Cue stick length

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm curious about the use of a longer than standard length cue stick. I was thinking about having one made with a 34" butt and a 28" shaft. I realize this added length would make the cue heavier overall and the balance point would be pushed farther back, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't like that. Wonder if a 62" length cue could weigh as little as 20ozs? Anybody?

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm curious about the use of a longer than standard length cue stick. I was thinking about having one made with a 34" butt and a 28" shaft. I realize this added length would make the cue heavier overall and the balance point would be pushed farther back, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't like that. Wonder if a 62" length cue could weigh as little as 20ozs? Anybody?

Hi, Jeff, I am 6'2" and have experimented with longer cues for maybe 8 years or so. In my experience, even a cue 2" longer louses up the balance point. I now play with a cue that is 1" longer and even then I still like the balance of other's cues a bit more. As far as the weight, you can have one in any weight to want - just adjust the weight bolt.

Chad Carter makes my cues and I heartily recommend him. Pretty sure Ghost utilizes some of Chad's craftsmanship as well.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dont know much about the balance point and how a longer cue will effect it but I do know that Earl Strickland, Shane VanBoening, and Larry Nevel all play with cues 4" to 6" longer than a regulation size cue and love it.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It changes it. Hurt, I suppose, is a matter of perspective.

Yeah. I'm not sensitive to the matter of cue balance. I hear people talking about it, but I don't even notice. I have 5 cues I play with, none of them adjusted in any way, but I notice no difference in balance. I think I could detect it if I tried, but it hasn't ever interested me enough to check. I don't know what I'm missing (other than shots :eek: ).

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have a longer shaft to make the overall length 60", and when I feel like I am getting a little out of sinc I use a shorter shaft with a 2" extension in the joint.

The extension adds forward balance which, IMO helps me keep my stroke straight as I go through the ball. I have used the Balance Rite and at 4" long and 2oz, it is a little long and adds too much weight for me.

I believe the forward balance helps as much as the additional length.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have a longer shaft to make the overall length 60", and when I feel like I am getting a little out of sinc I use a shorter shaft with a 2" extension in the joint.

The extension adds forward balance which, IMO helps me keep my stroke straight as I go through the ball. I have used the Balance Rite and at 4" long and 2oz, it is a little long and adds too much weight for me.

I believe the forward balance helps as much as the additional length.

The length sure is nice on a stretch. Much more comfortable than a detachable butt extension but reaches lots of those shots.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I just don't know

I just don't know

I don't think I have ever heard different, but "Bugs" Rucker never used the same cue twice...he borrowed or got one off the rack...I don't think he worried about length, weight, or balance...

Of course not many have the stroke he did...

Bille

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Jeff,

I know Earl's cue must weigh a ton and he hits 'em pretty sporty. A lot of people don't know that Efren's cue weighs 26oz. Also, in one of Miserak's books he talks about doing an exhibition in front of group of people in the steel industry. They had made a cue for him to use made of Stainless Steel. He said it weighed about 6lbs. I think. He said it played just fine but wore him out lugging it around.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I don't think I have ever heard different, but "Bugs" Rucker never used the same cue twice...he borrowed or got one off the rack...I don't think he worried about length, weight, or balance...

Of course not many have the stroke he did...

Bille

Cornbread Red was like this. He played off the wall a lot. I can't do it.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Yeah. I'm not sensitive to the matter of cue balance. I hear people talking about it, but I don't even notice. I have 5 cues I play with, none of them adjusted in any way, but I notice no difference in balance. I think I could detect it if I tried, but it hasn't ever interested me enough to check. I don't know what I'm missing (other than shots :eek: ).

Balance is crucial to me for playability. Could be in the head, I reckon.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I had heard Earl was using a giant length cue, and I remerber playing with a no name two piece cue when I was young that was like 60"s long and I liked it a lot. I had it lifted from me out of a motel room and never thought of trying another long cue until I heard about Earl playing with one.

I just don't want a whippy/noodley shaft so I thought to keep it around the standard length of about (28/29) inches and add all the length in the butt portion of the cue. I am curious if anyone might know the measurements of the butt portion of Earl's cue, the overall length, and the weight?

Mr. Stroud, your knowledgeable input would be appreciated if you wouldn't mind commenting. I know you were a highly successful maker of quailty cues and I would like your thoughts on longer butted cues or anything else you care to share about longer cues in general.

Thanks to those of you who posted a reply and if I have one made I will definitely share my feelings about the playability of a longer cue.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
A cue maker can balance the cue where ever you want within reason. You can have a butt made longer, the shaft, or both. Some woods like ebony are heavier and can be used to change the balance or you can just drill out the butt or add a weight bolt.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Jeff, I'm sure you know Joe Salazar. He lives north of you near Fort Worth. I was discussing a longer butt with him (in contrast to a longer shaft). As it happened he had quite a selection cues with longer butts. I'd never seen them before. If you know him, you might contact him to see what he has.

Alternatively any cue maker should be able to make a good stick with a longer butt. At your height, it seems to me you'd benefit from a 60-61" pole. I use a 59", which is adequate. I wanted a cue long enough so that in neutral position with my forearm at a right angle to the stick I could grip it at, or just behind the middle of the wrap.

Have you ever noticed that Buddy grips his cue all the way at the back near the bumper? Years ago he would have benefited from a longer cue, but he just adjusted. Don't know how he does it...

~Doc

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082

Jeff, I'm sure you know Joe Salazar. He lives north of you near Fort Worth. I was discussing a longer butt with him (in contrast to a longer shaft). As it happened he had quite a selection cues with longer butts. I'd never seen them before. If you know him, you might contact him to see what he has.

Alternatively any cue maker should be able to make a good stick with a longer butt. At your height, it seems to me you'd benefit from a 60-61" pole. I use a 59", which is adequate. I wanted a cue long enough so that in neutral position with my forearm at a right angle to the stick I could grip it at, or just behind the middle of the wrap.

Have you ever noticed that Buddy grips his cue all the way at the back near the bumper? Years ago he would have benefited from a longer cue, but he just adjusted. Don't know how he does it...

~Doc

To your point Doc, people are larger and it stand to reason cues need to fit. You mention neutral position and to do that on a 58" cue, I need to have my back hand midway between the wrap and butt. I am only 5'11" but have big shoulders and really long arms. When I learned to play 57" standard. I think Buddy has adjusted his grip due to his enlarged size which adds to his wing span, he has to adjust to reach neutral

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Further to this

Further to this

Further to this subject, there is a parallel in skeet, trap, sporting clays, all shotgun shorting sports that could apply here. In shotgun sports you shoot ahead of the target, not down the sights as in rifle or handgun. The shotgun mut fit perfect so you look at the target, adjust lead and fire. If the cue fits perfect, it eliminates any adjustment. Line up, estimate, fire.