The best bank player?

carscotty

I was told their was a guy in Kentucky (I think) that never left town, that was a best bank player.. my source is a very good one but he couldn't remember his name. Would anyone know who he is? He said he played everyone that came through and beat them. He beat T.H, Taylor, Squirrel, etc.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bob Bowles

Bob Bowles

carscotty said:
I was told their was a guy in Kentucky (I think) that never left town, that was a best bank player.. my source is a very good one but he couldn't remember his name. Would anyone know who he is? He said he played everyone that came through and beat them. He beat T.H, Taylor, Squirrel, etc.

Bob Bowles. However, Bob's usual bet's ranged from $3 to $5 a game.

Beard

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
Hell there are quite a few players like that....wont/can't gamble high.

Mikey Betts was a very solid strong player back in the 70's-80's (died about 3-4yrs ago,tulsa native) played well up untill his death. Mike was a champion for lunch money.....but play high stakes and he wilted.

Side note: made a dam good hitting cue also, took the name after what they called him.....Silky cues, mike had a stroke smooth as silk :) Mike was house pro up at Magoos for years, and made cues out of there. Michelle McDermott (Jim McDermotts daughter and owner of Magoos/tulsa billiards palace) still has her Silky that her uncle mike made for her....she won't shoot with anything else.;)

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Have heard about Bob Boles. Buddy Hall mentions in his book that Eddie Taylor says Boles and a man by the name of "Kentuck" were the best he ever played. Anyone heard of a guy named "Marlboro" from around the Mt Sterling, Kentucky area? First heard the name about 10 years ago, story has it that no one had to like it in his home room.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
JG-in-KY said:
Have heard about Bob Boles. Buddy Hall mentions in his book that Eddie Taylor says Boles and a man by the name of "Kentuck" were the best he ever played. Anyone heard of a guy named "Marlboro" from around the Mt Sterling, Kentucky area? First heard the name about 10 years ago, story has it that no one had to like it in his home room.

Eddie Taylor told me "Kentucky" was the best he'd played and that after getting a string of bad rolls he (KY) said "I'm gonna see about this crap" and went down to the river bridge and jumped off.
Rod.

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
androd said:
Eddie Taylor told me "Kentucky" was the best he'd played and that after getting a string of bad rolls he (KY) said "I'm gonna see about this crap" and went down to the river bridge and jumped off.
Rod.

So did the bad rolls continue and he drowned, or did he get a good roll back to the bank? Only to bank again lol?

carscotty

JG-in-KY said:
I thought Marlboro was from the mountains of Tennessee (I don't know for sure) and banks like burning hell. He's a very big guy 350-400lbs and smokes like a frieght train, doesn't travel.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Buddy's brother "Ray??" used to come in to our poolhall and for $5 he didn't miss. For more he seemed to not play so well. He had an established game with a local guy and they played over a weekend.

carscotty

Checked out

Checked out

fred bentivegna said:
Bob Bowles. However, Bob's usual bet's ranged from $3 to $5 a game.

Beard
Hey Freddy my friend was impressed that you knew who he was. It was driving him crazy, he couldn't remember his name for nothing.:)

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
carscotty said:
I thought Marlboro was from the mountains of Tennessee (I don't know for sure) and banks like burning hell. He's a very big guy 350-400lbs and smokes like a frieght train, doesn't travel.

I might have just assumed he was from Mt Sterling, because that was where I was when I heard about him. I heard he had just BBQ 'd Brumback!

carscotty

JG-in-KY said:
I might have just assumed he was from Mt Sterling, because that was where I was when I heard about him. I heard he had just BBQ 'd Brumback!
You may be right, I may have gotton my wires crossed (dunno for sure). Yes you heard right, he did!