RA Challenge for $10,000

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well if it's 10 ahead, that would be a grueling match. I wonder how RA would hold up? Helfert countered with race to 10 with Little Al. Some were proposing Henderson, but he and RA are good buds, so they're not going to gamble high with each other. With the 72 age requirement, Artie and others wouldn't qualify. Maybe Danny and RA could have a rematch. If RA's not just blowing hot air, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.:cool:

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'd like some of Jay's end if it happened....I already posted in another thread on here last year, that imo, 'Little Al' is the best 72 or over One Pocket player around.

- Ghost

PS, A few years ago 'patch eye' also played that speed, but probably not anymore.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'd like some of Jay's end if it happened....I already posted in another thread on here last year, that imo, 'Little Al' is the best 72 or over One Pocket player around.

- Ghost

PS, A few years ago 'patch eye' also played that speed, but probably not anymore.
I second that motion about Lil Al

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Frank Almanza said:
I second that motion about Lil Al

I know I don't want anymore with Little Al, especially in Bellflower. I might try some up here, but would be an underdog. That usually doesn't keep me from playing LOL.

Don't sell Ronnie short. He is 72 and if he wants to play that means he has been playing some.

Ronnie may also have another advantage. He has spotted Al as much as 9/7 and won over the years. Sometimes they played 9/7, 8/7 and Al won, but I do not think they ever played even.

Time for a Ronnie/Little Al story:

In the late 70's early 80's, Ronnie had lined up a game with Al for $500 a set, Al getting 9/7, to play at the Golden Cue in Rosemead, CA (Now in So. El Monte).

Ronnie arrived early and asked me to come to the bar next door for a drink. He told me he really liked the daily double that day at Santa Anita and blew $150 of the stake $$. He knew I would not go in with him cause I liked Al getting 9/7. He had a brand new Szamboti cue that had never hit a ball with him. He gave me the cue to hold, and if he lost I could keep the cue for giving him $150.00.

I wanted that cue and rooted for Little Al with all my heart, but Ronnie played like a madman and won two sets. I got a little jelly roll for my help, but boy did I want that cue.

He always could bring it with all the chips against him. I will make a small bet on Ronnie if they play.

cuesmith

Verified Member
Danny DiLiberto just called me and told me that he hopes that Ronnie has a stakehorse for this challenge. He's had several people call him, willing to put him in the box and feels Ronnie has no chance to beat him. I like Danny's end of this also.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
differing opinion...

differing opinion...

cuesmith said:
Danny DiLiberto just called me and told me that he hopes that Ronnie has a stakehorse for this challenge. He's had several people call him, willing to put him in the box and feels Ronnie has no chance to beat him. I like Danny's end of this also.

Can't see that match (or very many others on here) ever coming to fruition...But if DD and RA played, you would have the wrong horse AGAIN... if you picked DD.

The Duck <---would take RA for a decent wager..:p

PS..Little Al would be a horse of a different color...ICBW but I think RA has slipped too far for that match. All of us seem to age differently...but at some point, the balls don't go in the hole, and the cue ball doesn't stop where you want it to...fact of life...:(

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

cuesmith

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Can't see that match (or very many others on here) ever coming to fruition...But if DD and RA played, you would have the wrong horse AGAIN... if you picked DD.

The Duck <---would take RA for a decent wager..:p

PS..Little Al would be a horse of a different color...ICBW but I think RA has slipped too far for that match. All of us seem to age differently...but at some point, the balls don't go in the hole, and the cue ball doesn't stop where you want it to...fact of life...:(

Well I don't know what you mean by "AGAIN" but if RA wants to play DD, Danny has stakehorses and YOU can get some action from me!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Looks like R.A. found a backer he doesn't like.

Who should I bet on? A 72 year old fat drunk or a recovering stroke victim?

Decisions decisions.

RBL
seems to me the only definite match at the moment is john henderson vs little al a race to 5 for $4000

SJDinPHX

Suspended
cuesmith said:
Well I don't know what you mean by "AGAIN" but if RA wants to play DD, Danny has stakehorses and YOU can get some action from me!

By "again" I meant their 20K match in Phx. late 80's. RA was starting his downward slide, and DD was playing near his best 1 pocket....He couldn't win then, and I'd be very surprised if he could now...Save your $$$.

I like Danny's 14.1 game, but he never really became a top 1 Pocket player...JMHO

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
If I recall that match at the Golden Cue correctly from the video....Danny had a shot at game/set/match ball, and dogged it.

The day where RA jumped up on him, and won the majority of the games, I recall several "Boy he got away with murder" moments.

I definitely am NOT saying Danny could beat a Prime Ronnie, but that match could have been won by ONE shot-or severely changed if it weren't for a SLEW of bad rolls in Ronnie's favor.

Anyone else with the set that watched it think the same? Was it the 7-ball? The off-angle shot Danny took to dog the match?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

You are right of course, BUT I AM ONLY 71 1/2 and we are playing during the tournament in Mtn View at CA Billiards.

I will bring a little extra for a few sweat bets for you and others that think Al has the best of it. I expect it to be a tough match, but we will see. Should be fun.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
newfosgatesucks said:
If I recall that match at the Golden Cue correctly from the video....Danny had a shot at game/set/match ball, and dogged it.

The day where RA jumped up on him, and won the majority of the games, I recall several "Boy he got away with murder" moments.

I definitely am NOT saying Danny could beat a Prime Ronnie, but that match could have been won by ONE shot-or severely changed if it weren't for a SLEW of bad rolls in Ronnie's favor.

Anyone else with the set that watched it think the same? Was it the 7-ball? The off-angle shot Danny took to dog the match?

nfgs.....I watched it a few years ago, and I don't remember the end of the match, but you are right about the rolls - Ronnie definitely got the best of them...

That said, imo, they were a very even match at that point in time...might be even now also....in their primes though, of course, Danny had no chance against Ronnie.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
You are right of course, BUT I AM ONLY 71 1/2 and we are playing during the tournament in Mtn View at CA Billiards.

I will bring a little extra for a few sweat bets for you and others that think Al has the best of it. I expect it to be a tough match, but we will see. Should be fun.

I don't know who has the best of it with you and Al, and never gave an opinion - I would imagine it's a close game....what I said was, that I believe Al has way the best of it against Ronnie.

- Ghost