Attachments

• Screenshot_20181118-191013_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181118-191013_Samsung Internet.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I played Evan several days ago getting 10/7 and got whooped. Evan is playing as well as I’ve ever seen him play. Should be a great match. I have to fly in the morning otherwise I’d be a Buffalo’s right now to watch.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
I played Evan several days ago getting 10/7 and got whooped. Evan is playing as well as I’ve ever seen him play. Should be a great match. I have to fly in the morning otherwise I’d be a Buffalo’s right now to watch.

Yeah Evan sneaks under radar some.

He might not be that well known but the guy can flat out play one pocket, he's one of the top 10 American players imo .

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Evan dogged this game when he only needed 4 and for some reason tried to play behind the ball on jj side. I didnt understand why he even wanted to go to the other side of table. That was early on.
Good match so far.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Yeah Evan sneaks under radar some.

He might not be that well known but the guy can flat out play one pocket, he's one of the top 10 American players imo .

I’ve been playing Evan for years. He’s well known:lol

Top 10, no. But not too far from that.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Heck yea I think Lunda is one of the top 10 American players, he may be in the top 10 period.

Some of those I have thought were in the top 10 a year ago, I am not so sure now a days.

Alex Pagulayan
Dennis Orcollo
Tony Chohan

That's the top 3 currently imo.

Not sure who starts to fill the next tier down but probably some of these names (not in any order):

Busty
SVB
Danny Smith
Bergman
JJ
Compton
Lunda
Frost
Corey Deuel
Roberts
Hall

What do you guys think?

For a big match, I would love to see either Alex vs Dennis (duh)

or

Tony vs Busty

or

Busty vs SVB

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I had never seen Evan play before, he looks a lot like Danny Smith...at least his style (including set up) and rhythm of play. It was impressive. But JJ had a few chances where he failed to make a ball plus that 1 game where he inexplicably scratched on a fairly easy safety to allow Evan to run the 5 balls he needed including that 3 ball combo carom shot that was very cool to watch.

I think JJ of old wins this match. What was cool is that I have not seen JJ play for a long time (one of my favorite matches was an accustats match of him and Buddy Hall when they were both much younger), but his mannerism are the same. I loved watching him play and think again. I've enjoyed his expert commentary for years, just haven't seen him play. It was a treat (I was rooting for him).

Thanks for the stream.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The first time I met Evan was about 8-10 yrs. ago or so, in the onepocket.org/azbilliards private room, at the old DCC – we played One Pocket a coupla times in there – not gambling, just for practice…he would be at the DCC with his father back then - Evan was only about 17-18 yrs. old and I could tell he was going to be a good player…he would spend many hours, day and night in that room wanting to play anybody and everybody...

Notable is the fact that even back then when Evan was 18 yrs. old, unlike other players his age, it was One Pocket that he was wanting to play, not rotation games...

Evan’s father was a good player also, and taught Evan since he was a kid… Evan’s father and I played each other some cheap $30 a game One Pocket back then at the DCC, and Evan would sweat it.

- Ghost

P.S. I also remember back then how Skylar and Billy Thorpe would be at the old DCC when they were only about 14-15 yrs. old.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Heck yea I think Lunda is one of the top 10 American players, he may be in the top 10 period.

Some of those I have thought were in the top 10 a year ago, I am not so sure now a days.

Alex Pagulayan
Dennis Orcollo
Tony Chohan

Not sure who starts to fill the next tier down but probably some of these names (not in any order):

Busty
SVB
Danny Smith
Bergman
JJ
Compton
Lunda
Frost
Corey Deuel
Roberts
Hall

What do you guys think?

or

Tony vs Busty

or

Busty vs SVB

Throwing out the foreigners, I would put the top ten Americans like this:

1. Chohan
2. Daulton
3. Smith
4. Hall
5. SVB
6. Deuel
7. Roberts
8. Bergman
9. Compton
10. Brown

Thorpe, Lunda, Gray, Owen, Frost are all in the conversation as well, but for various reasons, are not in the top 10, even though for Frost and Owen, if they played, they would be in the top ten. The reason I have Daulton so high is he offered to play any American even but Chohan with two weeks notice and nobody took him up.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I guess that was Lunda's coming out party to those not familiar with his game. He had been begging me to put him in action all week so I finally set up a game so he would stop badgering me.

It started out with a modest 4 ahead set for $3,000 just to give him a chance to make some money. He beat JJ in eight games, so JJ asked him to play another set for $10,000 the next day. I had planned on going home, but we had them stuck, so we agreed to the 6 ahead set. The action at Buffalo's was really good, and probably over $30,000 was bet on the rail with most of the out of towners betting on JJ and most of the Louisiana crew betting on Evan.

Evan has been coming around for the last five years and we have seen him in some epic matches against Danny, but they were never streamed so the gambling public didn't know Evan's speed. The out of towners couldn't believe Evan would even play JJ and were swarming for a bet. After the four ahead set went the way it did, JJ wanted to move to a tighter table. The money kept pouring in on JJ.

We have had debates about tighter tables/looser tables. In the end, the tighter table hurt JJ as he missed some shots that he would usually make and sold out easy outs. Watching the match, it looked like Evan was more comfortable on the snug equipment.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I guess that was Lunda's coming out party to those not familiar with his game. He had been begging me to put him in action all week so I finally set up a game so he would stop badgering me.

It started out with a modest 4 ahead set for $3,000 just to give him a chance to make some money. He beat JJ in eight games, so JJ asked him to play another set for $10,000 the next day. I had planned on going home, but we had them stuck, so we agreed to the 6 ahead set. The action at Buffalo's was really good, and probably over $30,000 was bet on the rail with most of the out of towners betting on JJ and most of the Louisiana crew betting on Evan.

Evan has been coming around for the last five years and we have seen him in some epic matches against Danny, but they were never streamed so the gambling public didn't know Evan's speed. The out of towners couldn't believe Evan would even play JJ and were swarming for a bet. After the four ahead set went the way it did, JJ wanted to move to a tighter table. The money kept pouring in on JJ.

We have had debates about tighter tables/looser tables. In the end, the tighter table hurt JJ as he missed some shots that he would usually make and sold out easy outs. Watching the match, it looked like Evan was more comfortable on the snug equipment.

Evan plays on 4 1/8 pockets on a regular basis. Not sure what JJ plays on but the tables/rooms in Dallas really suck. Evan ain’t afraid of tight pockets

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA

Alex Pagulayan
Dennis Orcollo
Tony Chohan

Busty
SVB
Danny Smith
Bergman
JJ
Compton
Lunda
Frost
Corey Deuel
Roberts
Hall

What do you guys think?

or

Tony vs Busty

or

Busty vs SVB

I don't know why Busty is considered under anybody, seriously. Busty beat the brakes off of Tony playing even not long ago and nobody is in a hurry to play him in anything