for Larry

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
fred bentivegna said:
At a big tournament at St Charles, IL, I tried to make a game with Kim Davenport -- who was at the top of his game -- . Here were Kim's final offers:
He wanted a ball playing either Onepocket or Banks, but would give me the 5 ball playing 9 Ball.

Anything I say is open for confirmation. I think Kim is still with us. I also think I will give Jack Cooney a call. My good friend, Jack Cooney. I will ask him if ____ could outmove him. Grady may have an opinion also.

Beard

Kim hated one pocket, even after he was a champion nine ball player. He would play once and a while if it was the only action available. We played a few times when he was younger when we were not playing liability snooker on the 6 x 12 in Bellflower. Three safeties in a row on him and he would try and invent a shot.

You should have given him a ball, you would have been a big favorite.

I beat him giving up a couple balls.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Post #13 and example of detente?

Post #13 and example of detente?

SJDinPHX said:
Avoiding anything that could be viewed as confrontational,...but still trying to defend myself....I would just like to say, that I encourage _________ to call Jack or Grady (or RA or EK)...He might want to talk to Barbara too,...she has some very "vivid" memories of a few of our 'looooong' sessions. They were played, mostly in my mid to late 60's too, when I was NOT "at the top of my game"...

PS..So much for detente (sp) I guess...At least I'M trying.

Yeah, you're trying all right. I guess the chest thumping, and name dropping (your post #13) was just innocent blather and not another rev jibe? Mr "Who me?" is at it again. Who me? Moi?

Then you closed #13 with a P.S."bragging" quote. You innocent little darling, you.

The thing is, I dont give one turd about your claims or brags. They dont chap my ass. They affect me, zero. Your sissy, grade-school tattling ass, making a case about what I say or do is what bothers me.

I was just kidding about calling Jack. But you did mention Kelly. Curiosity does compel me to ask about how many times you played Kelly. ???

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

jrhendy said:
Kim hated one pocket, even after he was a champion nine ball player. He would play once and a while if it was the only action available. We played a few times when he was younger when we were not playing liability snooker on the 6 x 12 in Bellflower. Three safeties in a row on him and he would try and invent a shot.

You should have given him a ball, you would have been a big favorite.

I beat him giving up a couple balls.

At that same tourn, he gave a guy the five and robbed him. A guy that gave me the eight, Rich Slupik, Rocket Man.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
I am thinking I may know your victim, Sir Rodney....PM please...;)

Well I woundn't say victim. No secrets here. His name is Freddy Lochamy (sp.) He played Cooney a lot. I seemed to remember Billy I giving him a big spot and beating him in about 1980. He probably beat me more than I beat him. I did really beat him at the one ball one pocket. I also won at a scratches don't count game. I got the break and he got 9/7 and his intentional scratches didn't count. I was 18 thousand winner one night and quit 10 thousand loser, because he didn't want to raise the bet. Of course I was playing on credit. :D He had paid the 18.
Freddy and Tony Salinas owned "Doyles" pool room in the early 70's a real action spot.:)
Judge John Woods sentenced Salinas,who was charged with gambling cases.
Salinas punishment was to move to Las Vegas.;)
They called Woods the "hanging judge" LOL.
Woods was later murdered. National news, the Chagras and so forth.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
Well I woundn't say victim. No secrets here. His name is Freddy Lochamy (sp.) He played Cooney a lot. I seemed to remember Billy I giving him a big spot and beating him in about 1980. He probably beat me more than I beat him. I did really beat him at the one ball one pocket. I also won at a scratches don't count game. I got the break and he got 9/7 and his intentional scratches didn't count. I was 18 thousand winner one night and quit 10 thousand loser, because he didn't want to raise the bet. Of course I was playing on credit. :D He had paid the 18.
Freddy and Tony Salinas owned "Doyles" pool room in the early 70's a real action spot.:)
You have a very good memory, ON ALL ACCOUNTS.:)

Billy I.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:

I guess we have "accidently" hijacked Larry's end game thread...But I see he has a few more started..:)

Not who I thought it was Rod...Did not know that guy. The Doyles Pool room you mentioned, must have came along after I moved back to the coast ('72) to begin my "other" shameful [sic] carreer...:cool:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
I guess we have "accidently" hijacked Larry's end game thread...But I see he has a few more started..:)

Not who I thought it was Rod...Did not know that guy. The Doyles Pool room you mentioned, must have came along after I moved back to the coast ('72) to begin my "other" shameful [sic] carreer...:cool:

Yeah,
Ronnie hung around there for a few months.
Doyle the rooms namesake is a member here(TWOPICKS) but hasn't posted in a while. I hope his health is okay. I heard Freddy L. is in very bad health and losing his sight.
Rod.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
more robbing

more robbing

Sorry for the hijacking,but Freddie,was that around 1990 at some resort type joint in St. Charles called Pheasant Ridge or something like that?A big 9-ball tournament?Cheers,B

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
End game

End game

Larry, Sorry for the hijack. Here's some ideal leaves for a endgame
senario. Any CB or any OB from here is what I strive for with one ball on the table. ;)
Rod.

Attachments

• endgame.jpg
    endgame.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

frmn

Verified Member
Dick in that match Cliff had the lower right corner and it rolled to the center of the table. He put a lot of balls to the hole to win but they rolled off. I guess being a champion he should have made an adjustment. That was a fun tournament.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hey guys
i dont mind the hijack
the stories are much more interesting than the end game:rolleyes: :D
thanks for all the tips:)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pheasant Run

Pheasant Run

usblues said:
Sorry for the hijacking,but Freddie,was that around 1990 at some resort type joint in St. Charles called Pheasant Ridge or something like that?A big 9-ball tournament?Cheers,B

Pheasant Run was the name of the resort. They held a few tourns there. That was where Jean Balukas played in her first mens tourn. Her first male oppo was me. 11 to 2, her. I had plenty of company as she dispatched several more big guns and finished in the money.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I see said the blind man

I see said the blind man

Thanks for that tip Freddie.I guess I was wrong when I thought her first mens tournament was the McDermott 9-ball '83 in Milwaukee.She must of been on just the womens side.That was a funny tournament for a few reasons,cheers,B