The End Game Whats The Best Move

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
The end part of an uptable game is a very common element of one pocket. Many times i find myself playing a shot with 2 to 5 balls left on the table and I wonder "what is the best shot here?". Im going to post 4 end game situations during this week and I would appreciate it if you all would respond with your best thoughts. What im looking for is what shot or move you think is correct, where the cueball and object will wind up and why you chose this shot? Its important to say that im not looking for any "miracle shots" here just the most productive shot that will position you to win the game. I would also ask that our most experienced players get involved with your analysis and solutions to these positions, in particular Billy, Artie, Freddy, Dick, Grady Ghost and the rest of you. Thanks in advance for your help and participation. Sappo

Now for thr 1st situation. Player A leads in balls 6 to 5. Its Player B's shot.[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaMb4IagO2KYLI1MAOj4PINx3Qcxv4ReUx@[/CUETABLE]

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
My play is to two-rail the 11 toward pocket B, trying for pocket speed and crossing the table with the CB, getting as close to the long rail as possible, behind the 9. It's the only play I see, and it's aggressive. Make your man address the 11 ball with his shot.

I'm curious to see what else might be possible here. :rolleyes:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
First off let me say that what sappo just did, is by far the best way for those of you wanting to learn One Pocket strategy to also post = Come up with table/ball situations, format them on the wei table, and ask for shot choices from the experienced players here on the site.

As for this situation, I think you can go for offense here....

There's vapros's 2-railer, but it's risky/not much margin for error because of a possible cue ball kiss, or by over cutting it and sending the 11 ball into the 7 ball, and thereby possibly selling out - and unfortunately, we all know how easy it is at that distance, to hit the 2-rail 11 ball bank bad - I know I've hit it bad a million times.........Myself, I'm banking the 13 ball here - pocket speed...it looks to me like it banks, even if it's frozen, and I believe you can just avoid the 11 ball with the cue ball, using outside english..... You can also choose to shoot it loaded up with inside english - The advantage to this is, you get shape on the 9 ball if you make it, and you avoid hitting the 11 ball for sure - The disadvantage is that it's much harder to make the bank when you shoot it loaded up with inside english.

Now, if instead of being behind in balls, I was the one ahead here 6 to 5, I would strongly consider playing a safety instead.

- Ghost

Ps, Hey Dick, whadda ya say, are you with me on this one, or no ?

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
endgame

endgame

Shoot the 13 with inside, get shapes on the 9 and you don't sell out the 11. Get as comfortable hitting balls with inside as you are with outside. Right you are Ghost.

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Shoot the 13 with inside, get shapes on the 9 and you don't sell out the 11. Get as comfortable hitting balls with inside as you are with outside. Right you are Ghost.

I like both ways of shooting the 13. Below are a couple of passive responses that could start to turn the tide in your favor. My shot choice would be determined by a number of factors that have been discussed on this forum before.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaUd4Iagn2KXuJ1MDAh4PHpL2fXuJ2fbPK1fLvA4kHpL2kVJH2kVdj2kawr3kSKj@

http://CueTable.com/P/?@2Gade4IbFm2...fRUi1fawi4fOFM4kHAH2kWvu2kXEu2kbPt2kbPt2kSri@

Not sure why I can't post the table picture.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Whether the two-railer would go without risking a kiss would really depend on how the table is playing -- rails with good "grip" might make it a good shot to go for. If I were behind, I would be inclined to send it towards home, but planning to miss it on the long-rail side to avoid the kiss. I also like the idea of drifting the cue ball towards that hanging 7-ball if I am significantly behind, just gently enough so that my opponent is either left shooting over the 7, or the seven goes to the spot -- not so hard that I could follow the 7 in!

Something like this:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaMe4Iagn2KYDK1MDAh4PHpL2fYDK2fayi2fTxk4fWMs4kHpL2kWWu2kYfO@[/CUETABLE]
Leaving this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4GATX4Iagn4KWMs1MDAh2PYfO@[/CUETABLE]

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
If this shot lays, it is definitely the strongest move, but it HAS to lay right. Your opponent is immediately on the defensive, and thats the name of the game. If the shot lays short of this, the two-railer on the same ball can work, but it is a weaker move....

NH Steve said:
Whether the two-railer would go without risking a kiss would really depend on how the table is playing -- rails with good "grip" might make it a good shot to go for. If I were behind, I would be inclined to send it towards home, but planning to miss it on the long-rail side to avoid the kiss. I also like the idea of drifting the cue ball towards that hanging 7-ball if I am significantly behind, just gently enough so that my opponent is either left shooting over the 7, or the seven goes to the spot -- not so hard that I could follow the 7 in!

Something like this:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaMe4Iagn2KYDK1MDAh4PHpL2fYDK2fayi2fTxk4fWMs4kHpL2kWWu2kYfO@[/CUETABLE]
Leaving this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4GATX4Iagn4KWMs1MDAh2PYfO@[/CUETABLE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
"Tickee"

"Tickee"

I would shoot the easiest shot to execute, a billiard "tickee" rail first behind the 11 ball, the Q ball cant scratch and might knock off the 7 ball. You leave the bank on the 9 but all the balls are now on your side. the bank is not even a good shot to shoot at (it's a bad angle and the cue ball is 5 ft away). The only way it's good is if you make it. Once he misses the 9 ball bank (if he shoots at it) you can easily shoot it back to your side, he might leave you a free bank on it, or if he hits the 9 too hard you should have a free bank on one of the other balls. You sacrifice giving up a marginal shot in order to solidify and strengthen your position.

the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
I would shoot the easiest shot to execute, a billiard "tickee" rail first behind the 11 ball, the Q ball cant scratch and might knock off the 7 ball. You leave the bank on the 9 but all the balls are now on your side. the bank is not even a good shot to shoot at (it's a bad angle and the cue ball is 5 ft away). The only way it's good is if you make it. Once he misses the 9 ball bank (if he shoots at it) you can easily shoot it back to your side, he might leave you a free bank on it, or if he hits the 9 too hard you should have a free bank on one of the other balls. You sacrifice giving up a marginal shot in order to solidify and strengthen your position.

the Beard
Freddy's talking about going rail first behind the 11, like this, or there abouts:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaMe4Iagn2KYDK1MDAh4PHpL2fYDK1fLId4kHpL2kaxs2kaaA2kbBN2kalP@[/CUETABLE]

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
NH Steve said:
Freddy's talking about going rail first behind the 11, like this, or there abouts:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2GaMe4Iagn2KYDK1MDAh4PHpL2fYDK1fLId4kHpL2kaxs2kaaA2kbBN2kalP@[/CUETABLE]

I like most of the replies. Freddy's is the easiest and safest. Steve's shot also accomplishes a lot.

If the 13 was a little off the rail like the later diagram (original diagram appears to show 13 frozen) I would go for the bank with top left to swing around the 11 ball and hit it pocket speed as Ghost says.

However, I would not load it up with inside from 9' away. Too many bad things can happen. I could double kiss it and make the 7 ball leaving my opponent out.

If it is frozen, no bank. I shoot Freddy or Steve's shot.

george

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
If this shot lays, it is definitely the strongest move, but it HAS to lay right. Your opponent is immediately on the defensive, and thats the name of the game. If the shot lays short of this, the two-railer on the same ball can work, but it is a weaker move....

I would just cut the 7 in from there. Seriously, I would. :)

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=A6shWW7GsK4[/ame]

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Roy Steffensen said:
I would just cut the 7 in from there. Seriously, I would. :)

- a little low left off the head rail into the 7 to pocket it and slide down to freeze the cb to the 11 and the cushion. The 7 comes back to the spot and he's on defense with big problems even if he can see the 13.

Skin

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:
- a little low left off the head rail into the 7 to pocket to pocket it and slide down to freeze the cb to the 11 and the cushion. The 7 comes back to the spot and he's on defense with big problems even if he can see the 13.

Skin

Skin, after reading this shot choice of yours - you are my kind of guy...to want to play against that is....:D

- Ghost

Skin

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Skin, after reading this shot choice of yours - you are my kind of guy...to want to play against that is....:D

- Ghost

Well, Ghost, I happen to be home for lunch and just set it up. Got the leave exactly like I said - not hard. I guess that was you shooting when I hummed the two-railer on the 13 in and got perfect shape on the 7 to win. :D

I'm telling ya, I am way too dumb for this game!

Skin

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:
Well, Ghost, I happen to be home for lunch and just set it up. Got the leave exactly like I said - not hard. I guess that was you shooting when I hummed the two-railer on the 13 in and got perfect shape on the 7 to win. :D

I'm telling ya, I am way too dumb for this game!

Skin

Nah, I don't think your dumb - I'm thinking maybe you just have too much money....:)

- Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
If I were comfortable with the table speed I think I would bank the 13 pocket speed. If not, I really like Steves shot only I would for sure try and find the angle to follow thru to make the 7. The further you get the 11 down table, the more problem you create for player A.

Dick <---my "white flag" mentality rarely lets me shoot sensible shots. :rolleyes:
Dick <-- thinks Roy and Skin may be mentally unballanced. :eek:
Dick <---also thinks Freddy and Artie are scaredy cats. ;)

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
I like most of the replies. Freddy's is the easiest and safest. Steve's shot also accomplishes a lot.

If the 13 was a little off the rail like the later diagram (original diagram appears to show 13 frozen) I would go for the bank with top left to swing around the 11 ball and hit it pocket speed as Ghost says.

However, I would not load it up with inside from 9' away. Too many bad things can happen. I could double kiss it and make the 7 ball leaving my opponent out.

If it is frozen, no bank. I shoot Freddy or Steve's shot.

george
Freddys the best shot hiking behind the 11 ball and I would do the same thing I would try to kick the 11 ball in the corner pocket. REal slow and try to make the 11 ball and freeze the cue ball to the 7 and spot the 11 ball on the spot. And if I make the 11 ball and the 7 ball thats ok to the both go on the spot and I still havv the move on my oponient. And that is what I would do. But the score in the game is very important and will change what shot I shoot and why. If I need all 4 balls I mite bank the 13 ball and get position on the nine ball. Then get position to banck the 11 ball then make the 7 ball and try to corner hook him. And the 7 ball goes on the spot. And I will have the move on him and he will be on deffense. And If I corner hook him that wiil be great. But that would be the shot I would shoot if I needed all balls. Because I mitf not get a better chance to win. And If I get a perfect angle to bank the 11 ball and I mite even follow the cue ball to kake the 7 ball or freeze him to the 7 ball if I make the 7 and the 11 ball the seven spots up. BUt if I need 2 or 3 balls I would kick behind the 11 ball and shoot my first shot. And If I need one ball and my opponent needs all the ball I would shoot a completly different shot. THe score dictates what shot I shoot. And If I need one ball what do you think I would shoot? This is what I would do.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. Every response was very interesting and i personally will improve because of your imput. The shot I liked was similar to Steves, which was to cross the 11 ball and run up to or into and pocket the 7 ball. But now im going to learn and practice each solution posted and that will surely help my game and hopefully the game of others who viewed and posted. Im going to post another end game situation in right after dinner and i hope you all add some suggestion to that one. Thanks again. Sappo

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
If I were comfortable with the table speed I think I would bank the 13 pocket speed. If not, I really like Steves shot only I would for sure try and find the angle to follow thru to make the 7. The further you get the 11 down table, the more problem you create for player A.

Dick <---my "white flag" mentality rarely lets me shoot sensible shots. :rolleyes:

Mentally unballanced? :p The 7 is a hanger! :D

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:

I have given you one of the most important points in the game. THe score is what dictates what shot to shot.THe SCORE is the major factor to winning the GAME.Not just shooting the correct shot. And every one is holding on to shooting the correct shot. ITs the correct and best percentage shot. Its a lot about when to shoot and when not to shot. I am also trying to get you to THINK deeper into the game. You gave the correct answer when you said that you would try all of them. Learn them all and put them in your memory bank. If shooting the correct shot is a scardy cat. Then shooting the wrong shot must make you a ginuess. Winning is the name of the GAME. And the best way to win. Is the correct answer. Not how long it takes or what a brave dumb shot you shot. You can be the hero.And I will be the winner no matter how long it takes and I will let you shot the bad percentage shots. I will take the best of the percentages and win.