No Cap

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
For the 2016 Members' Throw Down at Lacy's.

Not an official pronouncement, just my strong opinion.

If you feel strongly that we should cap it at 32, please make your argument here. Unless there's a groundswell in favor of cap, I suggest we nail down "no cap" within the next few days.

Whatever tournament problems "too many players" might cause will IMO be more than offset by the social benefits and by not having to exclude any of us who want to play.

We'll figure out a way to let those there Friday complete their first rounds Friday evening and work the others in early Saturday.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If we start Friday then I have no problem without a cap
Starting Sat-CAP
Every day its something different
We havent even settle the format of 3/2 2/2, ball on the break, foul line and now something else.
32 players
No rerack rerack is for the pros, as far as I know. 90% of us are amatuers.
No dinner break
Measals ball
3/2 winners 2/2 losers
finals race to 5
Ball touching the line is in the kitchen
Believe it or not, I have yard work to do:heh

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I agree with SCRZBILL....No cap if start Friday, Cap if start Saturday. I think we can start Friday and make provisions to allow those who can't get there till Saturday to play their first round on Saturday.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
its doable without a cap. it's not necessarily ideal, but john is right and no one should be turned away.

imo, corey's idea is a no brainer if he is there to do it and if there are enough tables once we get a head count through disco dave.

if not and we end up over 32, some guys will have to play on friday and they will just have to be races to two.

;)

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Number of Tables Available

Number of Tables Available

Joey A.,

Can you please confirm that we will have all 15 9-footers available for the tournament? Thanks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If we start Friday then I have no problem without a cap

We plan to get a lot of matches in Fri night and work the Friday no-shows in early Saturday.
We havent even settle the format of 3/2 2/2, ball on the break, foul line and now something else.

We've settled all but ball-on-the-break. 3/2, 2/2 (unless we go with Cory's round robin... we can figure out later depending on number of entries) Full ball kitchen. (I like re-rack, having lost a match without a shot in the hill-hill game.)

no cap,pending further notice
No rerack rerack is for the pros, as far as I know. 90% of us are amatuers.
No dinner break

Noted.
Measals ball
I think only red circle is available.

3/2 winners 2/2 losers
finals race to 5
Ball touching the line is in the kitchen
I'd suggest race to 4, but we may let the finalists decide based upon starting time of their match.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You sure its just the ball on the break responsible for your sad demise? :eek:

It sucks to lose a game while sitting in your chair start to finish. OTOH, you should have seen all the bad rolls I got losing 10 in a row to Fireman KC. I had the nutz and he shit out 10 times! :frus

Now he says he needs 9-7. :eek:

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Number of tables available at lacys

Number of tables available at lacys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dave View Post

Joey A.,

Can you please confirm that we will have all 15 9-footers available for the tournament? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that's already been confirmed. Jtom, or Joey or KC said something like "Frank says the place is ours for Sat and Sun."

NOTE: There are 12, 9 foot Diamond pool tables, 1, 10 Foot Diamond pool table. All of the above 9 foot and 10 foot tables have been reserved for us for Saturday and Sunday, September 24-25.

They also have about 20-25, 7 foot coin-operated, Diamond pool tables available for anyone's use.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Tables

Tables

Joey A.,

Sorry Dave, I replied to LSJohn's post about the tables.

They have 12, 9 footers and one ten footer and we have their exclusive use on Saturday and Sunday. If we need them on Friday, they will be available as well.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Cue Balls................................

Cue Balls................................

They only have 4, Measles balls available. Red circle otherwise. If it is important to have only measles balls, WE will have to purchase them ourselves in advance.
JoeyA

We plan to get a lot of matches in Fri night and work the Friday no-shows in early Saturday.

We've settled all but ball-on-the-break. 3/2, 2/2 (unless we go with Cory's round robin... we can figure out later depending on number of entries) Full ball kitchen. (I like re-rack, having lost a match without a shot in the hill-hill game.)

no cap,pending further notice

Noted.
I think only red circle is available.

I'd suggest race to 4, but we may let the finalists decide based upon starting time of their match.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Friday Night play..............

Friday Night play..............

I'm sure most of the local players could be persuaded to play on Friday night.

Thinking about that, I wonder if the MASTER PLAYER'S LIST should be marked "LOCAL" (behind the person's name)

JoeyA

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I'm sure most of the local players could be persuaded to play on Friday night.

Thinking about that, I wonder if the MASTER PLAYER'S LIST should be marked "LOCAL" (behind the person's name)

JoeyA

As I am not familiar with all of the local members other than you, Fireman KC, Richard S, and JTom, could you help me identify who any others on the list might be classified as local?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This event, which started as a nice idea to get together and socialize over some 1P, now seems to be turning into a Hippie love-in.:D No cap, "so no one would be excluded"? Should we all attend fairness training?:heh

Jokes aside, without a cap this event will soon grow beyond a reasonable capacity. For example, it's still 3 months off and there are at least 4-5 guys in my general area who have not even heard about the event yet, and may want to play. I'm sure there are others in different areas as well. There will also be interlopers.

Even if the event were "only" 48 players, that means that with 12 tables we'd have 4 flights to play to even get through the first 2 rounds. That's not going to be possible on Friday night.

And forget friendly action. None of the 12 tables will be available from Friday night until Sunday. It's starting to sound like the DCC.;)

IMO the guys who are flying in or driving long distances ought to have priority. Guys flying in can't get out of their plane reservations, so they should be given a guarantee.

On the other hand most of the guys may just want to participate, and are excited about a big crowd get-together. So they may feel that "the more the merrier".:)

~Doc

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
This event, which started as a nice idea to get together and socialize over some 1P, now seems to be turning into a Hippie love-in.:D No cap, "so no one would be excluded"? Should we all attend fairness training?:heh

Jokes aside, without a cap this event will soon grow beyond a reasonable capacity. For example, it's still 3 months off and there are at least 4-5 guys in my general area who have not even heard about the event yet, and may want to play. I'm sure there are others in different areas as well. There will also be interlopers.

Even if the event were "only" 48 players, that means that with 12 tables we'd have 4 flights to play to even get through the first 2 rounds. That's not going to be possible on Friday night.

And forget friendly action. None of the 12 tables will be available from Friday night until Sunday. It's starting to sound like the DCC.;)

IMO the guys who are flying in or driving long distances ought to have priority. Guys flying in can't get out of their plane reservations, so they should be given a guarantee.

On the other hand most of the guys may just want to participate, and are excited about a big crowd get-together. So they may feel that "the more the merrier".:)

~Doc

I agree that the situation seems to be getting out of hand. I don't think this high level of participation was expected. I've seen almost as many comments for a cap as not.

I propose that we use the polling tool to have a proper vote on the Cap issue as soon as possible.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

~Doc

i understand both perspectives.

my point has been well made about preference for a 32 man event.

if we get about half the first round games in friday evening, race to two on both sides is sketchy but doable up to 48 in my estimation (made up a 48 - 64 bracket today and tinkered around with what rounds would need to be played and approximately when on both days - both saturday and sunday will have to go very late). a few of the tables would be open later on saturday and most of sunday.

the fact that we only have 12 instead of 15 tables confounds things significantly....(and most likely excludes any kind of first round - group/round robin option format to determine winners/losers brackets - but will leave that determination to cory)

it also remains to be seen how many members actually get in now that dave is taking entries as well....

Last edited: