Answer this break

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I agree -- and I don't know if you have tried doing commentary with some of the new ball colors, but I can tell you for me it was a bit of a struggle to know what to even call some of the colors, lol.

I got converted to the change of 4 and 12 to pink from purple because they're so much easier to distinguish on video or at a distance. Actually makes sense, IMO, but the Cyclops colors SUCK!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If that is long-running newish cloth, the 4-rail kick looks like it would need special juice (straight bottom??) to come up high enough to clear the 13-14, and also, if you don't get right behind them, don't you leave some kind of bank on the 5 or 9?

Table dimensions are distorted in the pic, but I was thinking the 4-rail would probably take a tip low. If I leave a bank on the 9, it's pretty tough unless the angle is perfect; the way they lay now, the 9 blocks the bank path for the 5. It's not ideal, but I don't see anything I like better.

If I could see the right side of the 5-ball I would rather use that to get behind the 13-14 than the 7-ball, because I like the direction the 7-ball is aiming where it sits -- as well as the direction the 10-2 are facing, and going off the 7 could disturb both of those :D

I thought it was 100% that the angle to the 5 wasn't available, but with others thinking it is I may be wrong (but I can't quite say "probably.")

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You have to block the bank on the 9 or you are really in trouble.:))

Take a look again at the position of the 9 in the first pic. I don't think many people are better than 50% on that shot, and I wouldn't shoot it at all unless I had an angle from above to cross it and control whitey... you'll never leave an angle from above with the 4-rail.

Steve's right that the kick angle for four rails may be too long here, but it can be shortened with a little or lot of draw and it's a shot I play around with a lot at home. It's a shot I definitely judge and hit better than I do the one off the turquoise ball here. So for me....

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I saw that in the photos Steve posted... I was guessing it was a set of lower grade balls. Sounds like you're saying same quality, right? If so, I'm gettin' a set.

Yes, they are the same quality. Was what was used at the DCC earlier this year. I have a set of the skittles version that I got before I knew they had a traditional colored set.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
What do you mean they throw better? Do they throw more or less?

Well, that's, like, you're opinion, man.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Probably more, but it doesn't really matter how much. We adjust for clean/dirty, humidity, precise angle and juice needed etc. anyway.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
We've been using both sets of Cyclop balls for a while now and they play very well. Highly recommend them. They are harder and have less friction so they slide more, especially after being cleaned. Whitey takes a while to get used to as well.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
We've been using both sets of Cyclop balls for a while now and they play very well. Highly recommend them. They are harder and have less friction so they slide more, especially after being cleaned. Whitey takes a while to get used to as well.

I like the fact that whitey weighs the same as the rest of the balls. Have heard from many who don't like how the measle ball plays, but it has become very standard. Once I got used to Cyclops after a few months of playing with them exclusively, it was an adjustment to get used to the measle ball again.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I like the fact that whitey weighs the same as the rest of the balls. Have heard from many who don't like how the measle ball plays, but it has become very standard. Once I got used to Cyclops after a few months of playing with them exclusively, it was an adjustment to get used to the measle ball again.

I still prefer the measle ball for rotation, because it has more friction (rougher surface) I can control it better with the longer stroke. But in 1P I much prefer the Cyclop or red dot ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Its strictly a color thing for me. Doesn't really as much i guess in 1p but if rotation or 9 ball, I may shoot the wrong ball on occasions.

Hopefully moving forward if we continue using cyclops balls in a lot of the bigger tourneys, they will get the traditional colored ones Dave mentions.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
I can't recall if my opponent could see the 5, but I don't think he could. The cue ball was hooked pretty good. He ended up hitting the 7 (turquoise ball) pretty firm, and then the 14, parking next to the 13. I think he probably got about as lucky as I did on the break. :D

For anyone wanting a little more backstory on the Cyclop balls, here's a video for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxBqVyQnSw

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I can't recall if my opponent could see the 5, but I don't think he could. The cue ball was hooked pretty good. He ended up hitting the 7 (turquoise ball) pretty firm, and then the 14, parking next to the 13. I think he probably got about as lucky as I did on the break. :D

For anyone wanting a little more backstory on the Cyclop balls, here's a video for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxBqVyQnSw

He did end giving an "above" angle (which I didn't think the 4-railer would be likely to do) for a cross on the 9 that I could shoot with quite a bit of confidence, and might even be able to get whitey above the 7 on op's long rail.

beatle

Verified Member
i dont see the 4 rail shot for some reason. if its off the opposite long rail you cant get back to it.

and if its on the rail next to the cueball, how on earth are you going to hit the right spot from being frozen and go around long and get behind those two balls.

to do this shot you had better be playing on this table for years and know it well.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
to do this shot you had better be playing on this table for years and know it well.

Point taken.

On my table (if I'm right that there's a path to between the second and third diamond on the first rail) medium draw would do it and the target is large (but I'm not near home now to verify.)

baby huey

Verified Member
First off take at least one intentional scratch to see if he'll follow. If he does then you got to show him your perfect one rail kick shot to just before his hole when he can't take the cut on his stripped ball. The key here is to get him to take scratches with you. Obviously you in a tough situation but making him go to more balls is a must.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
First off take at least one intentional scratch to see if he'll follow. If he does then you got to show him your perfect one rail kick shot to just before his hole when he can't take the cut on his stripped ball. The key here is to get him to take scratches with you. Obviously you in a tough situation but making him go to more balls is a must.

Taking the intentionals I agree, the shooter is at a disadvantage so lengthen the game if possible. I have a shot that I feel is very strong from this position and it's a three rail kick using the top rail side rail foot rail and then end up between the 13 and 14ball. This shot is not nearly as difficult as it may appear and hit with the correct speed very little can go wrong. I shot this shot a number of times on my table with great results, try it.

From the position referenced your target off the top rail should be 1/2 diamond to the right of the center diamond.

Dr. Bill

Last edited: