Ok Folks!!!!!

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
If I could think of something to say about Ronnie Allen I could be holding down the top eight spots here. Come'on guys, post.

Actually, I'm bored. My eldest son, the one that runs our Loxley store, is going to some in-laws for the holiday so I am having to work Loxley today and tomorrow. Now, comparing the Loxley store to the Foley store is kinda like saying Dollar General and Wal-Mart are both department stores. Not nearly as much goes on here as the Foley store so I spent the day on the computer.
Almost closing time so I'll get some relief (shoot amongst us, one of us needs relief).

Y'all has yo self a good evenin', Pel :)

JAM

Verified Member
Pelican said:
If I could think of something to say about Ronnie Allen I could be holding down the top eight spots here. Come'on guys, post.
Y'all has yo self a good evenin', Pel :)

Hope you have a pleasant evening, too, Pel.

What are you all doing for the 4th? Here in D.C., they throw a big bash down on the Mall, but the crowds and just getting there can be burdensome. We may just cook out on the deck and invite some friends over and play cards, something nice and relaxing.

A couple of players in my area are now climbing up on the pool table on all fours when they have a hard-to-reach shot. I hadn't seen that in years and always found it comical to watch. Most of the action players in my area like to play one-pocket as opposed to 9-ball.

No matter what caliber of player, matching up in one-pocket never seems to be a problem. There are so many possibilities.

JAM

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
JAM said:
Hope you have a pleasant evening, too, Pel.

What are you all doing for the 4th? Here in D.C., they throw a big bash down on the Mall, but the crowds and just getting there can be burdensome. We may just cook out on the deck and invite some friends over and play cards, something nice and relaxing.

JAM

Howdy Ms JAM (initials, right?),

My wife has to work till about 5:30. When she gets home if the weather is Ok we might get a few friends and load up on the boat to ease out into Mobile Bay and watch the Fairhope City fireworks from out in the bay. A couple of years ago we did that and it was cool because the City of Mobile started theirs about the time Firehope's ended so we just turned around and looked across the bay to watch theirs'.

You have a wonderful 4th but mostly have a SAFE one. Ain't enough one pocket players ta go 'round. Dang sure don't want to lose any :D

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
I drove all the way across town to play in an inexpensive Omaha-8 Hi-Lo game that friend told me was in progress. When I walked in and sat down, the dealer was telling one of the players (over a mound of chips) that it $825 to him... $825 ? To see your next card ? Turns out they were playing Pot Limit Hold 'em. I ran out of there..... screaming.
I stopped on the way home and called Richie Rich to see if there was something in the $10-$20 Hold 'em range going on somewhere. He didn't answer his phone and then I realized that close to his new home, Capone's was hosting the $7,000 Added Seminole's Florida Pro Tour tomorrow and Sunday and that tonight is probably some mini-tournaments or one-pocket action. I guess I'll be spending this weekend sweating some action and eating bar food (onion rings, fries, dogs, burgers, hot wings, etc.) and having a few brewskies.
Or, I may just lay up in the house and read all day...... Yeehaaaaaa ! (decisions, decisions, decisions)

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Gamesmanship

Gamesmanship

Pelican said:
If I could think of something to say about Ronnie Allen I could be holding down the top eight spots here.
Speaking of Ronnie, he is probably in Texas this weekend -- then I would guess south Louisiana on his way to your area, Pelican. I believe he's hoping to catch up with Ricky Byrd for a little 1hole :)

I believe it will be a quiet weekend for pool in these parts -- we're having fantastic golf weather...if that's your game.

Speaking of golf, any of you ever come across the tongue-in-cheek book on what in pool we call sharking techniques, but this little book is English and written in the 40's or so (my copy doesn't have a date that I can find): Gamesmanship, by Stephen Potter

It is pretty funny, with all kinds of what he calls 'gambits' that go way beyond the classic lighting a match in the line of sight sort of stuff.

I've got a copy that still has the tattered original cover:

I bring this up all in good fun -- not condoning actual serious sharking -- just weekend warrior fun :) :) :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
More Gamesmanship

More Gamesmanship

With this funny little diagram on the back:

The accompanying text explains how you're supposed to use the diagram as part of a ploy to mess up your opponent's game (if you're getting beaten) :) First you butter them up and admire how well they're hitting them; then you plant the suggestion of just what particular muscle or posture effect is the key to their success; then you confirm your observation on the next shot -- but plant the seed that it wasn't hit quite as well as the previous, though --> then they're off and thinking about their muscles or posture, All done in totally friendly and gentlmanly manner...

The whole book is full of pretty funny 'gamesmanship' antics like that, but all to be carried off in jovial English gentleman manner. I'll try to attach a few more pics -- sorry, I didn't scan these, just crudely shot with a digi cam while holding the book open :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
More pics from Gamesmanship

More pics from Gamesmanship

Here's a snippit of text that went along with the anatomical diagram -- sorry for the crude image quality...

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here's a few more -- sorry for the crude image quality...

When to be lucky...

And how to look overly contrite after having 'accidentally' moved while in your opponent's line of sight :)

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Good Stuff

Good Stuff

Mornin' Steve: that is some funny stuff. :D Bet that book is a collectible now. :eek:

You and yours have a very safe weekend, Pel :)

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Smorgass Bored said:
I drove all the way across town to play in an inexpensive Omaha-8 Hi-Lo game that friend told me was in progress. When I walked in and sat down, the dealer was telling one of the players (over a mound of chips) that it $825 to him... $825 ? To see your next card ? Turns out they were playing Pot Limit Hold 'em. I ran out of there..... screaming.
I stopped on the way home and called Richie Rich to see if there was something in the $10-$20 Hold 'em range going on somewhere. He didn't answer his phone and then I realized that close to his new home, Capone's was hosting the $7,000 Added Seminole's Florida Pro Tour tomorrow and Sunday and that tonight is probably some mini-tournaments or one-pocket action. I guess I'll be spending this weekend sweating some action and eating bar food (onion rings, fries, dogs, burgers, hot wings, etc.) and having a few brewskies.
Or, I may just lay up in the house and read all day...... Yeehaaaaaa ! (decisions, decisions, decisions)

Yas Suh, them pot limit car run up fast. I been in four card red dog games with a dollar ante that can have a 1 large pot in bout 20 minutes. Gets real scary. Ya get caught in the trap tho when most of the money is yours and ya feel like you got to go for it. Thats when you lose ya behind :eek: Y'all have a real safe holiday, Pel :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM wrote:

A couple of players in my area are now climbing up on the pool table on all fours when they have a hard-to-reach shot. I hadn't seen that in years and always found it comical to watch. Most of the action players in my area like to play one-pocket as opposed to 9-ball.

Doc replied:

I know what you mean. I've seen that in New Orleans and Mississippi. It probably isn't done in Alabama-- they're more sophisticated over there <g>. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it; and no one thought anything about it! I hadn't seen that since high school, over 40 years ago. I've seen guys over 6' tall climb up on the table on all fours to hit a shot down at the foot end of the table!

When I'm playing a guy, I stipulate that they can't climb up on the table. One foot must touch the floor. What's the point of playing certain safeties otherwise? I've never heard anyone complain.

I recall that famous picture of Boston Shorty in Johnston city, with him laying on his side-- full on the table, his legs scissored open and a butt hanging out of his mouth shooting a shot. What a classic! I guess nobody complained...

Doc

Last edited:

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
gulfportdoc said:
JAM wrote:

It probably isn't done in Alabama-- they're more sophisticated over there Doc

Wait a minute there now Doc. I ain't puttin with being called names like sistocated or what ever that is. We is jest 'good ole boys' ;)

You have a wonderful and safe 4th, Pel :)

JAM

Verified Member
Happy 4th of July to OnePocket.Org!

Happy 4th of July to OnePocket.Org!

Smorgass Bored said:
I guess I'll be spending this weekend sweating some action and eating bar food (onion rings, fries, dogs, burgers, hot wings, etc.) and having a few brewskies. Or, I may just lay up in the house and read all day...... Yeehaaaaaa ! (decisions, decisions, decisions)

If you can't make the fireworks, Smorgie, check out this link. Click on the sky as many times as you can and enjoy the show! Wishing you and yours the very BEST!

Happy 4th of July to OnePocket.Org

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
Picture? Did somebody say "picture"?

Picture? Did somebody say "picture"?

gulfportdoc said:
I recall that famous picture of Boston Shorty in Johnston City, with him laying on his side-- full on the table, his legs scissored open and a butt hanging out of his mouth shooting a shot. What a classic! I guess nobody complained.

I haven't seen it, but I'd sure like to. Is there any way to scan it and include it in this thread, or maybe provide a link to a website that has the picture? That sounds like one I'd like to see.

I saw a brief videotape of Larry Lisciotti and Boston Shorty up at the Joss Tour Finale in Portland, Maine, last month. I have never seen him play. Keith said he used to see him playing at the Elks Lodge in Los Angeles, mostly straight pool, with the likes of Joe Balsis, Luther Lassiter, Irving Crane, Petey Margo (sp), and all the other straight pool greats. He sounds like quite a character.

Seems like straight pool is what launched the billiards industry in early America. What decade do you think it was when the game of one-pocket became popular? I always saw one-pocket played more down South, than up North some years back, but I never ventured past Pennsylvania on the road either.

There's a lot of one-pocket action around here, more one-hole than 9-ball.

JAM

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM said:
I haven't seen it, but I'd sure like to. Is there any way to scan it and include it in this thread, or maybe provide a link to a website that has the picture? That sounds like one I'd like to see.

I saw a brief videotape of Larry Lisciotti and Boston Shorty up at the Joss Tour Finale in Portland, Maine, last month. I have never seen him play. Keith said he used to see him playing at the Elks Lodge in Los Angeles, mostly straight pool, with the likes of Joe Balsis, Luther Lassiter, Irving Crane, Petey Margo (sp), and all the other straight pool greats. He sounds like quite a character.

Seems like straight pool is what launched the billiards industry in early America. What decade do you think it was when the game of one-pocket became popular? I always saw one-pocket played more down South, than up North some years back, but I never ventured past Pennsylvania on the road either.

There's a lot of one-pocket action around here, more one-hole than 9-ball.

JAM

Hi JAM,

I've seen the Boston Shorty picture in several different venues. I'm pretty sure it's shown in Buddy's book, "From Rags To Rifleman..." I wish I had a glossy copy of it! Too bad someone like Mike Shamos couldn't put up a website compendium of classic pool photos. Maybe he has...

The first time I saw one-pocket was in Cincinnati in 1962. I was a reasonably straight shootin' kid from Pittsburgh, and some guy talked me into play for a small bet. I'd always played rotation, straight pool, and of course, 8 ball. Hardly any 9 ball. The way he described it sounded pretty easy. Of course he never gave me a shot at my hole! I have no idea when the game got popular, but it may have been around for a long time. Jewett probably knows. He knows damn near everything...<g>.

I assume you and the Quakester will attend Grady's event in December. There are also back-to-back events in Mobile & Gulfport next month. Then you could swing over to Nawlins and pick up some of that easy cheese. Be a nice trip for y'all...

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pelican said:
Wait a minute there now Doc. I ain't puttin with being called names like sistocated or what ever that is. We is jest 'good ole boys' ;)

You have a wonderful and safe 4th, Pel :)

Now I KNEW you'd pick up on that little poke, you old pea-pickin' pelican you.

Doc

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
JAM said:
If you can't make the fireworks, Smorgie, check out this link. Click on the sky as many times as you can and enjoy the show! Wishing you and yours the very BEST!
Happy 4th of July to OnePocket.Org
JAM

Very funny, Ms. J.A.M. I'm not on a computer and don't have a mouse. There's nothing to 'click on' with my old WebTv 'Classic', SO, I've been sitting here staring at the Statue of Liberty and the New york skyline for 4 hours and 50 minutes waiting for the fireworks to start... NOTHING, absolutely nothing.... I'll check back on Labor Day.

JAM

Verified Member
Another blackout?

Another blackout?

Smorgass Bored said:
Very funny, Ms. J.A.M. I'm not on a computer and don't have a mouse. There's nothing to 'click on' with my old WebTv 'Classic', SO, I've been sitting here staring at the Statue of Liberty and the New york skyline for 4 hours and 50 minutes waiting for the fireworks to start... NOTHING, absolutely nothing.... I'll check back on Labor Day.

Another one of them there New York blackouts, most likely. ;)

D.C.'s fireworks down on the Mall went off without a hitch even though there were lightning and thunderstorms throughout the day.

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
Sweet New Orleans!

Sweet New Orleans!

gulfportdoc said:
I assume you and the Quakester will attend Grady's event in December. There are also back-to-back events in Mobile & Gulfport next month. Then you could swing over to Nawlins and pick up some of that easy cheese. Be a nice trip for y'all...

You know, Doc, that's probably one of the biggest stumbling blocks for any tournament promoter is that most players don't commit ahead of time for big events. Juggling my work life with Keith's tournament schedule is difficult at times. December in D.C. is kind of a busy time of year for my industry, and you gotta make hay when the sun's a shining. ;)

I know Jose Parica usually does it right, though. He books his hotels, car rentals, and airline tickets ahead of time for three or four tournaments in a row, as well as sends in his entry fee. I always admired that about Jose. :)

Kid Delicious was a little disappointed this year because he was unable to compete in the Valley Forge Pro tournament. :mad: Allen Hopkins cuts it off at 64 players, and it's always on a first-come/first-serve basis, i.e., first 64 entry fees received are in the tournament. This is a good reason for a player to pay their entry fee in advance.

It is also nice for the tournament promoter as well to know how many players to expect. It must be extremely frustrating to wait until the first day of the tournament to know how many pool players are going to attend.

Having said that, the only tournaments I know of that we are going to for sure is the Virginia State Open 9-Ball tournament in Richmond at the end of this month and the U.S. Open, September 6-12. 2004. I am, without a doubt, going to make it to New Orleans someday soon. I really do love the South, the people, the food, and the great spirit!

JAM

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM said:
You know, Doc, that's probably one of the biggest stumbling blocks for any tournament promoter is that most players don't commit ahead of time for big events. Juggling my work life with Keith's tournament schedule is difficult at times. December in D.C. is kind of a busy time of year for my industry, and you gotta make hay when the sun's a shining. ;)

I am, without a doubt, going to make it to New Orleans someday soon. I really do love the South, the people, the food, and the great spirit!

JAM

I sure do know what you mean, JAM. My job has been interfering with my pool for 40 years!! Hope to see you in Dixie soon.

Doc