Remembering Grady Mathews

JAM

Verified Member
I was going through my photos this morning, looking for a TBT (Throwback Thursday) photo to share on my Facebook page, and I came across this one taken in 1986 of Grady and me. I was working at Champion's in Silver Spring at the time.

Attachments

• Me and Grady.jpg
    Me and Grady.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
This memorial tribute to Grady really brought tears to my eyes, watching it this morning. I think everyone on this forum will enjoy seeing this, even if you have already seen it previously. It's pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSdd1cFrdtE

JAM

Verified Member
This short 2-minute video was taken at Grady's Place in Columbia, SC, right before Grady passed way. It's very nice: HERE.

I think Grady is wearing his glasses upside-down in this one.

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Grady and Bob Ogburn produced a very classy senior's tournament in Florida. The Seminole Tribe of Florida (O.B., et al.) funded it with a large donation. Man, I sure do miss the Seminole Tribe. Their contributions to pool was very generous. They not only had a tour, but they sponsored sevearl pro players. Corey and Frankie Hernandez were a couple of the recipients.

Here's Grady with the O.B. and friends at that event.

Attachments

• Grady and the Florida Folks.JPG
    Grady and the Florida Folks.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Here's a cute shot of Grady wiuth Keith and Tony Mougey at the 2003 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship.

It was no secret that Grady had a strong disdain for substance abuse, to include alcohol and cigarettes. Grady did not drink or do drugs. He was a "straight arrow," I guess you could say. It's kind of comical to see Grady holding his coffee cup on the right and Keith holding his brown bottle and cigarette on the left. Quite the contrast.

His only vice was, well, gambling, and he sure was fun to watch when he was in action.

Attachments

• Keith Tony and Grady.jpg
    Keith Tony and Grady.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
In the early 2000s, Keith attended a tournament in Las Vegas. I did not go because of work. Well, Keith got lost, and when I say lost, he went off the radar, MIA. I soon because very depressed, so depressed that I could not eat.

Randi, Grady's wife, called me a few times to check on me, and she knew how sad I was, though I tried to put on a brave front like I was going to survive sans Keith.

She told Grady about Keith going MIA in Vegas, and I'm not sure how Grady knew how to find Keith, but he sure did locate him that same day. He talked to him, letting him know he was going to lose a "good girl." Keith called me up that same day.

I guess the reason why I will never forget Grady is not because of his pool-playing capabilities and strengths, but because he cared enough about me and my aching heart one day, so much so that he decided to intervene. I also think he knew Keith might have been engaging in some unsavory happenings in Vegas. For this reason, I will always love Grady Mathews. He was instrumental, I guess you could say, in my life.

RIP, Professor. I hope to see you in the celestial pool room.

Here's a cute shot at the 2002 US Open 9-Ball Championship, from left to right, AzB's HousePro, Grady, Randi, me, and Keith

Attachments

• 2002 US Open Mike Howerton, Grady Mathews, Randi, JAM, and Keith McCready.jpg
    2002 US Open Mike Howerton, Grady Mathews, Randi, JAM, and Keith McCready.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What a lovely tribute thread and picture display, Jennie Ann! Grady was a fascinating guy, and had a tender heart. It's pretty obvious to me that without Grady's love and promotion of one-pocket, the game we all love would not be at the level that it is today.

Your story of his admonition to Keith re his relationship with you was touching. There are many stories of Grady's thoughtfulness. After Hurricane Katrina, he was the first guy who contacted me to ask if everything was alright, and to send his good wishes.

You're right about Grady's disdain for booze and drugs. However he did smoke. When I moved here in 2000 I was still smoking. When I attended the Seniors' event that year in Biloxi, I noticed that Grady smoked too, which surprised me a little. I believe he quit shortly afterward, as did I.

Keith has publicly expressed his gratitude for your loving attention, and for you as a spouse. We all owe you thanks as well. You're not only a livin' doll, but you have promoted pool --both as a player and an advocate-- for many years. Your vigilance concerning the game itself, and commentary about the state of pro pool has been appreciated by many.

Thanks again, JAM, for a thoughtful and admirable tribute.

Very best regards,

~Doc

JAM

Verified Member
What a lovely tribute thread and picture display, Jennie Ann! Grady was a fascinating guy, and had a tender heart. It's pretty obvious to me that without Grady's love and promotion of one-pocket, the game we all love would not be at the level that it is today.

Your story of his admonition to Keith re his relationship with you was touching. There are many stories of Grady's thoughtfulness. After Hurricane Katrina, he was the first guy who contacted me to ask if everything was alright, and to send his good wishes.

You're right about Grady's disdain for booze and drugs. However he did smoke. When I moved here in 2000 I was still smoking. When I attended the Seniors' event that year in Biloxi, I noticed that Grady smoked too, which surprised me a little. I believe he quit shortly afterward, as did I.

Keith has publicly expressed his gratitude for your loving attention, and for you as a spouse. We all owe you thanks as well. You're not only a livin' doll, but you have promoted pool --both as a player and an advocate-- for many years. Your vigilance concerning the game itself, and commentary about the state of pro pool has been appreciated by many.

Thanks again, JAM, for a thoughtful and admirable tribute.

Very best regards,

~Doc

Thank you for the kind words, Doc. I really appreciate them very much. :)

I had not remembered that Grady smoked. I met him in the early '80s for the first time in Tampa, FL at Baker's pool room. I guess he was smoking then, and I had forgotten it. :eek:

He didn't do drugs or drink, though. That, I know. He really had a strong disdain for substance abuse, drugs, alcohol abuse, et cetera.

I remember one time, Keith and I were at the Glass City Open in Toledo, and Keith had a beer in his hand just about every time he was seen at this tournament. Behind the scenes, there was plenty other things going on, as well. I was trying to keep Keith on a routine to compete in the tournament, but between the gambling, socializing, OTB horses, et cetera, this proved to be a tough task. :frus

Randi and I were standing in the lobby, chatting, and on the second level of the hotel atrium, a few players were walking by, feeling no pain. One of them saw me talking to Rand, who also shared Grady's disdain for substance abuse, and he yelled out, "Hey, tell Keith that I got something for him," and he takes out this vial of pills from his pocket. He shakes it up and down and loses control. The entire vial of pills flew down to the lobby floor and spilled out of the container, little pills rolling around, right in front of Randi and me. OMG, I was so embarrassed. :eek:

I also remember Grady getting up at 5 and 6 a.m. at the hotels. I was up, too, because my body clock was used to this. He'd go out running every morning. I admired that about Grady.

Of course, all of us know how passionate Grady was about commentating. He loved it with every inch of his being. I fast-forwarded this YouTube of the memorial and put it on the part where Billy Incardona and Grady start bantering. It's vintage commentary, priceless, and so very cool. Gosh, the two of them were great together. It also nice to hear Grady's voice --->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSdd1cFrdtE#t=564

JAM

Verified Member
R.I.P GRADY
you sure are missed
JAM
thanks for the memories
:)

My pleasure. I actually cried when I saw that memorial video. Why is that we don't let people know how much we care about them when they are alive? :(

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I watch the ......

I watch the ......

.....video's and love to listen to Grady.He was special as another friend of mine who dies at 44[pancreatic].We played for many years and these guys are few and far between,cheers,James

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Of course, all of us know how passionate Grady was about commentating. He loved it with every inch of his being. I fast-forwarded this YouTube of the memorial and put it on the part where Billy Incardona and Grady start bantering. It's vintage commentary, priceless, and so very cool. Gosh, the two of them were great together. It also nice to hear Grady's voice --->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSdd1cFrdtE#t=564
I agree. Those two were probably the most enjoyable pair in commentating.

~Doc

Texdance

Grady's glasses

Grady's glasses

This short 2-minute video was taken at Grady's Place in Columbia, SC, right before Grady passed way. It's very nice: HERE.

I think Grady is wearing his glasses upside-down in this one.

Grady's glasses look like custom high top glasses made for shooting pool. When the shooter lowers his head down near the cue he can still look through the prescription part of the lens.

I first saw glasses like these, with the extra tall lenses, about 1980 in a Fort Worth (or Arlington?) TX pool hall. Back then they probably were very heavy since they had all-around plastic frames, not the semi-frameless variety Grady was wearing in the video. The glasses owner was an older gentleman from South Texas who was playing one pocket with the much younger Big Ralph Mendoza, who was possibly the best player in our region (he was also a national BCA champion in the late 70s-early 80s, don't remember exactly but the event was at the old Hotel Texas in FT W.) The guy with the special glasses did not win that session, but his glasses and his skill (and a trunk full of cash) kept him in the game for quite awhile.

I always wear large semi-aviator glasses, frameless, crafted with the bifocal segment located much higher than most people have it on their bifocals. This helps me in target shooting, both with iron sights and scopes, and in pool playing too. My tall aviators are somewhat like Grady's tall lenses, but not as good. I am saving a screenshot of your vid, so I can show my lens supplier and see if they can make me a pair like Grady's.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I was lucky enough to live in his so called backyard, when he opened the room in C/Spgs in the early seventies, don't know why he chose the WWild west but he was here, but where did he come from to decide CO was the place to be in 1970? Just made a ph call to one of Grady's old friends....Grady came from OK City then here also, he came here with someone named Norman with a funny last name. Anywho Grady was here a couple years before he opened his pool room. Grady made a score and opened the room, he had about 5 9 footers and one ten footer. In three trips, two dudes from town drove Gradys Cadillac to OK, loaded up slates/frames and made three trips to get the tables. WOW....also during the hauling of the tables, of course a broke dick pool player wants a 'free ride' and joins the two dudes/Cadillac/tables for a one way trip to CO. Her :D name was Cherie Sewell, and she could play a little back then. But the reason Grady moved here was because of Andy Dejesus, owner of a few titty and burlesque bars in the area. Andy, he loved to gamble and loved pool and somehow he was Gradys rea$on to move to the area. Many might have heard of or remember his son Andre' DeJesus, white powder, high bets and he's always holdin'....his nose is always Open, dad was Just the opposite.

JAM

Verified Member
Grady's glasses look like custom high top glasses made for shooting pool. When the shooter lowers his head down near the cue he can still look through the prescription part of the lens.

I first saw glasses like these, with the extra tall lenses, about 1980 in a Fort Worth (or Arlington?) TX pool hall. Back then they probably were very heavy since they had all-around plastic frames, not the semi-frameless variety Grady was wearing in the video. The glasses owner was an older gentleman from South Texas who was playing one pocket with the much younger Big Ralph Mendoza, who was possibly the best player in our region (he was also a national BCA champion in the late 70s-early 80s, don't remember exactly but the event was at the old Hotel Texas in FT W.) The guy with the special glasses did not win that session, but his glasses and his skill (and a trunk full of cash) kept him in the game for quite awhile.

I always wear large semi-aviator glasses, frameless, crafted with the bifocal segment located much higher than most people have it on their bifocals. This helps me in target shooting, both with iron sights and scopes, and in pool playing too. My tall aviators are somewhat like Grady's tall lenses, but not as good. I am saving a screenshot of your vid, so I can show my lens supplier and see if they can make me a pair like Grady's.

Thanks for sharing that story about Grady. Let us know if you get those cool pool glasses. That is very interesting. :)

JAM

Verified Member
I was lucky enough to live in his so called backyard, when he opened the room in C/Spgs in the early seventies, don't know why he chose the WWild west but he was here, but where did he come from to decide CO was the place to be in 1970? Just made a ph call to one of Grady's old friends....Grady came from OK City then here also, he came here with someone named Norman with a funny last name. Anywho Grady was here a couple years before he opened his pool room. Grady made a score and opened the room, he had about 5 9 footers and one ten footer. In three trips, two dudes from town drove Gradys Cadillac to OK, loaded up slates/frames and made three trips to get the tables. WOW....also during the hauling of the tables, of course a broke dick pool player wants a 'free ride' and joins the two dudes/Cadillac/tables for a one way trip to CO. Her :D name was Cherie Sewell, and she could play a little back then. But the reason Grady moved here was because of Andy Dejesus, owner of a few titty and burlesque bars in the area. Andy, he loved to gamble and loved pool and somehow he was Gradys rea$on to move to the area. Many might have heard of or remember his son Andre' DeJesus, white powder, high bets and he's always holdin'....his nose is always Open, dad was Just the opposite.

Now, that's a great Grady story, and it sounds just like him. :D

Thank you for sharing this. When I first met Grady, he was driving a silver Cadillac, the one that had points for tail lights. It was HUGE! He had a baby pitbull in the car with him and a lady friend. We all went out to dinner, and Grady treated us. I will never forget it. We were on the road and just lost all our stew at Baker's in Tampa, thanks to a ring game of 9-ball on a snooker table. :eek:

The next time I saw Grady was in 2002 in Maryland, and that is when I got to know him better. He was with Randi at this time. :cool:

Here's a little Grady factoid. Do you know how he met Randi? He met her on an online Internet dating site. When the two of them eventually met in person after a lot of back-and-forth online chatting, true love was in the air, and the rest, as they say, is history. :p

I think it is kind of cool that Grady learned how to navigate on a computer when the Internet was still at its genesis. Some folks today, especially older peeps, still cannot understand how to navigate a computer and enjoy all of it amenties. Personally, I can't imagine life without a computer today. :eek:

Then again, if there was no computer, maybe more people would be in the pool rooms actually playing pool. :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Thanks for sharing that story about Grady. Let us know if you get those cool pool glasses. That is very interesting. :)

You can order them from Canada or the U.K. I have a pair. I couldn't find them in the U.S.
Rod.
P.S. PM me if you'd like a web site.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I first saw those type glasses in Reno at the Reno Open. Howard Vickery used them, and was the sales rep for the company that made them. I never did get around to ordering a pair from him, although I had a set of huge framed glasses from the 70's which I used. I still have them! Anyway Vickery went to prison, and that was the end of that.

A friend of mine from Mobile has a pair which he uses. If anyone is interested, I'll find out where he gets them. Actually he lurks here, so perhaps he'll chime in......Mike.;)

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah, that is a real nice tribute. However I could not help but notice how many of the photos were either mine or Diana Hoppe's, and not to pour cold water or anything, I know I was not asked, and I also don't see a single photo credit. I just don't understand that kind of thing... but they did do a nice job otherwise.

I know there are other memorial slide shows for Grady too. I am pretty sure Calired did one, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. But while I was looking, I found this one, which must have been done by someone pretty close to the family because it includes a bunch of childhood and family photos that I had never seen. The technical artistry of this slideshow is not quite as refined as the one JAM found, but I think if you are a Grady fan you will enjoy this one too:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ywu7uGU_K0s[/ame]