Ernie Banks and Me

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Back in the mid-seventies I played 18-27 holes a day, with a bunch of guys that all gambled at the course, "Waveland" where they held the "Midwest Amature" every year since 1940.We'd have anywhere from 8-20 players in a "Skin" game everyday. One, if not the BEST player's in the group was, John Perry, tall lanky guy in his mid 30's form Puerto Rico. This guys nickname was, "Laser beam," He had this slow rising extremely LONG drive, back in the day of "Persimmon" woods. His iron play was as equally long, with the old style "Forged" blade Titleist.

The course was tough for that time, only 9 holes but had elevated greens, 50 bunkers, tree-lined fairways and because the course was right on Lake Michigan, wind blowing always! The second hole on this course was a short, severe dog-leg right 500 yd. Par 5. Routinely, John would hit a driver and 9 iron or wedge on this hole. It was amazing to see him hit the ball so far back then. He had won the Midwest many time, and always finished high on the leader board. I miss those days with all of them, how there would be 10-20 of us all going down the fairways together on the finishing holes every night, as day turned to dark!

The course was located less than a mile from famous, "Wrigley Field" home of the pitiful "Cubs!" When they were at home some of the players that played, (Ernie "Mr. Cub" Banks, Many Trio and Ron Santo to name a few, who played golf heard about our group, and started to join in on occasions. Ernie was a LONG hitter off the tee, after that, dead as a stump around the greens! He and I used to gamble quite a bit, this one day had, I had a good day had beaten him out of $300.00. When we're through, I expected him to hand me my $300.00, he doesn't, instead he says, "Smitty, I'll have catch up with you when the team returns in 3 weeks." I was upset, because two days before, he had beaten me for, $180.00 and I payed off like a slot machine! I said, NO man, I'm not waiting for 3 weeks to get paid, you didn't have to wait!" I told him, "Give me your clubs, (he had some nice "Honeycomb" irons I liked), you don't need them on the road." When you come back here with my $300.00, I'll give you the clubs!" He said, "Whatever man!" Ernie didn't come around the course after that much, I left his clubs with one of the players to give to him anyway, and the whole thing was just bust his balls a little in front of the guys. Besides, I was going on the road myself for awhile that week.

Years later, I get a call from my sister one night, she tells me, “I’m standing here with Ernie Banks having a drink.” Let me explain, my sister at that time was VP of the relocation and setup department for the “AON” corporation. Her job was to startup NEW offices around the country, in doing her job she was involved with several different moving van companies. One of the main van lines she used was, “Allied” van lines, with so happened to have Ernie Banks as their spokesperson.

That night at “Wrigley” field in the owners special rooms, they had “Allied van lines night honoring them as a sponsor along with Ernie Banks as their special guest for the evening. Naturally my sister is introduced to him, and they strike up a conversation. Many years ago I’d told my family about my game with Ernie, and the results. She begins to tell him, “So Ernie, I hear you know my brother, Bill Smith.” "I don’t think I know any Bill Smith,” “Sure you do, you used to play golf with him and you still owe him 300 bucks!” He still says, “I don’t know him and I don’t owe him, $300.00!”

She tells him, “Wait a minute I’m going to call my brother.” My phone rings, my sister says, “I’m here with a guy that owes you, $300.00.” I say, who’s that,” “Ernie Banks, you want to talk to him?” “Yeh, put him on.” Ernie gets on the phone, says, Hello, Bill, I know you?” I say, “Ernie, it’s Smitty, at the course everyone knew me as (Smitty) from Waveland, remember me?” “Oh yeh, Smitty, you took my clubs!” “That’s right!” I said, “Listen Ernie, I don’t want the $300.00, what I would like if you would is, sign a special card to my daughter, “Erin” from Ernie Banks, and then sign one to me saying,” “To Smitty You WON!” “And we’ll be even.” He says, NO problem, OK Smitty, nice talking to you!”

Here’s his baseball card, signed to me.

View attachment 10361

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Good story....

Good story....

.....Bill,those fat cats mostly think they can walk on their fame/rep or rap as their used to getting away with it.Nice work,cheers,James

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Back in the mid-seventies I played 18-27 holes a day, with a bunch of guys that all gambled at the course, "Waveland" where they held the "Midwest Amature" every year since 1940.We'd have anywhere from 8-20 players in a "Skin" game everyday. One, if not the BEST player's in the group was, John Perry, tall lanky guy in his mid 30's form Puerto Rico. This guys nickname was, "Laser beam," He had this slow rising extremely LONG drive, back in the day of "Persimmon" woods. His iron play was as equally long, with the old style "Forged" blade Titleist.

The course was tough for that time, only 9 holes but had elevated greens, 50 bunkers, tree-lined fairways and because the course was right on Lake Michigan, wind blowing always! The second hole on this course was a short, severe dog-leg right 500 yd. Par 5. Routinely, John would hit a driver and 9 iron or wedge on this hole. It was amazing to see him hit the ball so far back then. He had won the Midwest many time, and always finished high on the leader board. I miss those days with all of them, how there would be 10-20 of us all going down the fairways together on the finishing holes every night, as day turned to dark!

The course was located less than a mile from famous, "Wrigley Field" home of the pitiful "Cubs!" When they were at home some of the players that played, (Ernie "Mr. Cub" Banks, Many Trio and Ron Santo to name a few, who played golf heard about our group, and started to join in on occasions. Ernie was a LONG hitter off the tee, after that, dead as a stump around the greens! He and I used to gamble quite a bit, this one day had, I had a good day had beaten him out of $300.00. When we're through, I expected him to hand me my $300.00, he doesn't, instead he says, "Smitty, I'll have catch up with you when the team returns in 3 weeks." I was upset, because two days before, he had beaten me for, $180.00 and I payed off like a slot machine! I said, NO man, I'm not waiting for 3 weeks to get paid, you didn't have to wait!" I told him, "Give me your clubs, (he had some nice "Honeycomb" irons I liked), you don't need them on the road." When you come back here with my $300.00, I'll give you the clubs!" He said, "Whatever man!" Ernie didn't come around the course after that much, I left his clubs with one of the players to give to him anyway, and the whole thing was just bust his balls a little in front of the guys. Besides, I was going on the road myself for awhile that week.

Years later, I get a call from my sister one night, she tells me, “I’m standing here with Ernie Banks having a drink.” Let me explain, my sister at that time was VP of the relocation and setup department for the “AON” corporation. Her job was to startup NEW offices around the country, in doing her job she was involved with several different moving van companies. One of the main van lines she used was, “Allied” van lines, with so happened to have Ernie Banks as their spokesperson.

That night at “Wrigley” field in the owners special rooms, they had “Allied van lines night honoring them as a sponsor along with Ernie Banks as their special guest for the evening. Naturally my sister is introduced to him, and they strike up a conversation. Many years ago I’d told my family about my game with Ernie, and the results. She begins to tell him, “So Ernie, I hear you know my brother, Bill Smith.” "I don’t think I know any Bill Smith,” “Sure you do, you used to play golf with him and you still owe him 300 bucks!” He still says, “I don’t know him and I don’t owe him, $300.00!”

She tells him, “Wait a minute I’m going to call my brother.” My phone rings, my sister says, “I’m here with a guy that owes you, $300.00.” I say, who’s that,” “Ernie Banks, you want to talk to him?” “Yeh, put him on.” Ernie gets on the phone, says, Hello, Bill, I know you?” I say, “Ernie, it’s Smitty, at the course everyone knew me as (Smitty) from Waveland, remember me?” “Oh yeh, Smitty, you took my clubs!” “That’s right!” I said, “Listen Ernie, I don’t want the $300.00, what I would like if you would is, sign a special card to my daughter, “Erin” from Ernie Banks, and then sign one to me saying,” “To Smitty You WON!” “And we’ll be even.” He says, NO problem, OK Smitty, nice talking to you!”

Here’s the enlarged version of his baseball card, signed to me.

View attachment 10360
I don't no if you follow much sports. But the gave Ernie Banks. The nick name. MR. Cub. And I no you like the name Ernie. Because one of your closest Friends was Ernie Presto. Who was a very smart man on three cushion billiards. And new a lot of systems ans shots. That he learned from the greatest old time billiard players. And there was no nicer man or gentlemen that came into Bensingers. And he new the old Bensingers down town. He spent many years there. Nobody loved the game more than Ernie Presto.

Don Smith

Verified Member
Ernie is still out and about on the northside. I know a guy who sees him regularly.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Great Player but a stiff. Just like many pool players. :)
Rod.

Ernie banks was one of the greatest if not the greatest. Rest home run hitters in baseball. And you always see Ernie banks with a great smile. And back in his time. Baseball players didn't charge kids or fans for there autographs.

Ernie Banks was a great baseball player. And a great shortstop. And not to many short stops were home run hitters. I always give a player his respect in his sport. No matter what his life was about. And what a person did in life should not effect him from getting in the hall of fame.

You get into the hall of fame because of what you did in a certain game. And if a player played good enough to get into the hall of fame then he should be in the hall of fame. And not be Judged by people who are clueless to judging the person what he did playing the game. And not judge him for what he did outside of the game.

You don't get into the hall of fame. Because you are a nice guy. Or they want you to be a nice guy. You get into the hall of fame for what you did for the game you played. And they teach us to love our children for who they are. Not what they do. If a person is a killer. Are you going to say he is a nice guy. Because he is nice to his family and friends. What I am saying one thing has nothing to do with thee other thing.

You get into the hall of fame for what you did for the game. Not weather you are a drunk a drugie or a creep. You get into the hall of fame for your accomplish mint's that are top level with all the other top players in that game. You get into the hall of fame because of your statistics and the things you did playing the game.

And the way I see it the people who make those decision are not qualified or deserve to have that position or job.

All I can say there are good judges and there are bad judges. And that is what we run into in life.