Mountain View California -- California Billiards

RileysDad

Verified Member
This club makes me hate myself sometimes...

The design of the room is fantastic and this should be the action capital of the Souther Bay Area. Not too long ago I saw Bucktooth play Al from Santa Cruz for $500 a game straight up -- Tooth went home $5000 the winner.

The room has 32 4x9.5 gold Crowns, 2 6x12 Riley snooker tables & 2 Verhoven three-cushion tables.

There is a separate players area with eight really tightly pocked gold crowns and a great Riley snooker table that is dedicated to the open golf game (sometimes as much as $100 & $10). There are no stereo speakers in the players area so it is fairly easy to concentrate.

The grill is adequatre, but nothing to write home about and there a decent amount of spectator seating.

With all this going for it, the room should rock, but it doesn't.

Why?

Almost every serious action player and many of the bigger bettors have been 86'd by the guy who owns the place. While I respect anyone with the balls (ha ha) to open a room this big, Chet has really limited his business with the number of people who are on his hit list.

Memo, Bryce Avilla, Big Leo, Eddie Kline, and any number of others have gotten themselves tosses for a range of infractions or managing to offend Chet.

Just last week, during the monthly one-pocket tournament, Chet got into a shouting match during the play over the player bringing in a bottle of water so he could take his medicine.

While it is perhaps the best, most honest, and cleanest room in the area it is run Chet's Way or the Highway and woe betide anyone who gives him advice on the business or the room.

But check it out anyway. 3rd Saturday of the month there always a one-pocket tourney. Billy Palmer, Tony Chohan, Tony Anigoni, Ronnie Allen, Tall Paul, Ian Costello, Chris Macdonald, George Michaels, Rafael Martinez, Ernesto Dominquez, Chicken and others are often there so it is worth coming just to watch the action.

It could be so much better if the owners got a bit more into the customer relations side of the thing though.

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Cal "Bullyard" -- Mountain View, CA

Cal "Bullyard" -- Mountain View, CA

I applaud you you for posting this, although you will probably be 86'd if word gets back to Chester.

I honestly believe Chester has a severe inferiority complex and takes it out on both customers and employees. I remember him causing a waitress to literally cry because he told her to turn out a light that kept turning itself back on (faulty pull switch). He knew full well what the problem was but wouldn't tell her. Instead he just kept telling her to turn off the light. Sadist !!!

I had the pleasure (??) of being employed at Cal 'Bullyard' on & off for nearly years ending in '01. (Don't ask why I stayed so long, I just love pool rooms I guess.) I was called the "Manager", but wasn't permitted to manage anything or any one. I have since been permanently 86'd for no other reason than being an ex-employee. Good riddance. That place rips through employees faster than most people change their socks.

The place stays in business in spite of its ownership but could do so much better. If you happen to notice, check out the extremely cheap looking, cheezy paper signs hanging on the front telling you about "lunch" and "hot food" and "specials".

Troy
RileysDad said:
This club makes me hate myself sometimes...

The design of the room is fantastic and this should be the action capital of the Souther Bay Area. Not too long ago I saw Bucktooth play Al from Santa Cruz for $500 a game straight up -- Tooth went home $5000 the winner.

The room has 32 4x9.5 gold Crowns, 2 6x12 Riley snooker tables & 2 Verhoven three-cushion tables.

There is a separate players area with eight really tightly pocked gold crowns and a great Riley snooker table that is dedicated to the open golf game (sometimes as much as $100 & $10). There are no stereo speakers in the players area so it is fairly easy to concentrate.

The grill is adequatre, but nothing to write home about and there a decent amount of spectator seating.

With all this going for it, the room should rock, but it doesn't.

Why?

Almost every serious action player and many of the bigger bettors have been 86'd by the guy who owns the place. While I respect anyone with the balls (ha ha) to open a room this big, Chet has really limited his business with the number of people who are on his hit list.

Memo, Bryce Avilla, Big Leo, Eddie Kline, and any number of others have gotten themselves tosses for a range of infractions or managing to offend Chet.

Just last week, during the monthly one-pocket tournament, Chet got into a shouting match during the play over the player bringing in a bottle of water so he could take his medicine.

While it is perhaps the best, most honest, and cleanest room in the area it is run Chet's Way or the Highway and woe betide anyone who gives him advice on the business or the room.

But check it out anyway. 3rd Saturday of the month there always a one-pocket tourney. Billy Palmer, Tony Chohan, Tony Anigoni, Ronnie Allen, Tall Paul, Ian Costello, Chris Macdonald, George Michaels, Rafael Martinez, Ernesto Dominquez, Chicken and others are often there so it is worth coming just to watch the action.

It could be so much better if the owners got a bit more into the customer relations side of the thing though.

Last edited:

dottie

Santa Clara Billiards

Santa Clara Billiards

Hoping it will become a OnePocket room. Check out Santa Clara billiards with their friendly and personable staff.

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Santa Clara Billiards

Santa Clara Billiards

Maybe so Dottie, but first they need a quality table mechanic to re-cover the tables and have a few tables with tight (=<4.5" corner) pockets and good rails. The last I knew they were doing their own work and it was quite shabby. The same for cue repair, shabby workmanship.
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Troy
dottie said:
Hoping it will become a OnePocket room. Check out Santa Clara billiards with their friendly and personable staff.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
RileysDad said:

Hey RD,

Man, that sounds like a dream room-- a real "died and gone to heaven" place!!
We don't have anything like that on the Dixie Gulf Coast-- even in New Orleans.

I suppose the owner has to be careful in Mountain View, what with all the gangs, homies, drugs, etc. The room could turn into a dump overnight if he'd let it. However, he does sound like he has a few, ah... emotional issues, which will eventually cause him to run everyone off. :confused: Perhaps he's a drinker or a drugger himself? Of course running a poolroom is nowhere as easy as many believe it is. It's a tough, cutthroat gig, with high overhead.

What ever happened to "Action Bob's"? Wasn't he in Mountain View? He struck me as a guy who was trying too hard to elect his place "action central". I liked the room though.

Cheers,

Doc

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Action Bob

Action Bob

Action Bob has Garlic City Billiards in Gilroy, about 35 miles south of Mountain View.

Troy
gulfportdoc said:
What ever happened to "Action Bob's"? Wasn't he in Mountain View? He struck me as a guy who was trying too hard to elect his place "action central". I liked the room though.

Cheers,

Doc

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Hey RD,

Man, that sounds like a dream room-- a real "died and gone to heaven" place!!
We don't have anything like that on the Dixie Gulf Coast-- even in New Orleans.

I suppose the owner has to be careful in Mountain View, what with all the gangs, homies, drugs, etc. The room could turn into a dump overnight if he'd let it. However, he does sound like he has a few, ah... emotional issues, which will eventually cause him to run everyone off. :confused: Perhaps he's a drinker or a drugger himself? Of course running a poolroom is nowhere as easy as many believe it is. It's a tough, cutthroat gig, with high overhead.

Cheers,

Doc
CBC is one of the best rooms around. Man there is so much room in between tables, makes it a great place to play. The spectators area is not so great but ok, I guess. I have heard a lot of bad things about Chet, but have never witnessed any of those things. It is a really nice room, to bad I don't live a little closer to it.

RileysDad

Verified Member
Still 86'd from California Billiards

Still 86'd from California Billiards

Hey, what happened to my post about getting 86'd from California? Looks like someone at the site here deciced to censor and censure me.

That is NOT a good thing for a site that is looking to build a reputation for an exchange of information.

Did you folks at OnePocket.org get some pressure from Chet???

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
RileysDad said:
Hey, what happened to my post about getting 86'd from California? Looks like someone at the site here deciced to censor and censure me.

That is NOT a good thing for a site that is looking to build a reputation for an exchange of information.

Did you folks at OnePocket.org get some pressure from Chet???
No pressure at all that I know of -- we just would like to keep things on the positive side, and that means avoiding knocking 'One Pocket rooms' if possible -- the world needs more 'One Pocket rooms' :) . I would prefer more of a reconciling role than a divisive role for OnePocket.org.

I don't know whether it would help, or if you would be interested, but I am certainly willing to offer to talk to Chet myself about reconsidering the 86 thing -- for you and anyone else that would be interested. No guarantees that it would make a difference -- it's just a thought.

Sorry that the moderation incident offends you. I absolutely hate to censor anyone, believe me, but situations like this create sort of a damned if I do and damned if I don't problem for me.

The bottom line is that OnePocket.org exists for the promotion of the game of One Pocket. That is what tipped the scales in favor of moderation.

RileysDad

Verified Member
More on California Billiards - APA Tossed

More on California Billiards - APA Tossed

Sigh.....Chet just barred all APA teams from the club and has barred Doug (the APA franchise guy for Silicon Valley) from the club as well.

Not a bright moment for the sport.