Best players out of Columbia, SC

Gamecocklnb

I grew up playing at The Varsity as a USC student. Learned 1 pocket from Eligah and still stay in touch with him as best I can. My running partner still lives in Columbia. Some people call him "Coat and Tie Chris". He plays alot of 1 pocket. Good local player but a few balls below Scott. Recently moved up to Grand Rapids, Michigan from Dallas. I played 1 pocket regularly at Clicks and went over and watched many of the Wednesday night games with Billy Incardona and Newkirk. Stayed in contact regualrly with Joey Barnes until about a year ago and lost his number.

Back to Columbia....The best players in my day were Doogie Boy and Hayman. Most people believe that Scott Rabon is the best to ever come out of the Columbia area. Many people say that Eligah was better than all of them. Anyone with any real knowledge of Columbia or who has an opinion, shed some light.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Gamecocklnb said:
I grew up playing at The Varsity as a USC student. Learned 1 pocket from Eligah and still stay in touch with him as best I can. My running partner still lives in Columbia. Some people call him "Coat and Tie Chris". He plays alot of 1 pocket. Good local player but a few balls below Scott. Recently moved up to Grand Rapids, Michigan from Dallas. I played 1 pocket regularly at Clicks and went over and watched many of the Wednesday night games with Billy Incardona and Newkirk. Stayed in contact regualrly with Joey Barnes until about a year ago and lost his number.

Back to Columbia....The best players in my day were Doogie Boy and Hayman. Most people believe that Scott Rabon is the best to ever come out of the Columbia area. Many people say that Eligah was better than all of them. Anyone with any real knowledge of Columbia or who has an opinion, shed some light.

Game, welcome to the site.......by the way, re. your post...I posted last week about having played in a South Carolina Legends of One Pocket tournament that I did pretty well in a few years ago....I was 2 and 0 and then my next match was with a young guy that I had never heard of - so I was glad that I missed Nevel, Parica, Cliff, etc that round - but maybe I should have been worried, since about 20 locals all came over to watch our match....well this young guy played REAL good and I lost to him - his name was Scott Rabon...I guess from what you said I shouldn't feel too bad losing that match to him, lol.

- Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Game, welcome to the site.......by the way, re. your post...I posted last week about having played in a South Carolina Legends of One Pocket tournament that I did pretty well in a few years ago....I was 2 and 0 and then my next match was with a young guy that I had never heard of - so I was glad that I missed Nevel, Parica, Cliff, etc that round - but maybe I should have been worried, since about 20 locals all came over to watch our match....well this young guy played REAL good and I lost to him - his name was Scott Rabon...I guess from what you said I shouldn't feel too bad losing that match to him, lol.

- Ghost

His name might have been Scott Peterson, (the convicted killer) or Scott Smith, (the astronaut).. you still might have gotten beat. :D

Dick <----DCC bound.... looking for soft action like the Ghost.... I don't need much weight. :eek:

Last edited:

Gamecocklnb

One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Yeh...Scott's plays some pretty decent One Pocket although he doesn't have much heart IN MY OPINION. I think Scott would do well chasing the tournaments around because his 9 ball game is pretty strong. His best game is One Pocket though and I can't remember him ever winning the big money. Probably the best player out of Columbia in terms of skill but only in the top 10 at best in terms of heart. Just my opinion. One thing's for sure though....he can damn sure recover a table with the best of them.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Dick <----DCC bound.... looking for soft action like the Ghost.... I don't need much weight. :eek:

You want some wait...I'll give you some wait = 4 more days until you see me and have to back up all of your woofing !......:eek:...:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
"bout time

"bout time

One Pocket Ghost said:
You want some weight...I'll give you some weight. You've got 8 to 4. Then you'll have to back up all of your woofing !......:eek:...:D

Thanks Ghost, I knew you'd make a fair game. :)

Dick <---can't wait.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Thanks Ghost, I knew you'd make a fair game. :)

Dick <---can't wait.

Listen up, SandHoserDick, I've already warned you that I'm going to notify the Comedy Writers Association/Union if you don't stop stealing my comedy material - This is your final warning.....:mad:

- Ghost

Bigkat

Well-Known-Member
UPDATED LIST: NOT COMPREHENSIVE 💡
Just a few names that come to mind:
Josh Roberts (Sumter, 30min from Columbia)
Scott Rabon (Tons of knowledge, doesn't play much anymore)
Dave Cook (Solid, not full time player)
Marty Free (Been around a long time)
Peanut (Sumter, SC)
Hartsville, SC has good players
Charleston, SC good players
Greenville, SC good players
Aiken/Augusta good players
Guys from North Carolina and South Carolina cross the border all the time etc..

baby huey

Verified Member
Our son lives in SC and I'm heading there with my wife this week and will have only two days to play probably at Grady's. I'm willing to play anyone even up for $50 - 100 a game at Grady's for no more than 4 hours. I'll take a ball from Josh even though he's got the best of it for the same bet. Just let me know via this site.

JesseBFan

UPDATED LIST: NOT COMPREHENSIVE 💡
Just a few names that come to mind:
Josh Roberts (Sumter, 30min from Columbia)
Scott Rabon (Tons of knowledge, doesn't play much anymore)
Dave Cook (Solid, not full time player)
Marty Free (Been around a long time)
Peanut (Sumter, SC)
Hartsville, SC has good players
Charleston, SC good players
Greenville, SC good players
Aiken/Augusta good players
Guys from North Carolina and South Carolina cross the border all the time etc..
1 Josh
Big Gap
2 Scott
3 Cook
Nobody else can play 1 pocket at any sort of high level in Columbia, SC.

JesseBFan

Our son lives in SC and I'm heading there with my wife this week and will have only two days to play probably at Grady's. I'm willing to play anyone even up for $50 - 100 a game at Grady's for no more than 4 hours. I'll take a ball from Josh even though he's got the best of it for the same bet. Just let me know via this site.
Good luck finding a game, might get lucky and run into a handful of takers but just have to get lucky one of them is around. Can also try a place called Overtime about 15-20 min away from there.

Bigkat

Well-Known-Member
Not in Columbia but, Dang, no love for J-Bird or Brian White.
I started to add J-Bird but I think he's from TX although he's in the Carolina's often. I think he has a room in SC. J-Bird Definitely at the TOP!! 👍🏼👍🏼
I've heard Brian White can play. I know Hunter White from NC is a good player and not too far away for action. 💰

Gamecocklnb

On the 9 Ball side of things in Columbia, I heard recently that Doogie Boy is playing again and hitten ‘em’ as good as ever. Anyone seen Doogie play? He and another local guy named Hayman were pretty damn strong local guys with heart. Doogie hung up his stick for 20 years but returned to playing not long ago. Right back to his old speed though. Dude was a stone cold killer back in the day….

JesseBFan

On the 9 Ball side of things in Columbia, I heard recently that Doogie Boy is playing again and hitten ‘em’ as good as ever. Anyone seen Doogie play? He and another local guy named Hayman were pretty damn strong local guys with heart. Doogie hung up his stick for 20 years but returned to playing not long ago. Right back to his old speed though. Dude was a stone cold killer back in the day….
knew Haymon well myself but perhaps I knew Doogie by a different name? Cuz that one isn't ringing a bell right now. Could just be that I'm old and forgetful though.

JesseBFan

I'd imagine Chris would have as good of an opinion as anyone as he lost to everyone he played lol. Who beat him the worst is the real question? lol

Eligah? hmm another name I don't know. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time at Varsity. Can't imagine he played better than Haymon(pre sickness) or Scott in the 90s. Nobody played better than Scott in the 90s to early 2000s around here and that includes Josh Roberts current speed as well.

Gamecocklnb

I'd imagine Chris would have as good of an opinion as anyone as he lost to everyone he played lol. Who beat him the worst is the real question? lol

Eligah? hmm another name I don't know. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time at Varsity. Can't imagine he played better than Haymon(pre sickness) or Scott in the 90s. Nobody played better than Scott in the 90s to early 2000s around here and that includes Josh Roberts current speed as well.
Hey man! Thanks for hitting me back. I think we’re thinking about different Chris’s. Chris played Scott dead even getting 10-7 from him. Certainly never got to Hayman or Scott’s level. You’re right about Scott in the 90’s. Playing “at home,” nobody had to like it.

Doogie and Hayman were great friends. Doogie Boy eventually dropped out of pool and became a Pastor. So many true pool characters from that time. Old guys like Roscoe (people said he was better than all of em’ in his day), Elijah. Guys like cab driver Frenchie, Mary, Gene Weaver, Augusta Slim, John Sharpeson. Was just fun learning to play around those guys. I knew I had to lose to learn how to match up, play and win.

Thanks again for hitting me back….Take care

JesseBFan

Hey man! Thanks for hitting me back. I think we’re thinking about different Chris’s. Chris played Scott dead even getting 10-7 from him. Certainly never got to Hayman or Scott’s level. You’re right about Scott in the 90’s. Playing “at home,” nobody had to like it.

Doogie and Hayman were great friends. Doogie Boy eventually dropped out of pool and became a Pastor. So many true pool characters from that time. Old guys like Roscoe (people said he was better than all of em’ in his day), Elijah. Guys like cab driver Frenchie, Mary, Gene Weaver, Augusta Slim, John Sharpeson. Was just fun learning to play around those guys. I knew I had to lose to learn how to match up, play and win.

Thanks again for hitting me back….Take care
we are talking about the same Chris. Chris(greek last name I never knew how to spell). He gambled with everyone, he should have a good idea.