The instant turn around

Wayne

Verified Member
It happened again today. My opponent was playing lights out 1 pocket. I was down bad and anticipating a big loss for the day :confused:. Suddenly, the instant turn around and my opponent was toast. I ended the day a winner.

This is not the first time this has happened and with exactly the same cause about thirty times over the last 10 years. The same result each time with my opponent going from a confident, free stroking winner :D to a frustrated loser as a result of one action :frus.

Can you guess the one thing that can cause this instant turn around?

It may be known by many but if no one gives the exact answer I will reveal it later today.

Wayne

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
My guess would be you made a great shot to make a ball from a position that he thought he had you trapped or maybe his wife called. Many times when this happens it because you regained your focus on the game. I know when I am not having a good day, its because I am thinking about other things instead of the game.---Smitty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
instant turn around
the jar took effect......:eek:...JUST KIDDING WAYNE....:D
i took when you said your opponent was playing lights out
you meant he was playing above his level
then he missed a routine shot
you ran out to win the game
he came down to reality

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Guy got overconfident

Guy got overconfident

He started shooting shots he shouldn't , but since he was playing well thought he could make it now. He missed and you won that game. After that he started thinking about maybe missing and lost his confident stroke. Games started going your way and he fell apart.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
play a little slower / more patient which ultimately frustrates your opponent so that he rushes more and misses a careless shot?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I'm guessing he had his out ball deep in the hole and you made a great takeout shot, won the game and as a result he was toast:heh or as in my case my ex came through the door...

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There is this one thing in particular that really gets to many players that could put them on tilt more often than almost anything else and that would be for you to miss a shot and somehow make a ball after selling out off your miss. Of course you must win the game off of this fortunate gift that goes without saying.:D

This has probably happened to all of us at some point in time but to me it's really an injustice and hard to accept. However, as I aged I have learned to accept things of this nature better, I said better.:lol

Dr. Bill

Wayne

Verified Member
Well, two of you nailed it already. In the match yesterday, he is in the middle of a divorce and his wife called. He went from having not lost a game all day to not winning another one. I have another opponent I play regularly who was divorced with young kids and anytime his ex called he was done, (he is divorced 8 years and it is rare he gets a call now but if he does =instant doom). Another top player gets a call from his wife and turns into an instant loser. Another it is the girlfriend. Lots of examples with the same effect.

I am wondering if when they are beating up on me, if I casually asked a simple question like "How is it going with ex now?" if it would trigger the effect. Or maybe I get the women's number and work out a deal for her to text something simple like "We really need to talk".

It has made me realize, more so than ever, the mental part of the game. If one major thing can trigger a complete meltdown, how many different things going on in the mind alter play. I am sure it is almost unlimited. I started working on not sharking myself about a month ago and I am seeing a lot of positive results.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Sounds like you were playing a shooter so I am going to guess that with the lead and balls out of play (wedge game) that you may have also decided to play a little more deliberate and the shooter became quite discouraged.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Now you've got me wondering. Even if the guy isn't divorced and is happily married, we all know that there are disagreements in every marriage from time to time, so....

I wonder what would happen if you asked a reasonably happily married man, "How is your Ex doing?" And when he responds, "I don't have an EX, I'm married." And then you reply, "I'm sorry, I must be thinking about someone else who was having trouble with his wife and I thought they were getting a divorce. My bad" :D

JoeyA

Well, two of you nailed it already. In the match yesterday, he is in the middle of a divorce and his wife called. He went from having not lost a game all day to not winning another one. I have another opponent I play regularly who was divorced with young kids and anytime his ex called he was done, (he is divorced 8 years and it is rare he gets a call now but if he does =instant doom). Another top player gets a call from his wife and turns into an instant loser. Another it is the girlfriend. Lots of examples with the same effect.

I am wondering if when they are beating up on me, if I casually asked a simple question like "How is it going with ex now?" if it would trigger the effect. Or maybe I get the women's number and work out a deal for her to text something simple like "We really need to talk".

It has made me realize, more so than ever, the mental part of the game. If one major thing can trigger a complete meltdown, how many different things going on in the mind alter play. I am sure it is almost unlimited. I started working on not sharking myself about a month ago and I am seeing a lot of positive results.

unoperro

Verified Member
Interesting post, makes me wonder what is your achilles?

I have a hardtime with guys playing "poor shot choices" and getting rewarded for it.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
... I am wondering if when they are beating up on me, if I casually asked a simple question like "How is it going with ex now?" if it would trigger the effect. ...

There's only one way to find out ;) A truly devious individual might have a third party "pop the question" :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Or maybe I get the women's number and work out a deal for her to text something simple like "We really need to talk".

LOL. That would be worse than sticking your hand in his pocket. :D

I started working on not sharking myself about a month ago and I am seeing a lot of positive results.

Thank goodness. I was hoping you'd start playing better. :frus :D

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
This

This

My guess would be you made a great shot to make a ball from a position that he thought he had you trapped or maybe his wife called. Many times when this happens it because you regained your focus on the game. I know when I am not having a good day, its because I am thinking about other things instead of the game.---Smitty

The wife, had to be the wife or girlfriend. Does it to me every time. This is not a secret inside of the circle I play in.

beatle

Verified Member
there is always something to upset someone. some putting the blue side of the chalk on the rail drives them nuts. spitting on the cueball then wiping it off on your pants works too.
a devious mind can find good ways to win when good shooting doesnt quite make it happen.