14.1 Psych Question …

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Had a few minutes to watch a game I don’t really understand at Steinway. During a match between Mr. Cohen and Mr. Deuel, Mr. Cohen missed a shot.

Mr. Deuel immediately called a time out. One of the chat-roomers, not a commentator, remarked that ‘calling a time out after an opponent’s miss is more devastating in straight pool than in one-pocket, banks, any rotation game, etc.’

(If true, this is the kind of little insider tidbit I enjoy learning … sort of like one time when a wily veteran mentioned that the order of the color of solid balls, from low to high, is repeated in the stripes.)

So ... is that 14.1 time out potentially more damaging than in other games?

If so, I wonder why?

The only rationale I could dream up was because the possibility of greatly-extended chair-time for the shot-misser would provide ample opportunity for self-loathing, recriminations, questioning the purpose of one’s existence in the universe, etc.

Seeking wisdom is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Another question from that straight pool stream arose from the mention of a triangle pattern for the last three balls at the end of a rack. What is this? (I sort of get what the ‘key’ ball scenario is.)

P. P. S. It appeared that it’s quite a bit easier (and faster!) to rack the balls in 14.1.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't think it is any worse than any other game. And, maybe Corey had to go to the bathroom. When else would you take a time out, in the middle of your inning? I think it was a moot point.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Tyler, I'm guessing you never played a whole lot of straight pool, lol. 14.1 is the very worst game in terms of how long you have to sit and wait for a chance to shoot. Even 9-ball, if your opponent runs a few racks, it tends to move quickly. Against better players in straight pool you can easily sit 20 minutes or more, just hoping they fall out of line or miss -- better to hope for a miss of course, because if they run 50 balls and fall out of line, they are going to just hit you with a safety, and you might end up sitting back down for another 20 minutes if you lose the safety battle!! I suppose straight rail billiards is worse, with runs in the thousands, but I have never seen it played :D

One of the really great things about One Pocket is how often you get to shoot -- even if your opponent never leaves you much :D:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Mr. Deuel immediately called a time out. One of the chat-roomers, not a commentator, remarked that ‘calling a time out after an opponent’s miss is more devastating in straight pool than in one-pocket, banks, any rotation game, etc.’ ...

The only rationale I could dream up was because the possibility of greatly-extended chair-time for the shot-misser would provide ample opportunity for self-loathing, recriminations, questioning the purpose of one’s existence in the universe, etc. ...

P. S. Another question from that straight pool stream arose from the mention of a triangle pattern for the last three balls at the end of a rack. What is this? (I sort of get what the ‘key’ ball scenario is.)

To add to what Steve said, your comment about self-recriminations being amplified while sitting after a miss are valid. A guy may have lots of time to beat up on himself, certainly against a player of Deuel's caliber, who is capable of running out the match if he gets an open shot. It's similar in football to a coach calling a time out before the opponent's field goal kicker is about to attempt a 48 yard field goal. He has more time to stew, and to think about missing.

On the other hand, in pool, sometimes it backfires. The guy who missed now has plenty of time to compose himself, and dig down for renewed determination to play better.

The last 3 balls in a 14.1 rack are the most important because of the set-up for the break shot. If the player has a perfect break shot ball in place, then he must leave an easy shot --preferably in the side pocket-- for perfect position to shoot the awaiting break shot with maximum effect. The ball before that one (the 13th ball) should be selected for ease in getting the best angle for the transition ball. Therefore one could visualize a triangle with the last 3 balls. We never used that term, so it may have snuck into the vernacular in modern times...;)

~Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Tyler, I'm guessing you never played a whole lot of straight pool, lol. 14.1 is the very worst game in terms of how long you have to sit and wait for a chance to shoot. Even 9-ball, if your opponent runs a few racks, it tends to move quickly. Against better players in straight pool you can easily sit 20 minutes or more, just hoping they fall out of line or miss -- better to hope for a miss of course, because if they run 50 balls and fall out of line, they are going to just hit you with a safety, and you might end up sitting back down for another 20 minutes if you lose the safety battle!! I suppose straight rail billiards is worse, with runs in the thousands, but I have never seen it played :D

One of the really great things about One Pocket is how often you get to shoot -- even if your opponent never leaves you much :D:D

I have played plenty of straight pool. I would actually welcome the opportunity for a break to think when and how I got out of line, and what I could do to preclude it next time. It is not what you look at, but what you see is a famous quote. Anyway, I just don't agree. I don't see time outs in any game affecting the players more or less, but perhaps this affects some more than others, I have no idea. If I missed a ball in a game of one pocket, and the guy had 8 hangers in front of his pocket, it would psych me just as much if the guy called a time out in straight pool - no more, no less I mean. I think it largely depends, like most things. If the guy gets antsy, it could affect him greatly. A more calm player like efren style i see it doing zilch in straight pool and zilch in any game.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Sunny,

I think this would affect a younger player more. Somebody that has been around the game for a while just takes it in stride. We all miss, you just need to dust yourself off, get up and do it again.

It basically comes down to personalities also. Some people get really pissed when they miss a ball, others just calmly walk back to their chair and clean the shaft of their cue.

I'm a firm beleiver of never letting your opponent see you sweat. Seems if you always look calm and in control, your opponent has to question if they are in a good game? Of course, you can be calm and cool as a cucumber and get your ass handed to ya also.....LOL Works both ways in this funny game we call pool ;)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I suppose someone could ask Corey D - we'll never know, otherwise. I doubt it was a tactical move, unless it was for his own accommodation.

Oh, and thanks for the drop of ink, Sunny. :)

Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Sunny,

I think this would affect a younger player more. Somebody that has been around the game for a while just takes it in stride. We all miss, you just need to dust yourself off, get up and do it again.

It basically comes down to personalities also. Some people get really pissed when they miss a ball, others just calmly walk back to their chair and clean the shaft of their cue.

I'm a firm beleiver of never letting your opponent see you sweat. Seems if you always look calm and in control, your opponent has to question if they are in a good game? Of course, you can be calm and cool as a cucumber and get your ass handed to ya also.....LOL Works both ways in this funny game we call pool ;)

Yep, I agree with you 100%. Especially the bolded part. It never ceases to amaze me the number of top flight players that will pump up their opponent through their own negative actions.

pvclou

Verified Member
14.1 Psych Question …

Yep, I agree with you 100%. Especially the bolded part. It never ceases to amaze me the number of top flight players that will pump up their opponent through their own negative actions.

Usually my opponents' negative energy makes it harder for me to focus. I also find that bottling up my emotions to hide them from my opponent hampers my focus. I am most focused and relaxed when I don't give a fig newton about my opponents existence.

I would like to know what androd and dr. Bill and Freddy Beard have to say on this topic

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Usually my opponents' negative energy makes it harder for me to focus. I also find that bottling up my emotions to hide them from my opponent hampers my focus. I am most focused and relaxed when I don't give a fig newton about my opponents existence.

I would like to know what androd and dr. Bill and Freddy Beard have to say on this topic

tucson9ball said:
I think this would affect a younger player more. Somebody that has been around the game for a while just takes it in stride. We all miss, you just need to dust yourself off, get up and DON'T do it again.

I like my opponent to get upset and act a fool. When some one starts that bullspit, I look at it as a plus for me.
Once I get my foot on his neck he's usually in a lot of trouble. :)
Rod.
P.S. When I was younger it did bother me. I got mad about a guy hollering at me when I shot.
He said "I've been all over the country and never saw anyone stroke the ball with their ear" :D