Sylver Ochoa

Skin

Verified Member
Just wondering what others think about that Texan's game after taking 2nd at DCC and winning Gabe's Tulsa tournament. Is he (his style) the future? I haven't seen a lot of him but what I have seen is that he shoots straight and has learned some shots & moves in the past year. Mainly, though, his strength seems to be that he is a very careful shooter/player. Your thoughts?

Skin

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Skin said:
Just wondering what others think about that Texan's game after taking 2nd at DCC and winning Gabe's Tulsa tournament. Is he (his style) the future? I haven't seen a lot of him but what I have seen is that he shoots straight and has learned some shots & moves in the past year. Mainly, though, his strength seems to be that he is a very careful shooter/player. Your thoughts?

Skin

I had heard about Sylver and finally got to watch him play at a 4th of July one pocket tournament at Hollywood Billiards directed bt Jay Helfert in 2008. He came in 2nd to Scott Frost in the tournament and they matched up with Sylver getting a little weight on two nights after the tournament. I sweated some of the gambling action and was very impressed with his game.

Next time I got to see him play was at the Derby and his game was even better. He just does everything well with a lot of composure. Then he wins the Oklahoma one pocket event and since then has won a 9 ball tournament in Texas.

He is a great young player who keeps getting better and will be around a while.

senor

Verified Member
Skin said:

Skin

Gunslinger :cool:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Let me put it to you this way, I was at the 1-pocket tourney in Tulsa and thought that Jeremy Jones was playing the best. All shots were well thought out and executed to perfection...until he played Sylver. Sylver beat him 4-0 and Jeremy was only in one of the games, Sylver controlled the rest.

Mr. Ochoa is playing awesome one pocket, and it's not just because he executes whatever he attempts, but he knows a lot about the game. Oh, he also controls whitey pretty dang well, too. And, he seems to adapt to table conditions better than most. The Diamond at this tournament played slower and the rails played differently and getting complaints, Sylver handled it all in stride - like the champion he is.

Sylver Ochoa is a great player and very young - if he chooses, he will be at the top of our sport for many years to come.

Dave

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Lucky for Sylver !

Lucky for Sylver !

I agree with John H. and the others. He is a force to be reckoned with.

He is very lucky he isn't trying to establish his game back when AB and the Beard were in their prime...They would have destroyed [sic] him...:eek:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
He is very lucky he isn't trying to establish his game back when AB and the Beard were in their prime...They would have destroyed [sic] him...:eek:

How can you leave out the Ghost, who is at the top of his game right now.

jay helfert

Verified Member
I'm also impressed with Sylver. Still very young (maybe 24) and yet quite mature for his age. Way ahead of the normal pool learning curve. He is constantly improving too! How good he becomes is anyone's guess. My guess is that he is Efren's heir apparent.

One Pocket is ALL about cue ball control, more so than in any other pool game. A lot of people don't realize that. I know Freddie does. The moves won't work if your cue ball isn't tight. :cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jay helfert said:
I'm also impressed with Sylver. Still very young (maybe 24) and yet quite mature for his age. Way ahead of the normal pool learning curve. He is constantly improving too! How good he becomes is anyone's guess. My guess is that he is Efren's heir apparent.

One Pocket is ALL about cue ball control, more so than in any other pool game. A lot of people don't realize that. I know Freddie does. The moves won't work if your cue ball isn't tight. :cool:
Another young player that plays pretty heads up one pocket is Nick Vita. I think those two are similar in age, and could be bumping heads for a while.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ochoa must have come a long way in the past year. I just watched his match with Biloxi Mike Surber from the 2009 DCC, where he made many small errors and was fortunate to win a hill-hill match in a wild finish. A couple of games he opened up a big lead and could not hold it. :eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
vapros said:
Ochoa must have come a long way in the past year. I just watched his match with Biloxi Mike Surber from the 2009 DCC, where he made many small errors and was fortunate to win a hill-hill match in a wild finish. A couple of games he opened up a big lead and could not hold it. :eek:
Very perceptive of you, Vapros. That was the match where Mike mistakenly thought they were to play bank pool, rather than 1P. He'd been warming up his bank game on the table with the cue he used for bank pool, and he was in top bank form. He won the lag, and racked the balls for 9-ball banks. Sylver went up to him and said, "Mike, we're playing one-pocket." So Mike racked the full rack and changed cues, then broke the balls.

He told me that it took him almost the full first game, which he lost, to get his mind into one-pocket. I think the outcome of that match would have been different had Mike been properly prepared mentally.

Nevertheless, it was a good match, and Mike nearly came back to snatch the victory. There is also a good recorded match between he and Joyner from the 2007 DCC. That's the one where Diliberto says, "Man, this guy Surber can really play one-pocket!"

Doc

mosconiac

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
There is also a good recorded match between he and Joyner from the 2007 DCC. That's the one where Diliberto says, "Man, this guy Surber can really play one-pocket!"

Doc
Mike probably never knew how many people took notice of his game at that event. I, for one, enjoyed watching his matches & appreciated his calm demeanor. That "underdog" proved he had some bite!

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
Fast Lenny said:
There are talks about a decent sized money match soon between the Sylver and Scott, that will be exciting. :)
I would really like to see this match up happen. I wonder what Sylver would have to give Scott?

Skin

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
There are talks about a decent sized money match soon between the Sylver and Scott, that will be exciting. :)

Be sure to stream it, Lenny. You'll have all of onepocket.org in the chat stirring it up. ;)

Skin

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Skin said:
Be sure to stream it, Lenny. You'll have all of onepocket.org in the chat stirring it up. ;)

Skin
I would very much like to stream it for FREE because I doubt if I do not do it that it will be, we shall see what happens. I think it will be a good match and I hope it comes together. :)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Skin said:

Skin

I sure do like him, he is a good guy. He is 24 and very mature. He has a great one pocket brain. Plays hard, I believe he will be around onepocket for alot of years to come and be a top player for a very very long time to come. I have played him once and am looking foward to playing him again. He has 100% of my respect.

best
eric

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Sylver, If you are checking this post my health is improved. I have been hitting the balls around. I just received my SS check and would love to play you JUST one more time. As you can see my aka is TWO PICKS and thats what I need now to play. Your Friend Doyle at Bananas.

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
Sylver

Sylver

I would describe Sylver's game the same way I describe Buddy Hall's 1p game.
and before you have a mental miscue, I love how buddy plays all games and consider him a friend. Now...

I have said: "Buddy plays great not because of how much one pocket knowledge he has...but because he can DO what he knows."

this is also how I feel about Sylver's game. He plays within himself. If he maintains his composure and ability to execute, AND continues to study the game... he will be at or near the top for a couple of decades.

know what else? He's a nice guy! Imagine that!