Southeast Players from the early 90s

Morgan

Here's a list of "where are they now".....I've been out of pool since the mid 90s just curious what ever happened to these characters...

1. Rooster --- I believe the real name is David Slaughter from Virginia
2. Tire Man --- from Greensboro played really good one pocket
3. Spivey ---- from High Point was part owner of Baker's in Greensboro
4. Is Baker's still in business? I spent alot of time there when I was in college at UNC....lot's of action...
5. Don Wrenn....Don's Billiards in Greensboro in the downtown area....had a really nice collection of Balabushkas

Morgan

One more...

One more...

Keasy Clark....maybe misspelled...probably not alive as he was in his eighties then...apparently one of the best straight pool players in the country at one time....he signed autographs at Baker's for road players occasionally...

Morgan

more names I haven't heard in a long time

more names I haven't heard in a long time

Harold Dahler...called fat Harold from Sanford NC....

Ed Garris...owned Coliseum Billiards in Greensboro...is that place still there? Used to be pretty rough, lots of action, but you needed a pistol!!!

LD Godwin...called the Rifleman...from Fayetteville NC... I heard was killed in an auto accident...was quiet a road player at one time...

Bob Wolfe...used to own Baker's in Greensboro...

JAM

Verified Member
Morgan said:
Here's a list of "where are they now".....I've been out of pool since the mid 90s just curious what ever happened to these characters...

1. Rooster --- I believe the real name is David Slaughter from Virginia
2. Tire Man --- from Greensboro played really good one pocket
3. Spivey ---- from High Point was part owner of Baker's in Greensboro
4. Is Baker's still in business? I spent alot of time there when I was in college at UNC....lot's of action...
5. Don Wrenn....Don's Billiards in Greensboro in the downtown area....had a really nice collection of Balabushkas

I remember Rooster. He came to Baltimore one time to play in a ring game, and there were two other players there named Turtle and Geese. I remember thinking how funny it was to have this ring game with a Rooster, a Turtle, and Geese. :D

Turtle was from Maryland, a town that begins with a "W" which will probably come to me after I finish writing this post. He went on to start his own line of cues which today is Philippi Cues.

Baker's in Greensboro ain't there no more, but I remember the original one. They advertised as having the best hot dogs in the State of North Carolina. It was most definitely THE action spot in Greensboro in the '70s and early '80s.

We went to Greensboro about 3 years ago, and we were told there were only three pool rooms in the town. I cannot remember the name of the one that we were at. They had advertised a tournament, and so we came. It turned out that Raleigh was having a tournament the very same weekend, and everybody was in Raleigh.

The folks at the pool room in Greensboro kind of felt bad that we had traveled all that way. So they told us that they would like to have the tournament if we would agree that they could lower the entry fee, so that maybe they could get 20 players. Of course, we agreed. My counterpart won the tournament which paid expenses. The next day, we went to Raleigh to see the tournament in progress. Tony Watson, Earl Strickland, and several other notables were in the house. Tony Watson, of course, was in action.

We were told about another pool room in Greensboro, but they said that it was in a bad neighborhood and that we should be careful, especially at night. It may have been the Colloseum, but I can't remember.

JAM

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM said:
Turtle was from Maryland, a town that begins with a "W" which will probably come to me after I finish writing this post. He went on to start his own line of cues which today is Philippi Cues.

JAM
Evidently Phillippi has been in Pasadena, MD since '73. I don't know the Maryland town in which he was born. Maybe the "W" town you were trying to recall is Wheaton?

Doc

JAM

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Evidently Phillippi has been in Pasadena, MD since '73. I don't know the Maryland town in which he was born. Maybe the "W" town you were trying to recall is Wheaton?

Westminster is the town. It takes my memory a while to get going sometimes! :p

JAM

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
The Turtle and Rooster

The Turtle and Rooster

Doc-

There seems to be some confusion in the animal kingdom. The Turtle is from Westminster MD.(Left-handed bar box 9ball player)His first name is Denny.However;I can't recall his last name.He is not affiliated with Philippi Cues.

Rooster is Richard Philippi Sr. of Pasadena MD He is obviously affiliated.

I used to play Turtle 12-13 yrs ago. If he thought he had an inkling of a chance in a game he would bet all he brought with him.(and on cccasion even more) He was known to play some wild shots which he made more times than seemed statistically possible. The craziest shot I have seen in 40+ years of pool was in a straight pool game with Turtle. I can't remember the amount of the bet but I do remember it was healthy. He left himself a break shot with the cue ball on the long rail first diamond from the corner pocket.His break ball was 1" off the opposite long rail between 2nd and 3rd diamonds.(full rack between cue and break ball) He jumped the cue ball over the rack and cut the object ball up the rail into the top corner pocket. Cue came back into the side of the rack. He ran most of that rack but I ended up beating him. And yes, he called the shot and did it with a full cue (no jump cue). I haven't seen him for at least 10 yrs but a good guy to gamble with.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Tennessee Joe6 said:
I don't remember the Tire Man's name , but he moved to Nashville several years ago. I don't think he plays anymore, at least that's what he said.

Could be wrong but Donnie Morrison comes to mind or something similar?