Side rail break

u12armresl

Verified Member
I'm curious if you are seeing a lot more people using the side rail break.

Not talking about funzies here, but tournament or otherwise.

That's my break, I like it, and can reasonably control it.
Now everyone who plays at the place I play uses it and I don't get no jelly from it.

Of course I didn't invent it, but I brought it back from the dead.

Wonder what player did invent it?

u12armresl

Verified Member
OK, let's be reasonable here.

There is no one, no one in the world who could do the normal grazing one pocket break and guarantee that they wont scratch. That's a liability.

You can't scratch on the side rail break, but you can kick the corner ball to a straight pool angle and give the other player a ball and possibly a bank on the next one.

ive seen it and tried it as far back as the 1960's. and all of those that stuck with it went broke.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I used it exclusively during Strawberry's II International One Pocket Tournament. Races to five single elimination. I made a ball on the break better than twice each match and ran out most of those times. I got a great spread, and I never sold out.

Before the tournament I went around to each of the tables and experimented with how close to the side rail I could place the cue ball and how aggressive I could attack the break without selling out. I found that those tables accepted it without any problem. It won me the tournament. Just ask Parica and Joyner, they know.

Each table is different and the atmospheric conditions are different. You just have to know what each table can offer and play within those limitations.

Start out conservative and with a high cue ball and very little English,and as you learn the table will accept more from your break, work your way closer to the side rail and use a touch more English and speed. If you sell out with a good hit on the front two balls taper back until you find just the right location, speed, and swerve. This method has worked very well for me over many, many years.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I'm curious if you are seeing a lot more people using the side rail break.

Not talking about funzies here, but tournament or otherwise.

That's my break, I like it, and can reasonably control it.
Now everyone who plays at the place I play uses it and I don't get no jelly from it.

Of course I didn't invent it, but I brought it back from the dead.

Wonder what player did invent it?

Just to be clear. You are kicking into the rack? Are you aiming to contact between the first two balls?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Side Break

Side Break

Jeff Heath, a good player from Reno, uses this break. He shoots pretty hard and stiffs the angle a little, coming into the bottom balls in the rack.

It works for him MOST of the time, but I don't think it is more effective than the standard break. I tried it recently after watching his break, and the cue ball went right through the stack and I sold out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
???????????????????? what's the answer

Tom Wirth is talking about the conventional break -- that's what he used for Strawberry's tournament. But prior to the tournament he practiced how aggressively he could play it without selling out, which was very aggressively, so he made a ball with it quite a few times en route to winning that tournament.

I tried using the side rail break for a while now and then a few years back. Like JHendy describes, I was shortening the angle off the side rail in order to come into the stack at a squarer angle. I started doing it after playing an old timer (Norm Webber) who used it on me.

Being on the receiving end of that break, it took a few games for me to get used to how to get out of it, which is most frequently having to kick across the short end of the table to start with. If your opponent is reasonably adept at kicking, they will get out pretty quickly. I think the main problem/difference with the side rail break vs the conventional break is that the balls don't tend to open up as much with the side rail, and balls don't end up quite as close (or in) the breaker's pocket as much as they do with the conventional break. That's why the conventional break is so prevalent. That's my opinion anyway.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It was used some in the 60's but two balls had to hit the rail on the break. The CB and one more or two OB's. Makes it a different deal. I understand now only one has to hit the rail. Oh well one more rule change. :)
Rod.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Yes.

I put the cue ball as close to the second diamond from the kitchen and about 2 balls width from the rail, and I kick to the halfway point between the side pocket and the first diamond.

This usually puts me between the 1st and 2nd ball.

I did it playing everyone I played at Red Shoes, so It's not just some novelty I'm trying to exude bravado, but several people did comment about the results of my break.

You are right that your first shot (barring the corner ball sell out) is a short side kick with you possibly owing a ball.

Sorry, NH Steve I do have to disagree with you on the "they will get out pretty quickly" a lot of times they owe a ball, or make it so easy to thin the pack and stick them right back where they were to begin with.

I don't say this to argue Steve, hoping that we can have a good conversation about this. It's become so popular down here to use that break.

Just to be clear. You are kicking into the rack? Are you aiming to contact between the first two balls?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
My apologies, from your initial post I obviously thought you were referring to those players breaking from close to the side rail as opposed to those who like to place the cue ball more or less about eight inches from the side rail and use the same front two balls as the target.

That kick break is a dog, imo, and should rarely be used. Using it on a bar table is fine but on the big tables you will not benefit as much with that break as you will from the typical break. A player may wish to use the kick break if the corner ball is coming out every time with any of the standard breaks.

You will never run out from the break with the kick break but the standard break gives you a chance to do just that. The standard break is standard for a reason. Experienced players over many decades, and countless One Pocket games played, have determined that it offers the best overall results.

Tom

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
My take on the one-rail kick break is this: Yes, it seems to makes sense to kick at it and obtain an angle that drives balls directly at your hole. The problem, as with all kick shots (particularly one-rail kicks), is that it is very difficult to guarantee an exact hit. Therefore, its problem is one of predictability as far as what will happen with the CB and what will happen with the other man's corner ball. It is for that reason that many people shy away from it.

Having said that, I will say this - one of my local mentors who plays perfect ol' time one pocket will break like this against me on my table after he does 8 or 10 practice kicks. It CAN end up strong.

However, perhaps above all, this game is a game of percentages, and I think you will find that this break is not as strong as the conventional break in the long run. Also, I like Grady's philosophy about breaking, which went something like this: "I usually don't try to win with the break...I try not to lose, instead."

Or, perhaps in a less angular fashion, the Freezer commented, "Anybody that's using that break, call me and let's gamble!"

u12armresl

Verified Member
As Ghost said in another post when asked how I played, "honestly, I watched a few shots and saw you were not any good, so I quit watching"

A guy my speed couldn't run 8 with a standard break, so it's nice to push 4-5 balls to my side with a potential of the other player either taking a scratch or kicking and missing any of the balls on my side and owing one.

My apologies, from your initial post I obviously thought you were referring to those players breaking from close to the side rail as opposed to those who like to place the cue ball more or less about eight inches from the side rail and use the same front two balls as the target.

That kick break is a dog, imo, and should rarely be used. Using it on a bar table is fine but on the big tables you will not benefit as much with that break as you will from the typical break. A player may wish to use the kick break if the corner ball is coming out every time with any of the standard breaks.

You will never run out from the break with the kick break but the standard break gives you a chance to do just that. The standard break is standard for a reason. Experienced players over many decades, and countless One Pocket games played, have determined that it offers the best overall results.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
after 100 years of one pocket (my guestimate)
there must be a reason the standard break is what most of the pros do
think about that
jmho
icbw