Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Ghost, here is your shot. If you think this is a winning shot I am not sure what else to say. That is your hole over there on the left. If you want to keep arguing after you see this, you win.

Attachments

• Owen-Nevel-1.jpg
    Owen-Nevel-1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost, here is your shot. If you think this is a winning shot I am not sure what else to say. That is your hole over there on the left. If you want to keep arguing after you see this, you win.

Tyler....first of all, you obviously like to argue and have back & forths, like you used to constantly do with SJD.....I don't - it's not worth my time - so this will be my last post to you re. this shot...and also you do all of those annoying, unseemly little things like misquote me, change what I actually said I would do, etc...for example: I said I'm freezing the cueball against the stack - your picture doesn't display it that way :rolleyes:...and I never said it's "a winning shot" as you posted above :rolleyes: - I just presented it as another option, amongst the grouping of not very enticing options...

And lastly, what's really, really laughable is that you're knocking my shot because it leaves the cueball against the wrong side of the stack, while in post #19, the shot that you recommended also leaves the cueball against the wrong side of the stack :rolleyes: your post said this about your recommended shot ----->

I know you are leaving him on the wrong side of the stack but I think it's ok when you are in a tough spot like this.

And don't bother saying: "But, but, my shot was different - my shot was also going to move balls" <------ cuz, that's irrevelant :cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think at the table I would still shoot the 4-railer, but thanks for this. Something we all should have seen and at least considered. (Just the kind of shot Freddy was talking about!)

Good post John...it's good to see someone respond in this positive way for a change: acknowledging another presented option in a positive manner, instead of ignoring it, or knocking it/trying to find a way to tear it down, as is done so often around here.

- Ghost

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Good post John...it's good to see someone respond in this positive way for a change: acknowledging another presented option in a positive manner, instead of ignoring it, or knocking it/trying to find a way to tear it down, as is done so often around here.

- Ghost

Amen to that Brother! ;)

#Cruncher

Verified Member
I would really be pissed :mad: if some of our veteran creative players stopped posting suggestions, as I'm trying to soak up their knowledge. If their idea is not the right shot for me, then so be it, but it least it will be another option to mull over.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Possibly Rod...but I'll have you 100% jacked with you having to make a bridge over the cluster, so you might not kick the one accurately...and if you did hit it perfect, I will probably kick back, at the striped ball that's above Gabe's pocket.

- Ghost
Let me start out first by saying that both Tyler and the Ghost chose viable options in spite of leaving the cue ball on the wrong side of the stack which is fundamentally wrong. However, there will be times (like this one possibly) when leaving the cue ball on the wrong side of the stack is correct. Of the two shots I prefer Tylers over the Ghost's choice because it moves balls and possibly could change the complexion of the ball configuration, which in turn could lessen some of the strength of the oppositions position. But in no way am I saying that the Ghost's option was wrong, both options leaves their opponent in a safe position while executing a legal shot, which in turn puts the burden to respond back to them. The down side of Tylers option, which can't happen with the Ghost's option is that a ball may leak to Tylers side of the table ending up in a position for his opponent to either bank it into balls and create a stronger position, or possibly just play off of the ball and position the cue ball back into the stack. If I were to choose Tylers option I would be mindful of that and let up on the speed of the shot just enough to possibly guard against that from happening. You also run the risk with Tylers option that a ball may come back into the stack and dislodge the cue ball from it's secure position, another reason to let up with the speed of the shot.;) However, shooting Tylers choice with a harder speed will move more balls and most likely improve your position much better, if you're willing to gamble on the possible return options you may leave which leaves us with much to think about to make a decision. Also gambling in situations like this one is common because of the limited options available, and none very attractive.:eek: Playing Tylers shot with aggression isn't all that bad because of the good cue ball that will be positioned in the stack, in spite of the risk's potential. Once again both options are viable ones and should be considered as such in certain situations. FOOD FOR THOUGHT:D

I also would like to bring up Rodney's reply to the Ghost's shot, and that is the return kick into the 1ball as an answer to the Ghost's or possibly Tyler's move. Good eye Rod.:D Your option to their move should have opened the eyes to many on the site to an option that is overlooked too often, definitely a slick move from a slick player.:heh Also Ghost's kick to the 15ball as an answer to Rod's kick was also a nice little nifty choice.

It's discussions of this kind that opens up many doors for players in the thinking dept. and another valid reason that one pocket.org is clearly the best site on the web for learning not only one pocket, but pool in general.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would really be pissed :mad: if some of our veteran creative players stopped posting suggestions, as I'm trying to soak up their knowledge. If their idea is not the right shot for me, then so be it, but it least it will be another option to mull over.

tap,tap, tap

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
the return kick into the 1ball as an answer

Doesn't the return kick at the 1-ball carry a high risk of leaving a shot on the stripe beside it?

It's discussions of this kind that opens up many doors for players in the thinking dept. and another valid reason that one pocket.org is clearly the best site on the web for learning not only one pocket, but pool in general.

Dr. Bill

This place is soooo cool!

Even the limited amount of bickering seems usually to be motivated more by sincere difference of opinion than anything worse. And like the guy with the head of a buffalo said (what's his name?... Jose? :D ) you have a real talent for diplomacy without ass-kissing.

Thanks.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Doesn't the return kick at the 1-ball carry a high risk of leaving a shot on the stripe beside it?

Even the limited amount of bickering seems usually to be motivated more by sincere difference of opinion than anything worse. And like the guy with the head of a buffalo said (what's his name?... Jose? :D ) you have a real talent for diplomacy without ass-kissing.

Thanks.

VERY, VERY clever yourself, LS! ;)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I know you're asking Dr. Bill
Since I suggested the shot I'll give you my take.

If you hit the stripe first and fairly hard, you might leave a shot.
If you hit the 1 ball, I don't think so.
You won't leave a shot unless you strike the shot way too hard. :frus
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Could Anyone explain why no one thought the long kick at the right side of the 15 was not a good choice? I shoot that kick a lot and wondering if I'm shooting wrong shot.
OPG, you want answers? You're entitled to answers.:) Just kidding, of course your shot is an option and one I would consider (cough) had there mot been the 3 cushion escape available. I would put this option right there with all the other options mentioned, other than the 3 cushion escape option, i'll explain.

First, your option is a bit risky for those who opt to play any options other than the cue ball in the stack options. Of course playing the Ghost's option along with Tylers option cuts the risk to "0" oops..Tyler's option with moving balls has some risk to it, however, not as much as the other options with the exception of the Ghost's option. Enough on that.:) Your option requires a very good understanding, and feel for the kick your attempting for several reasons. They are as follows. There is a channel that takes you right to the pocket to a scratch:eek: and that's the same channel you will need to take to hit the correct side of the 15ball to drop safely under the 4ball. Not much margin for error. If you play the safe side of that channel to be on the safe side then you figure to hit the 15ball too fat, which could be fatal, or at minimum sell out a bank on either the 6ball or 8ball. Either of those two balls would put your game a a very high risk of losing it. The 3 cushion escape option offers you a better chance of dropping to the bottom rail then your one rail kick option does, for obvious reasons. If you take away the 3 cushion escape option from the menu of options then your option becomes more appealing, however, maybe not so much to play it for others that don't have confidence in that type of kick that is fraught with danger.:sorry Now if you are confident in your ability to pull it off, then go for it.

Summation: The 3 cushion kick option is an easier option to execute than the one rail kick option, plus there is no chance of scratching with the 3 cushion kick option. Your target area is larger with a better cue ball result, with less risk.

Hope that helped you understand a little more about the risk and how to avoid them, when possible.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I know you're asking Dr. Bill
Since I suggested the shot I'll give you my take.

No, I was really asking anybody, and your thinking is probably most relevant.

If you hit the stripe first and fairly hard, you might leave a shot.
If you hit the 1 ball, I don't think so.
You won't leave a shot unless you strike the shot way too hard. :frus
Rod.

The how-hard is one of the things I was thinking about. Soft is safer, but too soft is the same as taking the first nudge foul. I guess even that is not so bad. Gabe taking the first foul there isn't NEARLY as bad as Larry doing it.

Thanks

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
No, I was really asking anybody, and your thinking is probably most relevant.

The how-hard is one of the things I was thinking about. Soft is safer, but too soft is the same as taking the first nudge foul. I guess even that is not so bad. Gabe taking the first foul there isn't NEARLY as bad as Larry doing it.

Thanks

John, the kick to the 1ball is an important shot like any other important shot you must strike it well to get good results. Of course if the 1ball is struck squarely then the speed of the hit can be compromised to defend against the possibility of selling out a shot. Bottom line is the more proficient you are with the kick the softer you can kick because of your efficiency with the execution of the shot. I hope I explained that so you understand it.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
efficiency with the execution of the shot

Dr. Bill

No doubt "risk of leaving a shot" applies more to me than to you and rod on that shot. I see the shot working very well with the right speed and the right hit. I always have to consider my "what if" downsides.

Thanks.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
No doubt "risk of leaving a shot" applies more to me than to you and rod on that shot. I see the shot working very well with the right speed and the right hit. I always have to consider my "what if" downsides.

Thanks.

Gotcha, with practice and the ability to focus you will start thinking the positives of the 'upsides". You have the interest which is a big part of the recipe, here you can pick up the ingredients, all that is left then would be the seasoning.:D

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Owen vs. Nevel 2008 DCC

Dr. That is absolutely poetic!!! I love it. Seasoning! True story!! (Referring to myself, of course)