The perfect break...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just updated the Getting Started/One Pocket Primer page with this break diagram to help new players get a feel for the standard One Pocket break. I'm interested in your comments or corrections of course.
http://onepocket.org/BreakDetail.htm

What tricks do you have for obtaining a perfect break?

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
breaking technique

breaking technique

NH Steve said:
I just updated the Getting Started/One Pocket Primer page with this break diagram to help new players get a feel for the standard One Pocket break. I'm interested in your comments or corrections of course.

hey Steve, been a while...

I had always been told to use inside english to help kill the cue of the foot rail and side rail, but then read some place to use a little top as well (I think it was Koehler's Upscale One-Pocket) to help curve the cue slightly around the rack, and then softly die against the rails.
I'd love to hear what more experienced players feel about this, and how they break as well.

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I use a bit of top AND a bit of inside.
The object being to leave the CB on the side rail 1 1/2 - 2 diamonds from the end rail. If I make a ball on the break it's a bonus... :)

Also, per Willie Jopling, right-handed players should break from the right side (left corner being their intended pocket) while left-handed players do the opposite. I have always made the break from the left side simply because it seemed more natural for me (I'm left-handed). I guess I was doing it correctly if Willie Jopling agrees... :)

Troy
jack said:
hey Steve, been a while...

I had always been told to use inside english to help kill the cue of the foot rail and side rail, but then read some place to use a little top as well (I think it was Koehler's Upscale One-Pocket) to help curve the cue slightly around the rack, and then softly die against the rails.
I'd love to hear what more experienced players feel about this, and how they break as well.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
My two cents

My two cents

NH Steve said:

I agree with other posters on inside english. Your diagram really does not show that. You must just inside English or your cue ball will not stay on side rail where you want to freeze cue ball 1 1/2 diamonds up table. Also if you can consistently do it , I find the more English the more chance of making a ball on break but depending how table is playing sometimes not worrth the risk. But a lot of tables break different. The corner ball will give the opponents a shot very easy if you are not careful.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
suki said:
I agree with other posters on inside english. Your diagram really does not show that. You must just inside English or your cue ball will not stay on side rail where you want to freeze cue ball 1 1/2 diamonds up table. Also if you can consistently do it , I find the more English the more chance of making a ball on break but depending how table is playing sometimes not worrth the risk. But a lot of tables break different. The corner ball will give the opponents a shot very easy if you are not careful.
There is another diagram that shows the whole break -- the detail is just to focus in on where you actually contact the rack. The whole thing is under 'Getting Started' http://onepocket.org/getting_started.htm -- you'll need to scroll down to get to the break paragraph.

The main point of the break detail diagram is that it is safer to err a little on the side of hitting too much of the head ball, than to miss the head ball entirely. Yet, IMO you get the best action on the break the thinner you hit the head ball -- therein lies the dilemma!

Bottom line in my opinion, if you are a strong enough player to consistently hit the head ball really close to simultaneously with the second ball -- without missing the head ball -- and you can do that with the necessary inside english to manage the cue ball, then go for it, because that is the strongest break. You might want to take a little power off the shot, though, to leave the cue ball a tad lower on the side rail -- because you can sometimes get away with a miss-hit if you hit a little soft, while you will almost never get away with a miss-hit if you hit a little hard!

If you don't execute those thin inside english shots quite so consistently, then don't try to hit quite so simultaneously -- to ensure you will hit the head ball first.

The other point of the diagram is to clarify what direction you would be trying to cut the head ball if the rack wasn't in the way -- for a reference point of aim.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I have been having a problem lately that y'all might can help me with. I went a long time with what could have been called classic break. Move a few toward my pocket and leave the CB at about 1 1/2 diamonds on or very near the rail.

Now for reasons unknown my break has taken a nose dive. Of late it seems the corner ball is coming off catching the CB and moving it to the side rail then it rebounds toward the foot rail. This usually give my opponent a bank back to his pocket. I "think" I am doing everything the same - about a tip of english at 10:30. This worked before, what happened?

Here is what I usually wind up with: START(
%AP9Q9%BL8U5%CI7O6%DL7N1%EM6Q3%FK6Q1%GK2O2%HM9O9%IL4O9%JI8L8
%KG3R0%LF5M8%MI5U2%NE2V4%OF8I0%Ph7E1%UH1I7%VN7N3%eA8`8%_O9N1
%`U9K5%ag8E7%bD4F5%cF3C2%dG7I0
)END

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Pelican said:
I have been having a problem lately that y'all might can help me with. I went a long time with what could have been called classic break. Move a few toward my pocket and leave the CB at about 1 1/2 diamonds on or very near the rail.

Now for reasons unknown my break has taken a nose dive. Of late it seems the corner ball is coming off catching the CB and moving it to the side rail then it rebounds toward the foot rail. This usually give my opponent a bank back to his pocket. I "think" I am doing everything the same - about a tip of english at 10:30. This worked before, what happened?

Here is what I usually wind up with: START(
%AP9Q9%BL8U5%CI7O6%DL7N1%EM6Q3%FK6Q1%GK2O2%HM9O9%IL4O9%JI8L8
%KG3R0%LF5M8%MI5U2%NE2V4%OF8I0%Ph7E1%UH1I7%VN7N3%eA8`8%_O9N1
%`U9K5%ag8E7%bD4F5%cF3C2%dG7I0
)END
I'm going to guess you're hitting the head ball a little too full, which gets the 3rd, 4rth and corner ball on your opponent's side moving ahead of the cue ball, and one of them kicks the cue ball -- often right in to your oponent's pocket. Like you describe, though, sometimes the cue ball gets kicked into the side rail, and in that case sometimes you can end up leaving your opponent in a nasty (but of course lucky :) ) trap, frozen up against a ball!

I also notice you show the head ball (the 1-ball presumably) having not moved much -- if that truly is what's happening, then that means you are missing the head ball. On a standard break, the head ball should make it over to the side rail just below the side pocket and probably rebound an inch or two. Missing the head ball is usually a disaster that really opens balls up on your opponent's side.

IMO, on a nice One Pocket break, you strike the head ball and the second ball in quick succesion -- both just a glancing blow -- too much of either is a problem...

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Mayhaps that's it

Mayhaps that's it

Thanks Steve. I wish I could video in SloMo to see what I have started doing wrong. I am not hitting with more than a lag stroke so maybe I could get my son to stand over the balls and see just where I am striking. What you describe in the first paragraph sounds like what is happening.

Later, Pel