A blast from the past, literally :eek:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I saw these two go minus 8 to minus 5 before the 3 fouls rule. It could have been the same match. Looks like the same table at the old DCC venue. I didn't see the beginning of the match.

Skin

Verified Member
I saw these two go minus 8 to minus 5 before the 3 fouls rule. It could have been the same match. Looks like the same table at the old DCC venue. I didn't see the beginning of the match.

Deuel won that game :eek: and went on to win the match 4-3.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've always suspected that Shannon considered Cory's break as deep disrespect. In other words, he took an instant resentment, and was steamed. So it had the effect of a major "move".;) I think Cory's brashness flummoxed Shannon.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I seem to recall when interviewed he said he didn't think he could out move the better players and that is why he broke this way.

yes i also recall that was his reason for breaking that way
he figured he could out shoot but not out move the other players
its uncanny how often he left no makeable shot after the break for his opponent

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Yes, When the score was -5 to -8 with Corey behind by 3, he said to Shannon,"I'll give you the game. Let's start another one." Shannon said, "Let's go ahead and play this one out. Its fun." Corey went on to win.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Pretty sure this match was a World One Pocket Tournament match and that it was in the Northeast, possibly Maine. Seems like it was 1998. Listening to Johnny Ervolino witness the break is funny, as I recall. He and Grady had some funny comments.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Pretty sure this match was a World One Pocket Tournament match and that it was in the Northeast, possibly Maine. Seems like it was 1998. Listening to Johnny Ervolino witness the break is funny, as I recall. He and Grady had some funny comments.
The youtube video page says it's nov. 3, 2000.

Player: Corey Deuel
Event: World One-Pocket Championship
Date: Nov. 3, 2000

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes that was at one of Grady's tournaments. It was held at the Spot Shot in Portland Main, which at the time was owned by the late Kerry Hebert. Grady was living in ME at the time. It was a $20,000 added event and it was Nov 1-5, 2000 -- I know because I have the poster for it on my wall, lol.

Incidentally, that tournament was about the last major tournament for three notable players: 'Boston Shorty', Johnny Ervolino and Larry Lisciotti -- all of whom played in it. Along with a much younger player that also left us way too soon -- George 'Ginky' San Souci :(