Remembering Grady Mathews

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yeah, that is a real nice tribute. However I could not help but notice how many of the photos were either mine or Diana Hoppe's, and not to pour cold water or anything, I know I was not asked, and I also don't see a single photo credit. I just don't understand that kind of thing... but they did do a nice job otherwise.

I know there are other memorial slide shows for Grady too. I am pretty sure Calired did one, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. But while I was looking, I found this one, which must have been done by someone pretty close to the family because it includes a bunch of childhood and family photos that I had never seen. The technical artistry of this slideshow is not quite as refined as the one JAM found, but I think if you are a Grady fan you will enjoy this one too:

http://youtu.be/Ywu7uGU_K0s
nice find steve
alot of family photos id never seen
thanks
:)

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Grady came to San Francisco quite often when I lived there. He would play me $20 a game while telling me shots to shoot or how to make a ball sliding it along. I usually donated a hunnert but I figured it was money well spent and enjoyed his company. Sometime Paul Potier(sp) would come with him. I tried the same thing with him but he only talked about golf and who the FK cares about golf when you could be playing one pocket.
The last time I saw Grady was tough. His disease was really in control and he had matched up against John in Phoenix. I had to go somewhere besides the pool room. When I came back he was in a huff with the owner so there was no time for chit chat.
Genuine nice guy and a great tribute to how pool hustlers should act. I mean he could have taken my money and never volunteer any information but getting a player who wanted to play at a higher level for perfect for the "Professor". Being in the HOF isn't enough for The Professor to me.

JAM

Verified Member
Yeah, that is a real nice tribute. However I could not help but notice how many of the photos were either mine or Diana Hoppe's, and not to pour cold water or anything, I know I was not asked, and I also don't see a single photo credit. I just don't understand that kind of thing... but they did do a nice job otherwise.

I know there are other memorial slide shows for Grady too. I am pretty sure Calired did one, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. But while I was looking, I found this one, which must have been done by someone pretty close to the family because it includes a bunch of childhood and family photos that I had never seen. The technical artistry of this slideshow is not quite as refined as the one JAM found, but I think if you are a Grady fan you will enjoy this one too:

http://youtu.be/Ywu7uGU_K0s

I had not seen that one before. The silence, or no music, adds to the effect of the tribute, I think.

About proprietary photos on the Internet, I see my photos online all the time, without any mention of me taking the photo, but I'm not a professional photographer, so it doesn't bother me too much. In fact, my photo of Kevin Trudeau has really made the rounds on national media sources.

When I was active on Wikipedia for the cue sports section, Diana asked if I could create an Wiki article about Danny DiLiberto, and she sent me some photos for the article. I explained to her the STRICT rules of photographs on Wikipedia about permission guidelines. I don't think Diana understood.

About a year later, after I created the article, I got an e-mail from Wikipedia editors stating that Diana had complained about the Danny DiLiberto photos without her name in print underneath them. Again, at the time Diana gave me the photos to post in the article, I explained to her the problems of attribution and credits for photos on Wikipedia.

Today, the rules about photos on Wikipedia are more easier to understand, but back in the day when I was trying to create the article with the photographs Diana gave to me, I could not post her name as the person who took the photo, because at that time Wikipedia considered it as advertising. The photos were removed by Wikipedia editors because Diana complained. These were the photos she asked me to insert in Danny's article, which I did. Again, I explained to Diana the problems with Wikipedia and photos at that time. I don't think Diana meant to have them removed, but she did want her name in print underneath the photo. You can't do that on Wikipedia.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, I just figured out what happened here. The video JAM originally posted, which she found on Youtube is actually Calired's memorial video that someone by the name of Jim Mullens reposted to Youtube as if it was something they created. Calired had originally posted it on Vimeo and it was definitely shared here on OnePocket.org back when he first did it, which is why it might look familiar to some of you. With Lenny posting the Vimeo link it reminded me that's where Calired's might be, and sure enough it was -- and it is the same video. So I do not know who the guy is that posted it on Youtube, but the entire thing is Calired's creation, not his.

Here it is on Vimeo as originally posted by Calired:
http://vimeo.com/42059543

Attachments

• 2014-10-05 08_43_40-Greenshot.jpg
    2014-10-05 08_43_40-Greenshot.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Wow! Thanks for sharing that bit if info. Credit should go to where credit is due. I agree! :)

JAM

Verified Member
That link that posted Greg's video says it is by "Jim Mullen," and the person who posted is BTR Tour, which is in Washington State ---> HERE

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
I remember first meeting Grady around 97/98 when he was doing an exhibition tour with a not long arrived Allison Fisher. I really enjoyed hearing him talk about his times on the road and matching up.

Since Grady's known for action and being an important part of the 1p.org HOF dinner, would it be a good idea to name the "Lifetime Pool in Action" plaque after him? It would be a fitting and lasting tribute to him.

JAM

Verified Member
I remember first meeting Grady around 97/98 when he was doing an exhibition tour with a not long arrived Allison Fisher. I really enjoyed hearing him talk about his times on the road and matching up.

Since Grady's known for action and being an important part of the 1p.org HOF dinner, would it be a good idea to name the "Lifetime Pool in Action" plaque after him? It would be a fitting and lasting tribute to him.

That is a good suggestion. Of course, the decision-maker is Steve. It would also be nice to figure out how to include Freddy the Beard in an award recognition of some sort, as well. He most definitely did contribute a lot to the pool world as well as the OnePocket.org forum.

Maybe the Beard-Mathews or Mathews-Beard Lifetime Action Award or something along those lines. :)

Mathews-Beard Lifetime Action Award would be better than the Beard-Mathews Lifetime Action Award, because if it was Beard-Mathews, it might be abbreviated to the BM Lifetime Action Award. :eek::eek:;):)

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
That is a good suggestion. Of course, the decision-maker is Steve. It would also be nice to figure out how to include Freddy the Beard in an award recognition of some sort, as well. He most definitely did contribute a lot to the pool world as well as the OnePocket.org forum.

Maybe the Beard-Mathews or Mathews-Beard Lifetime Action Award or something along those lines. :)

Mathews-Beard Lifetime Action Award would be better than the Beard-Mathews Lifetime Action Award, because if it was Beard-Mathews, it might be abbreviated to the BM Lifetime Action Award. :eek::eek:;):)

That's why I suggested naming the plaque after Grady. It'll work for The Beard too for the bank category. You know, like football has the Lombardi Trophy, Hunt Trophy, etc. It'll be cool to have the Grady Mathews Lifetime in Action Plaque or the Freddie The Beard Memorial Banking Plaque.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
That's why I suggested naming the plaque after Grady. It'll work for The Beard too for the bank category. You know, like football has the Lombardi Trophy, Hunt Trophy, etc. It'll be cool to have the Grady Mathews Lifetime in Action Plaque and the Freddie The Beard Memorial Banking Plaque.

I agree, both these players dedicated their entire life to their respective games, Freddie with bank pool and Grady with one pocket. Both players kept their respective games relevant and should be recognized for their effort. They may not have been the best at playing them but they clearly were the best at keeping them relevant, and for that reason among others they should be honored.

I mentioned to Greg Sullivan to think about something that would preserve Freddies legacy and implement it in some way in his bank pool segment of the DCC tournament, he said that that would be nice. This would be special for both of these guys and we were all here to witness their involvement and unrelenting promotion of both the game of one pocket and bank pool.

Grady "The Professor" Mathews Memorial One Pocket Plaque
Freddie "The Beard" Bentivegna Memorial Bank Pool Plaque

I'm all in on this.:D

Bill Incardona

JAM

Verified Member
I agree, both these players dedicated their entire life to their respective games, Freddie with bank pool and Grady with one pocket. Both players kept their respective games relevant and should be recognized for their effort. They may not have been the best at playing them but they clearly were the best at keeping them relevant, and for that reason among others they should be honored.

I mentioned to Greg Sullivan to think about something that would preserve Freddies legacy and implement it in some way in his bank pool segment of the DCC tournament, he said that that would be nice. This would be special for both of these guys and we were all here to witness their involvement and unrelenting promotion of both the game of one pocket and bank pool.

Grady "The Professor" Mathews Memorial One Pocket Plaque
Freddie "The Beard" Bentivegna Memorial Bank Pool Plaque

I'm all in on this.:D

Bill Incardona

Great minds think alike. Good for you, Billy. I like the way you think. :)

You and Grady were both so cool together in the booth. "You don't have to worry about wising me up, Grady. Really. I've done fine without you wising me up," says Billy. Then the two of you start chuckling. ---> HERE. :lol

naji

Verified Member
Grady and I 2/17/2011

Grady and I 2/17/2011

Went to Grady's to see the legend luckily he was there, shot couple of games for fun, then asked him if he would race to 7 for a $1000, he laughed and said, i do not do that anymore kid! but he knew someone would be interested! i laughed, and got couple of pointers and left. Loved that man..
IMG00001-20110217-1435.jpg