Answering Gulfport Doc re. Warren Kiamco

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Luke, what's your take on Kiamco's 1P tactics game? I've played him, and always felt that I had a reasonable chance to win because he oftentimes leaves mediocre safties. However when you make a mistake against him (and I made several) he generally makes the shot, and a few more after.

He's a very stoic, unemotional guy, who never says a word. I had to laugh when he and Earl were playing a 1P match on the next table to mine at Galveston. Earl was bitching, commenting, attempting to shark, etc., but Warren acted as though Earl simply wasn't there.

He seems to be learning one-pocket more each tournament. But so far he's been a typical top player who doesn't play the greatest moving game, but his shooting abilities win him matches.

Doc

Doc.....No offense, of course, to your One Pocket game..but imo you no longer have a "reasonable chance to win" against Kiamco - nowadays, more like an extremely slim chance to win..Galveston was 4 years ago...world champion caliber players have a shorter time-related learning curve than the average player...that said...

As for your question...I watched Kiamco's matches against Corey and Carl Wilson, and trust me, he is not playing mediocre safeties anymore..........all of the world champion level 9/10ball players who have by now been playing One Pocket for several years (i.e. Orcullo, Kiamco, Shane, Appleton, etc.), just keep learning the game and are moving better every year....they still don't know all the moves, but they all move very well now and positively do not win their matches on just their shooting alone...

And one last thing about the play of these champions...it's always said about them, how their tremendous shooting ability is what they rely on, and is what gains them so many victories playing One Pocket...but what never gets mentioned re. the One Pocket skill set of these champions, and is just as important as shooting straight, is cueball control, especially in One Pocket - and they all have superior, extremely impressive, pinpoint cueball control.

- Ghost

PS, As an aside...I had never watched Carl Wilson before, and I liked his play - he's got a real solid all-around One Pocket game.

Last edited: