Alex vs. Richie 2000 World One-Pocket

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's just the first game in a race to 4 between Alex Pagulayan and Richie Richeson but this is an interesting layout. Several choices of shots. What would you do?
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's just the first game in a race to 4 between Alex Pagulayan and Richie Richeson but this is an interesting layout. Several choices of shots. What would you do?
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Shoot the 11 if it is not on a scratch angle, then bank the 5 and get the cb safe. If the 5 goes, bank away.

Doh! :rolleyes: ;) :) :D

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Being that far behind, I'd try to get lucky. Easy to see I'm not a tourney player.
LOL :p
Rod.
Ps, If the CB stop anywhere along the way I'd still have a shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcQy2fXSM2fWtN3fadvzc2kOqx2kXKV2kcCk1kTIr1kYWJzc4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_%2527A%2527_AND_IT%2527S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ1uApS@[/CUETABLE]

u12armresl

Verified Member
I kick the table and hope all those balls on the end rail fall off and come into play near my hole.

senor

Verified Member
I like shooting the 9 and trying to play shape like Rod showed. Using low-right english, you could also potentially run into the 4 ball which would not be a bad thing.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Being that far behind, I'd try to get lucky. Easy to see I'm not a tourney player.
LOL :p
Rod.
Ps, If the CB stop anywhere along the way I'd still have a shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcQy2fXSM2fWtN3fadvzc2kOqx2kXKV2kcCk1kTIr1kYWJzc4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_%2527A%2527_AND_IT%2527S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ1uApS@[/CUETABLE]
im with rod:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bank the 5 first, and if you make it (and if you're Alex Pagulayan) you might get a bunch. I think this has the greatest potential for position. So he probably did something else, didn't he? :rolleyes:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
vapros said:
Bank the 5 first, and if you make it (and if you're Alex Pagulayan) you might get a bunch. I think this has the greatest potential for position. So he probably did something else, didn't he? :rolleyes:
that's what popped into my mind -- is he a right or lefty?

Okay, I guess a righty :)

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:

I'd shoot the 9 and try to come straight across table and bounce out a little and try to fall on the 10. Not the kind of shot I like, but you're trailing 5-0 and you've got a chance to get back in the game if you can come with it. I think that's easier than trying to make the 11 where you are sorta over the top. The bank doesn't look like it will go.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i like the 11 over the 9 since im concerned about hitting the side pocket tittie and the 9 bouncing out into the middle of the table and it onlty gets worse from there. (the 9 looks frozen to the rail to me)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:

Here's what Alex shot. I thought the 5 would bank easily enough but Howard Vickery said he couldn't get to it. Must've needed a bridge.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcYu2dbHU2daGb2ddhA2fXKM4fDGG1gUub1gUed1hXOn1hXfj2kOqx2kbHm1kWRD1kbqP1kXXb4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IdhA2JCGS4KDGG1LUed1MXfj2NLkR3OVuL1PXXb3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK4IALb2JCGS4KDGG1LUed1MXfj2NLkR3OVuL1PXXb3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Here's what Alex shot. I thought the 5 would bank easily enough but Howard Vickery said he couldn't get to it. Must've needed a bridge.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IbHU2JCGS2KXKM1LUub1MXOn2NLkR3OVuL2POqx3QcYu2dbHU2daGb2ddhA2fXKM4fDGG1gUub1gUed1hXOn1hXfj2kOqx2kbHm1kWRD1kbqP1kXXb4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK2IdhA2JCGS4KDGG1LUed1MXfj2NLkR3OVuL1PXXb3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@4AReK4BMHK4CGsK2DBUO2EPQb4FOsK1GYlO4HJVK4IALb2JCGS4KDGG1LUed1MXfj2NLkR3OVuL1PXXb3QcYu4qGVRALEX_HAS_POCKET_'A'_AND_IT'S_HIS_SHOT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Ever seen the guy ? He probably couldn't reach it with a bridge. :D
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Ever seen the guy ? He probably couldn't reach it with a bridge. :D
Rod.

Yeah, I know he's about 4'12" tall but on the t.v. screen it looked like he could just reach over from the side and shoot it, without a bridge. Guess not.

It's always tough to translate these layouts to a WEI from a t.v., even the announcers in the booth can't usually tell which balls are where or which ones go or not.

shw

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Hi everyone

I'm a new member and only recently started playing one pocket. I mostly play short-rack banks and 8-ball now, though did play a lot of 9-ball in the past. I'm not a champion but play pretty well. Banks is probably my best game. I have been in the money at the Derby a few times. I have a ten foot brunswick Pfister that plays pretty well though the pockets could be tighter.

I'm trying to learn one pocket from this forum, watching videos, practicing on my 10' table and making an occasional trip to Michaels near cincinnati.

I like these "what's the best shot" threads because they show the thought process and point out strengths and weaknesses of the various shots. I think they make it much easier to learn the game.

I have a question about this position/shot. Why wouldn't shooting the 14, close to pocket speed trying to put the CB off the side rail and around the "ALEX", be a good shot? if you miss you don't leave too much if you make it you have a safe bank on the 4 and then maybe the 10 and even the 11. This seems like a good chance at 3 or 4 without much risk. i haven't seen anyone else mention it so i assume there's a reason its not "the shot".

thanks to all.

shw

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
shw said:
Hi everyone

I'm a new member and only recently started playing one pocket. I mostly play short-rack banks and 8-ball now, though did play a lot of 9-ball in the past. I'm not a champion but play pretty well. Banks is probably my best game. I have been in the money at the Derby a few times. I have a ten foot brunswick Pfister that plays pretty well though the pockets could be tighter.

I'm trying to learn one pocket from this forum, watching videos, practicing on my 10' table and making an occasional trip to Michaels near cincinnati.

I like these "what's the best shot" threads because they show the thought process and point out strengths and weaknesses of the various shots. I think they make it much easier to learn the game.

I have a question about this position/shot. Why wouldn't shooting the 14, close to pocket speed trying to put the CB off the side rail and around the "ALEX", be a good shot? if you miss you don't leave too much if you make it you have a safe bank on the 4 and then maybe the 10 and even the 11. This seems like a good chance at 3 or 4 without much risk. i haven't seen anyone else mention it so i assume there's a reason its not "the shot".

thanks to all.

shw

shw,

Welcome to the site, you'll fit in well with your bank knowledge, it's very important in one-pocket.

I would think that shooting the 14 jacked up over the 5 would make the shot much tougher, and he may give up a cross-corner bank if he misses it.

Alex has so much firepower that he's looking to run out when he gets a shot, especially since he's so far down in the ball count. The 9 ball had room to go but he hit it very bad.

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
shw said:
Hi everyone

thanks to all.

shw
There's nothing wrong with that shot, if you feel comfortable with it. It's difficult bridging over the 5 ball. Being a good banker, I'm surprised you wouldn't like the 5 ball straight back. I like that shot with draw, to then pick up the 10, 14, and 11.

Even with all the opinions expressed here, once in awhile you'll see a shot that no one has noticed. So if your shot wasn't mentioned, that in itself doesn't mean it's a poor selection.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
shw said:

thanks to all.

shw

Always try to pick the shot you are most comfortable with. That's usually the "right" shot. The 11 or 9 ball was the shot for me because of the possibility of getting position and safe if you miss. As others said jacked up on the 14 ball would be hard for me. Banking the 5 ball could cost the game if you hit the 11 ball. My thoughts only. :) Welcome to the site. ;)
Rod.