come back tomorrow and I will play you 9-ball even.
He came back the next day, I beat him out of about $50 or $60...and he stiffed me!
But the break and first shot after the break sounds almost too good to resist.
Other than that, maybe start giving him balls...or let him have all the breaks.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Pardon my being this way ....but .....

Pardon my being this way ....but .....

You do not mention how wide the margin of winning was .... but I would suggest the guy sell you his cue so he can go purchase a bowling ball. Can the cat make a ball?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
KindlyOleUncleDave said:
You do not mention how wide the margin of winning was .... but I would suggest the guy sell you his cue so he can go purchase a bowling ball. Can the cat make a ball?

Dave , the problem with this game is everybody thinks it's worth more than it is. After playing this they want a big spot. Today we finally agreed on 11/7. We played 4 hrs. and I lost 3 games. I wouldn't have quit, but I was really tired. Getting old ain't for Sissies. :p
Rod.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
f67bird said:
He says tomorrow he will come back and give me the break and first shot after the break...which sounded almost too good to be true.

But the break and first shot after the break sounds almost too good to resist.

BOID. I remember playing this years ago. It seem like it's worth about 2/3 balls. ;) The problem for the weaker player is the balls are usually spread open and if you miss you can be in trouble.
Rod.
PS, If you get CB in hand it's much stronger. :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
BOID. I remember playing this years ago. It seem like it's worth about 2/3 balls. ;) The problem for the weaker player is the balls are usually spread open and if you miss you can be in trouble.
Rod.
I watched Cornbread give this game (break & shoot till you miss) to a guy about my speed. They broke out about even from what I remember, but the guy didn't want to raise the bet either. It's kind of like flipping a coin as to whether or not you'll get a good shot to run some balls. I guess in the end it was probably worth 2-3 balls, on average.

Dennis

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.
I don't want to get confused with all the probabilities Rod ..so when we play I just want a 90% chance to win 4/3rds of the games

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
MARK..HOU TX said:
I don't want to get confused with all the probabilities Rod ..so when we play I just want a 90% chance to win 4/3rds of the games

MARK,You may have the break and shoot till you miss.:p
Rod.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
The break and shoot til you miss? I think I would use the hard break like the video posted here a few weeks ago but not bring the cue ball so far up the table. Wouldn't that be worth more than 2 or 3 balls?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tennessee Joe6 said:
The break and shoot til you miss? I think I would use the hard break like the video posted here a few weeks ago but not bring the cue ball so far up the table. Wouldn't that be worth more than 2 or 3 balls?
for you maybe but i would guess not to the type of player who would be getting that spot

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Tennessee Joe6 said:

Joe, You might be surprised, it's a little easier said than done. There's always the problem if you miss the balls are all open for the better player.
Rod.
PS, Try breaking them 5 times and see if you can make more than 15 balls.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
androd said:
Joe, You might be surprised, it's a little easier said than done. There's always the problem if you miss the balls are all open for the better player.
Rod.
PS, Try breaking them 5 times and see if you can make more than 15 balls.

You are right---5 tries and averaged 3.4.

beatle

Verified Member
you give as little as you can. 8 to 7 on your breaks. and adjust one ball at a time till he passes on you then find another trick game.
watch out since he took that many scratches he doesnt understand the game and will play more shots as he learns it.