Attacking defense

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
During the final of the one-pocket tournament here in Norway, I played against a seasoned player who loves one-pocket. I had never played him before, but knew he plays the game, and I knew that he knows many of the moves.

When I was up 2-1 and we both needed 4 balls in the next rack, he wanted to make it an uptable game. On all his oppurtunities he sent a ball/balls uptable, and the cueball to the shortrail downtable.

On most of my shots I tried to either bank a ball in the direction of my pocket, or pocket a ball in the 4 neutral pockets to get the ball spotted, and I always placed the cueball either frozen (or as close as possible) to the longrail or the shortrail uptable.

It's hard to explain a game, and not single shots, but I felt that my strategy was good. I was always making him do defensive shots moving balls away from my pocket, and when it was my time shooting I could just move balls back there, and maybe get a lucky roll and make the ball.

I ended up winning that game, because in the end he left me just too many chances to bank (1, 2 or 3-rails) balls.

He said afterwards that in the last game he felt that his strategy of trying to make it an uptable match was correct, and he said I attacked too much. As I said in the beginning, this is a guy I know plays the game a lot, and he knows moves and strategies, so I thought it over, but I still felt that my strategy was better than his. (When I say he is good, he is not good compared to American standard. He is a 100-ball runner in 14-1, but in this game we are both still beginners. We only play against beginners, so no one to learn from)

I also noticed in the last game that he chose to play uptable even if he had a low percentage bank to his pocket.

I would most likely have gone for the low percentage bank, because that would force my opponent to move that ball away if I missed, instead of keep attacking.

So, my purpose of this thread is that I would like some ideas/comments about different strategies. I like to be an attackive player, because I look at it as a great way of defending. Might call it "Attacking defense". If I can force my opponent not to do an attacking shot, plus move a ball to my corner, I will not lose.

After reading your inputs on the Efren-Corey thread, I realize that I am probably too attacking compared to the book. If any of you have any good examples of layouts where you can choose to play either defense or attack, I would like to see and discuss them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Roy, when you say "low percentage bank", I might shoot those too in a neutral score situation, as long as I thought they were "free". I would consider it " too attacking" if those shots risked leaving your opponent something good, however.

How is your "speed" control on those banks, Roy? As I read your description, the kind of shots that I am imagining you are shooting, besides the obvious need for cue ball control, your speed control of the object ball is also critical to avoid leaving some kind of return bank.

There is also the old adage, "to miss on the professional side" -- meaning to put some thought before you shoot into whether too long or too short in your bank would leave the table in a more favorable position for you in the event of a miss.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
How about this layout? What would you do?

I was faced with this gambling with Efren in Manila this summer, and we both needed 2 balls. I decided to bank the 1-ball, with follow so I also made Efren's ball. (the cueball and 1-ball was in such a position that there were no chance of double-kiss. Not exactly like this layout)

I ended up losing the fight on the last ball, but did I shoot the correct shot? If I hadn't made the 1-ball, I feel comfortable about making his ball, but I know I could have left him not only 1 bank, but 2 bankshots from that position. But after playing Efren a couple of games I have realised that if I have a chance to make a ball, I grab it, because it can be forever till next time...

What do you think is the correct shot in this layout?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYrY3CaMi2EXDG2PEJt4QdGv@[/CUETABLE]

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Roy, when you say "low percentage bank", I might shoot those too in a neutral score situation, as long as I thought they were "free". I would consider it " too attacking" if those shots risked leaving your opponent something good, however.

How is your "speed" control on those banks, Roy? As I read your description, the kind of shots that I am imagining you are shooting, besides the obvious need for cue ball control, your speed control of the object ball is also critical to avoid leaving some kind of return bank.

There is also the old adage, "to miss on the professional side" -- meaning to put some thought before you shoot into whether too long or too short in your bank would leave the table in a more favorable position for you in the event of a miss.

Hi Steve. Regarding speed I always focus on leaving the objectball as close to my pocket as possible if I miss, but sometimes I might have more focus on freezing the cueball to a ball or rail. It depends on the layout, of course.

I have to admit that I am not too good on missing on the pro side, and will have to work on that. I definitely see the advantage of that, but since I am not from Kentucky I am struggling enough with forcing the ball to head for my pocket :D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I can't pass these things up. I have to respond, and if I'm wrong, someone will point it out.

You're in dire straits. Efren Reyes needs two balls and one of them is in the jaws of his pocket. I think all responders will agree that, whatever else happens, you have to knock down the ball in the jaws. If you can make the 1 ball with the same shot, that's lovely. Then there's one ball on the table and it's still your shot.

But if you miss the 1 ball, your chances aren't good. I would leave it alone for right now, and hope for power failure or a rain-out. Or maybe Efren will make a mistake that helps you, but it ain't likely. Not likely at all.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Roy Steffensen said:
If I hadn't made the 1-ball, I feel comfortable about making his ball

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYrY3CaMi2EXDG2PEJt4QdGv@[/CUETABLE]

Roy......If, while playing EFREN, you were so confident/comfortable of making the ball in the pocket while also playing the bank...maybe you play good enough to not need these big spots you're always asking for.....:rolleyes:..:cool:

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Roy......If, while playing EFREN, you were so confident/comfortable of making the ball in the pocket while also playing the bank...maybe you play good enough to not need these big spots you're always asking for.....:rolleyes:..:cool:

You see, normally when I try to bank balls I always tend to scratch with the cueball, so I figured out I would just try to play it like normal, and I was correct. The cueball went straight to the pocket, but luckily Efren's ball was there :)

To be serious, I guess it was the jetlag that made me do shots I can not do normally... (And when going to USA/DCC it is another time-zone, the wrong way compared to Philippines, so I guess I will need even more handicap) :eek:

But what would you do faced with that layout?

EDIT: you said "while playing EFREN". In fact, I have never been as calm and focused as when I have played Efren. I remember especially first time we played, in Quezon City, I was not nervous at all, just had fun and enjoyed the experience. But I have tasted the "Efren-factor", last time we played, in Cebu, I missed a straight in shot on my last ball, with all the other balls in the open for him... I tried to be funny just before the shot, and repeated what he had said while laughing in the last game "How many do I need? I only need 1, right? Only 1?". Well... I managed to get the audience to laugh too :eek:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Nice shot.

Nice shot.

I am FAR under-qualified for advice against Efren! But I would have to say, anytime you can get a ball playing him, you should take it....

I dont think for a split second giving him the hanger and playing out the others at a disadvantaged score would work too good in the long run....

All my thinking suggests you made the best shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Roy Steffensen said:
in Cebu, I missed a straight in shot on my last ball, with all the other balls in the open for him... I tried to be funny just before the shot, and repeated what he had said while laughing in the last game "How many do I need? I only need 1, right? Only 1?". Well... I managed to get the audience to laugh too :eek:

We have a saying in the pool halls around here when unadvised talking occurs before one actually wins or makes the shot.....We say, " Too much talkie talkie ".....That's what you fell prey to.

- Ghost