The patch?

KY8andout

Verified Member
Can someone explain exactly what the patch is that was mentioned in the Bug's interview?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
KY8andout said:
Can someone explain exactly what the patch is that was mentioned in the Bug's interview?
I couldn't say for sure, but "the patch" may be similar to a routine attributed to either Irving Crane or Wimpy. He put object balls in a circle in the middle area of the table, then he placed the CB in the center. The object was to run all the balls without the CB touching any of the others, or a rail. This evidently increases CB control, which allows better running skills in 1P and 14.1. For those of you wanting to find the reference in Bugs' interview, it's near the end, just to the left of Glenn Rogers' picture.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
KY8andout said:
My understanding is that most Banks players in tough competition would play a "bank and duck" or as Piggy Banks calls it, a "bank and swing" style of play, so as not to give up a shot in the event of a miss. What Glen learned from Bugs was, when he had the chance, to get into the middle of a group of available banks and run them off -- a more aggressive style. Of course Bugs credits Eddie Taylor!

Donnie Anderson (on our Banks HOF ballot now) also apparently played that more aggressive style very successfully.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The patch

The patch

In Bank pool, the patch is an area where there are many balls, usually near the cushions; with many bank routes to open pockets, with opportunities to bank close, easy shots. Top bankers look to find the bank to shoot at that will put them in the patch. That's called shot selection. The easiest bank available may not be the one that would put you in the patch, so a top banker might select a shot with more dificulty, but with more probability of banking a cluster if he makes it. Shooting at a long straight back and stopping the cue ball in the middle of the patch is a good example.

the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One of our OnePocket.org readers talked to Glen Rogers last night. Here's what he said:
The patch is controlling the rock in between bank shots...kinda like having a star pattern in straight pool...manuevering the rock in a set area for shape...i talked with "pig" bout this last night.

I would add that it sounds like once you get 'in the patch', you use more of a 'close in' style of position play -- like Straight Pool -- than what you usually see with Bank Pool.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
fred bentivegna said:
In Bank pool, the patch is an area where there are many balls, usually near the cushions; with many bank routes to open pockets, with opportunities to bank close, easy shots. Top bankers look to find the bank to shoot at that will put them in the patch. That's called shot selection. The easiest bank available may not be the one that would put you in the patch, so a top banker might select a shot with more dificulty, but with more probability of banking a cluster if he makes it. Shooting at a long straight back and stopping the cue ball in the middle of the patch is a good example.

the Beard

I learned about the patch from Freddy. It's an area where you have many routine or even money banks. Freddy never failed to let me know he was in the patch. I read the Bugs interview and enjoyed it very much but I think it took Glenn (Piggy) a little more than that tip from Bugs to bring his game where it is today although I'm sure it was very helpful>
Phil

masse-man

piggy banks' article on the patch

piggy banks' article on the patch

piggy backs was interviewed for billiards digest and discussed the patch and i think there were diagrams. maybe a year or two ago? any of you guys know which issue it was in? i like this website, good discussions and interviews. i had also heard that the patch came from Eddie Taylor. i think the patch comes in mainly in the center of the table type clusters because the pocket cut for the side pockets makes shallow banks so easy, whereas the corner pockets have a larger effective opening from an angle of 45 degrees; therefore close-in, controlled, 14.1-style cluster banking is not rewarded on the table ends. i say this without being a banking authority, just using logic is all.

arsenius

I'd be really interested top see scans of those diagrams, if anyone has them, or can convert them to the WEI table. I just read the Bugs article last night, so my interest is piqued.