heres a quickie for st pats day
one ball one pocket
be back around 6
both need one
shannons shot
cc1.jpg

Last edited:

desertshark

Cut it toward the pocket with high outside English. If you don't make it and dont scratch it doesn't leave much of a shot for the other player.

beatle

Verified Member
low right stab at it. bank it to your hole and bring the cue ball around to the long rail down table so you dont scratch. practice your speed on this shot as it comes up in different forms every game that goes to the last few balls. if you hit it well you can be a 60% favorite usually from this spot against most players that arent better than you.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
this is a shot that comes up a lot in the end game. trying to bank the spotted ball results in a sell out quite often. in order to bank the ball over to your hole requires you hitting the shot hard and as a result you will lose control of whitey. i feel the best solution here is to hit the object ball a bit thicker than you would if you are trying to make the bank and to play the speed that will leave the the object ball on the bottom rail around the middle diamond. this speed will allow the cue ball to stop up by the top rail. from that position you will put some pressure on your opponent. however if you are irish today may be the right time to go for the bank. keith

bstroud

Verified Member
The photo is a little deceiving.

I seem to get this shot a lot and always just cut it in with center high.

worst case I miss the entire ball and come back the the end rail

bill S.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Since growing a bit older and my eyes growing older with me, I have adopted a rule that I will not shoot this as a cut shot for my pocket if the angle for the shot leads back from the edge of the object ball, thourgh the cue ball, and inside the first diamond from the side rail.

This shot, from this angle is not a high percentage shot for even the most skilled shooter. It is bad enough to miss the shot all together but it is also very possible to strike the object ball a hair too thick and scratch, needlessly giving up a spot shot for the game. I will wait for a better opportunity.

That being said, I don't want my opponent shooting this shot for his pocket either. The reason being that if he or she has chosen to shoot this shot it is because they are confident about their chances. An opponent with confidence is always dangerous.

Tom

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
this is a shot that comes up a lot in the end game. trying to bank the spotted ball results in a sell out quite often. in order to bank the ball over to your hole requires you hitting the shot hard and as a result you will lose control of whitey. i feel the best solution here is to hit the object ball a bit thicker than you would if you are trying to make the bank and to play the speed that will leave the the object ball on the bottom rail around the middle diamond. this speed will allow the cue ball to stop up by the top rail. from that position you will put some pressure on your opponent. however if you are irish today may be the right time to go for the bank. keith

This is exactly the way I shoot this shot. No need to get too aggressive here. You've worked too hard to get to this point to give it away here.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Shannon is very capable of banking the ball 2 rails, up & back, while rolling the CB 3 rails safe. I'm not sure if there's a kiss. But playing Frost, Shannon would probably not take that shot. One safety is to simply try to bank the 8-ball off the foot rail back to roughly where it is, while floating the CB down towards the 1st diamond up from Frost's hole.

Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If there's room to stroke the ball, its really not that bad of a bank. Sure i've sold out but have also had guys make the ball after playing safe. Its a bank I do practice and hit fairly well if I'm not shaking:eek:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I remember Grady saying that he had a rule of thumb for this situation -- he would play the back cut as long as the cue ball was 1" from the pocket point on the foot rail side of the pocket. You can see here, the cue ball is not -- it's right in the middle of the pocket.

I'm playing a simple safety banking the 8-ball softly to my side and dropping the cue ball down to the foot rail.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-03-17_20-12-30.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-03-17_20-12-30.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If you cut this in, you have a great chance of going two rail then into that corner which you lay now on many tables. I dont cut this from here. it's funny, I independently play about the same rule as tom; if the cb is a diamond over here, I probably cut it.

I just aim to hit this bank thick, much like what sappo said. i have always played it like that.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
2 toi

2 toi

If you have been watching CJ's video about TOI then you have a chance to execute this shot. I like banking the ball toward your pocket with two tips of inside. Of course you don't shoot the shot to make it, but you do shoot it hard enough for the spotted ball to travel 3/4 of the distance cross table. The spotted ball should end up about a diamond away from the pocket near the cushion and the cue ball should go straight down table to near the center diamond. I don't like shooting this shot with outside english because the side pocket is too large of an obstacle. Plus with inside english it's a much easier hit, and you take out the scratch possibility. Try this shot, I think you'll like it.

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If you have been watching CJ's video about TOI then you have a chance to execute this shot. I like banking the ball toward your pocket with two tips of inside. Of course you don't shoot the shot to make it, but you do shoot it hard enough for the spotted ball to travel 3/4 of the distance cross table. The spotted ball should end up about a diamond away from the pocket near the cushion and the cue ball should go straight down table to near the center diamond. I don't like shooting this shot with outside english because the side pocket is too large of an obstacle. Plus with inside english it's a much easier hit, and you take out the scratch possibility. Try this shot, I think you'll like it.

Dr. Bill

This is pretty much the same shot Sappo suggests except he takes the object ball to the middle diamond and you take it to the diamond nearest your hole. Bascially the same shot if he uses a TOI. Either of your shots would be my choice.