Portland Don Watson & Creole Freddie

glee

Verified Member
Hi Captain, I'm totally amazed no one has responded to this thread! Surely someone on this forum has some recall of these players. Well shame on them if they are too lazy to respond. Portland Don gets some pretty good press in Gradys book, but I don't remember the Beard mentioning him in The Gospel.
Well heres what I know know about him. In Cochorans, late 50's or early 60's, not quite sure. A friend of mine pointed him out to me. He was sitting on a bench with a few other older fellows, all of them well dressed and reading, racing forms,magazines, and gossiping. My friend said Don was one of the best 9 ball players in the world. I'm from the east side of the bay and only get to get to Cochorans infrequently but its always the same scene, Don on the bench with his friends and the racing forms and magazines. This is about 2 or 3 or 4 years of the same scene. I don't rember seeing him pick up a cue ever. Its kind of lonley being very good.
Now for Don in action. About 35 years ago a friend of mine told me his version of the Portland Don and Bucktooth matchup. Richard was with his father Charlie at Cochorans and Richard asked Don to play 9 ball, according to my friend the price was $100 a game. Don stepped up and ran 11 racks in a row, Charlie who was in, stood up and said Richard it's time to go home. Toothy got all huffy and said I HAVEN'T GOT TO SHOOT YET! Charlie simply said thats the reason we are going home!
Well that was along time ago when I heard that tale, so after I read your post I thought I should call the Tooth and get his side of the story, here it is Richards version of the session. The bet was $20 a game and some side bets, Rhchard had left his pool room in Hayward with about $600 in his little red tin money box and a few games had been played going back and forth. Now Richard is shooting an easy shot on the 8 and Charlie says something and distracts him,he missed the pocket by a full diamond. Don runs the two balls and wins. Don breaks and runs out, then he breaks and runs out again, total he runs out 7 racks. Richard tells Don he won't play anymore on that table, he thinks hes got it rigged somehow so Don says lets change tables. New table, and Don brakes and runs 7 more racks. Richard and his dad go back to East Oakland broke. Richard told me it was something to see, Don played every position angle perfect, said it was like watching a suergon. I think that session took place in 1962 or 63.
Well Captain, looks like you got two big windies for the price of one. Hope you get alot of good rolls. Have a nice evening, George

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Portland Don

Portland Don

CaptainHook said:
Anyone know any stories about these guys?

:D
Mid to late 60's, Don was around El Monte, Ca and staying with Popcorn near the 5 Points Bowl. He always had a paperback book in his back pocket and they often had to sober him up when there was action for him. I can't remember anyone beating him, and not very many road players tried. There was a lot of bar table action then and he was unbeatable there too. There was a place called the Three P's not far from the bowl and I watched him beat Bakersfield Bobby and Mexican Mario when Mario returned to CA after being down south for a long time. He was considered to be one of the best bar box players in the country at that time and Don drilled him. His position play was like watching Mosconi at straight pool. Every angle perfect and close to his work. He never had much to say, would just take it off, get a jug and another book and stay away until they put together another game for him. John Henderson

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Portland Don

Portland Don

glee said:
Hi Captain, I'm totally amazed no one has responded to this thread! Surely someone on this forum has some recall of these players. Well shame on them if they are too lazy to respond. Portland Don gets some pretty good press in Gradys book, but I don't remember the Beard mentioning him in The Gospel.
...Richard told me it was something to see, Don played every position angle perfect, said it was like watching a surgeon. I think that session took place in 1962 or 63...

I beg to differ, Glee. This is an excerpt from the GosPool:
Most Perfect Nine-ball Patterns:
"Portland Don"Watson. When Don got to the Nine-ball, his position was so perfect, that dapper-dressed, legendary Wild West gunfighter Bat Masterson, could have shot it in with his cane.

There is no player I ever seen play the game more perfectly than Don Watson. The next two guys whose patterns were just under Don's (IMO), were Irving Crane (had a terrible break shot) and Port Chester Mickey Carpinello (profiled in Banking With The Beard).

the Beard

JAM

Verified Member
If it's "Kreole" Freddie Yates, he was the Technical Director for The Snap magazine, which to this day is my FAVORITE pool periodical, bar none. Too bad the magazine didn't stay afloat for a longer period of time. To me, it represented the essence of American pool, which is my passion. :p

I met Freddie Yates only one time at the 2003 or '4 DCC when I was introduced to him and his lovely wife, and I think it was the 2004 Glass City Open in Toledo that he attended when I had some time to sit down and chat with him. He seemed like a nice chap to me.

I have heard some incredible stories about Freddie Yates, some of which I won't publish on this forum. One thing I will state, though, is that I truly enjoy to this day The Snap magazine and Freddie Yates' articles which included player profiles, "Rail Trails," et cetera, along with the late Corinne Hoffman, the late Bennie Conway a/k/a The Goose, Leonard Bludworth, Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, and, interestingly for me, a young, enthusiastic, and very much involved John Lewis -- the very essence of American pool, IMHO. You don't see too much concentration in The Snap on Filipinos, Europeans, and Asian-Pacific Islander pool players. Oh, how times have changed.

Here's the beginning of an article written by Kreole Freddie in The Snap magazine, June/July 1990: The first time I saw Benny Conway was 18 years ago in a small Mississippi town. He was on a road trip down from Missouri, and I was managing the local pool room. When I noticed him, he was standing just inside the door. He looked like anything other than a pool player, but since he carried a cue case, I sent a few of the local players over to challenge him....

Benny was born 46 years ago in Kansas City, Missouri. He was the son of a man who made his living with a pair of dice, a man who was known all over the State in gambling circles as "Shipwreck" Conway. In the '40s, Kansas City was a hot spot on the Missouri River for pool, cards, and dice action. Benny Conway, Sr., and his brother "Whitey" opened a small pool room which was a front for their card and dice games....

Benny's first match that day was with the one and only Eddie Taylor, a legend in his own time. After a 11-1 thrashing by Mr. Taylor, Benny was the first to admit that Eddie was one of the greatest players of all time. Benny's second match was with Ronnie Allen, another superstar of the era. Bennie won 11-7 over that West Coast star. Afterwards, he overheard Cornbread Red remark, "The Goose cooked Ronnie." The 20-year-old liked the sound of that, and the nickname became a part of the colorful career of Benny Conway....

JAM

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
glee said:
Well heres what I know know about him. In Cochorans, late 50's or early 60's, not quite sure. A friend of mine pointed him out to me. He was sitting on a bench with a few other older fellows, all of them well dressed and reading, racing forms,magazines, and gossiping. My friend said Don was one of the best 9 ball players in the world. I'm from the east side of the bay and only get to get to Cochorans infrequently but its always the same scene, Don on the bench with his friends and the racing forms and magazines. This is about 2 or 3 or 4 years of the same scene. I don't rember seeing him pick up a cue ever. Its kind of lonley being very good.
Now for Don in action. About 35 years ago a friend of mine told me his version of the Portland Don and Bucktooth matchup. Richard was with his father Charlie at Cochorans and Richard asked Don to play 9 ball, according to my friend the price was $100 a game. Don stepped up and ran 11 racks in a row, Charlie who was in, stood up and said Richard it's time to go home. Toothy got all huffy and said I HAVEN'T GOT TO SHOOT YET! Charlie simply said thats the reason we are going home!
Well that was along time ago when I heard that tale, so after I read your post I thought I should call the Tooth and get his side of the story, here it is Richards version of the session. The bet was $20 a game and some side bets, Rhchard had left his pool room in Hayward with about $600 in his little red tin money box and a few games had been played going back and forth. Now Richard is shooting an easy shot on the 8 and Charlie says something and distracts him,he missed the pocket by a full diamond. Don runs the two balls and wins. Don breaks and runs out, then he breaks and runs out again, total he runs out 7 racks. Richard tells Don he won't play anymore on that table, he thinks hes got it rigged somehow so Don says lets change tables. New table, and Don brakes and runs 7 more racks. Richard and his dad go back to East Oakland broke. Richard told me it was something to see, Don played every position angle perfect, said it was like watching a suergon. I think that session took place in 1962 or 63.
Well Captain, looks like you got two big windies for the price of one. Hope you get alot of good rolls. Have a nice evening, George

Thank you, that is a great read. :D

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
jrhendy said:
Mid to late 60's, Don was around El Monte, Ca and staying with Popcorn near the 5 Points Bowl. He always had a paperback book in his back pocket and they often had to sober him up when there was action for him. I can't remember anyone beating him, and not very many road players tried. There was a lot of bar table action then and he was unbeatable there too. There was a place called the Three P's not far from the bowl and I watched him beat Bakersfield Bobby and Mexican Mario when Mario returned to CA after being down south for a long time. He was considered to be one of the best bar box players in the country at that time and Don drilled him. His position play was like watching Mosconi at straight pool. Every angle perfect and close to his work. He never had much to say, would just take it off, get a jug and another book and stay away until they put together another game for him. John Henderson

Thank you for posting, did Don smoke?:)

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
fred bentivegna said:
I beg to differ, Glee. This is an excerpt from the GosPool:
Most Perfect Nine-ball Patterns:
"Portland Don"Watson. When Don got to the Nine-ball, his position was so perfect, that dapper-dressed, legendary Wild West gunfighter Bat Masterson, could have shot it in with his cane.

There is no player I ever seen play the game more perfectly than Don Watson. The next two guys whose patterns were just under Don's (IMO), were Irving Crane (had a terrible break shot) and Port Chester Mickey Carpinello (profiled in Banking With The Beard).

the Beard

Last time I was at the senoir center I looked in the index in the Gospool book you sent and you had a picture of him in the book, a group shot with all the greats.

Thank you.:)

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
JAM said:
If it's "Kreole" Freddie Yates, he was the Technical Director for The Snap magazine, which to this day is my FAVORITE pool periodical, bar none. Too bad the magazine didn't stay afloat for a longer period of time. To me, it represented the essence of American pool, which is my passion. :p

I met Freddie Yates only one time at the 2003 or '4 DCC when I was introduced to him and his lovely wife, and I think it was the 2004 Glass City Open in Toledo that he attended when I had some time to sit down and chat with him. He seemed like a nice chap to me.

I have heard some incredible stories about Freddie Yates, some of which I won't publish on this forum. One thing I will state, though, is that I truly enjoy to this day The Snap magazine and Freddie Yates' articles which included player profiles, "Rail Trails," et cetera, along with the late Corinne Hoffman, the late Bennie Conway a/k/a The Goose, Leonard Bludworth, Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, and, interestingly for me, a young, enthusiastic, and very much involved John Lewis -- the very essence of American pool, IMHO. You don't see too much concentration in The Snap on Filipinos, Europeans, and Asian-Pacific Islander pool players. Oh, how times have changed.

Here's the beginning of an article written by Kreole Freddie in The Snap magazine, June/July 1990: The first time I saw Benny Conway was 18 years ago in a small Mississippi town. He was on a road trip down from Missouri, and I was managing the local pool room. When I noticed him, he was standing just inside the door. He looked like anything other than a pool player, but since he carried a cue case, I sent a few of the local players over to challenge him....

Benny was born 46 years ago in Kansas City, Missouri. He was the son of a man who made his living with a pair of dice, a man who was known all over the State in gambling circles as "Shipwreck" Conway. In the '40s, Kansas City was a hot spot on the Missouri River for pool, cards, and dice action. Benny Conway, Sr., and his brother "Whitey" opened a small pool room which was a front for their card and dice games....

Benny's first match that day was with the one and only Eddie Taylor, a legend in his own time. After a 11-1 thrashing by Mr. Taylor, Benny was the first to admit that Eddie was one of the greatest players of all time. Benny's second match was with Ronnie Allen, another superstar of the era. Bennie won 11-7 over that West Coast star. Afterwards, he overheard Cornbread Red remark, "The Goose cooked Ronnie." The 20-year-old liked the sound of that, and the nickname became a part of the colorful career of Benny Conway....

JAM

Hi Jam,
Freddie showed me a bunch of those magazines when he came by. He had a bunch of photo albums we looked at as well. He really is a great guy.:D

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
loveshiscue said:
Didnt Freddie Yates go to prison for either robbing pool rooms of their cues or fencing stolen cues?

Yeah, it was the later.

He is out now and stopped in the Flamingo to see Dale last month.
Maybe when you come up, Dale can get him to come by so you can meet him.
Man, that cat has story after story.

:)

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
R.I.P. Goose

R.I.P. Goose

JAM woke me up with:
"the late Bennie Conway a/k/a The Goose"

What ! When did "Benny Without A Penny" pass away ? I met him in New Orleans 30 years ago and again when I moved to Tampa. We used to bet the horses together and he always paid me back any money that he 'borrowed'.... this is sad news and a surprise to me.
Btw, I have all the SNAP magazines too. I bought them (and a subscription) from Benny at Bakers back in '89 at one of Corrines tournaments with such players as Buddy, The Goose, Steve Cook, Tom Brown, Dennis Hatch and his uncle, Tommy Kennedy,Ditoro,Ray Martin, etc.

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
Smorgass Bored said:
JAM woke me up with:

What ! When did "Benny Without A Penny" pass away ? I met him in New Orleans 30 years ago and again when I moved to Tampa. We used to bet the horses together and he always paid me back any money that he 'borrowed'.... this is sad news and a surprise to me.
Btw, I have all the SNAP magazines too. I bought them (and a subscription) from Benny at Bakers back in '89 at one of Corrines tournaments with such players as Buddy, The Goose, Steve Cook, Tom Brown, Dennis Hatch and his uncle, Tommy Kennedy,Ditoro,Ray Martin, etc.

I was at the tournament. I played Tommy some cheap sets the night before.
He was giving me the 8, and two on the wire in a race to 7. 6-6 he played me safe on the 7 and I kicked at it 3 rails aimed into one of the bricks, made it in the corner, and he said no more weight.:D

We had several "Marked" rooms around here on the 80's.:D

As far as Corrine, I sure do miss her. I beat Bonnie 2 sets and Louie was not happy about that, Is the dad (Louie)still around?

He had a room in Pasadena we would skip school in gulfport and hitch over there and play all afternoon, that is how I met the Hoffman's. Nice folks.:)

Ray Martin signed my first edition of his book, he play's CM and Howard Vickery 1P out in Semonole at CM's place, have not been in a while.

jay helfert

Verified Member
JAM said:

JAM

When did The Goose pass away? I hadn't heard this before. I know his son is a killer player in Florida.

jay helfert

Verified Member
jrhendy said:

Funny you mention the paperback book. I can see it now sticking out of his back pocket while he was playing.

In my faded and shriveled up mind, Don Watson was one of the all time best 9-Ball players I ever saw. He just had this light little stroke and way of tapping the balls around that was so damn effective. It never looked like he was doing too much, except running out every game.

He made 9-Ball look so simple, like "why didn't I think of that". His game was like Lassiter's without all the grimacing and groaning. Don rarely showed any emotion, just went about his business, picked up the money, and sat back down like nothing had happened. He would bust someone and when the game was over, just sit down with his newspaper and start checking the ponies.

Never been another one quite like him.

JAM

Verified Member
Smorgass Bored said:
JAM woke me up with:

I love, love, love The Snap magazines! :)

You know, I am trying to think where I heard that Benny Conway, Sr., passed away. I am not 100-percent positive as to the when, where, and who told me this, but I think -- and I may be wrong, so subject to check -- that it was Benny Conway, Jr., who told me this at the 2004 U.S. Open. I know that Keith and Benny, Jr., did have a conversation about his dad. This is what I remember.

According to The Snap article, which was in June 1990, Benny, Sr., was 46 years old at that time, which would make him 62 today if he is still alive.

When Keith rises and shines today, I will ask him if Benny, Jr., did, in fact, state to him that his dad had passed. I remember a feeling of sadness when Keith and the kid did speak at the 2004 U.S. Open about his father, but today, my memory ain't quite what she used to be. I think the hard drive in my brain needs to be defragged.

I will post a clarification, one way or the other, as soon as I find out more.

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
The Goose

The Goose

Here's a funny story of how Benny "The Goose" Conway, Sr., got his nickname.

Excerpt from The Snap: With fellow players from Kansas City, he went to the famous tournaments of the decade. Events like The Stardust Open in Las Vegas and The World All-Around Championships in Johnston City, Illinois, became his training ground in the following years.

Benny remembers it was his first trip to Johnston City when he got the nickname he was to make famous. One of his best friends, a player named Al George, told promoter George Jansco to announce Benny as "The Pear," an affectionate nickname the Kansas City players had given him because of his unusual shape, but when George got ready to announce the players, he had forgotten the nickname. He guessed, and to the surprise of all, Benny "The Goose" Conway came out. When later asked about his choice, George said, "Well, he reminds me of a big goose."

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
Smorgass Bored said:
JAM woke me up with:

I just asked Keith if Benny Senior had passed, and he said no. I reminded him of the conversation we had with Benny Junior, and Keith states he has no recollection of the Senior's demise.

So Benny Conway, Sr., is alive and well, and I stand firmly corrected. :eek:

JAM

jay helfert

Verified Member
JAM said:
I just asked Keith if Benny Senior had passed, and he said no. I reminded him of the conversation we had with Benny Junior, and Keith states he has no recollection of the Senior's demise.

So Benny Conway, Sr., is alive and well, and I stand firmly corrected. :eek:

JAM

You almost cooked the Goose! I'm gonna call him and tell him his Goose was cooked. Don't worry, he owes me a buck fifty for a zillion years, so I have rights to rib him.

Your Keith was the most amazing guy about debts I ever saw. He could owe me $360 for five years, and when I saw him he would say right off, "Our number's 360, right Toupee"? What a mind, he somehow kept track of everyone and everything. Ask him what our number is right now. You may be surprised. lol

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know I was confused at one point when Michael 'Geese' Gerace died.You got Geese & Goose & it can get a bit confusing :)