Rules

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Damn rules are always getting in the way of my fun. When I was growing up, a split hit was a bad hit. In the west, it is considered a good hit. If you're supposed to hit the object ball first, how can a split hit be a good hit. :eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Damn rules are always getting in the way of my fun. When I was growing up, a split hit was a bad hit. In the west, it is considered a good hit. If you're supposed to hit the object ball first, how can a split hit be a good hit. :eek:

what do you mean by a "split hit"??
sorry i dont know...:eek::eek:

Renegade_56

Verified Member
if the cue ball with a legal stroke hits 2 balls at the same time
why is that a foul??

In the venue of 1 pocket it wouldn't be. as long as something also hits a rail. but in a different game, say 9 ball or 10 ball, where there is a designated or target ball you must hit first then, well, it seems the answer would be just that. You must hit a certain ball first, which a split hit technically does not do.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
In the venue of 1 pocket it wouldn't be. as long as something also hits a rail. but in a different game, say 9 ball or 10 ball, where there is a designated or target ball you must hit first then, well, it seems the answer would be just that. You must hit a certain ball first, which a split hit technically does not do.[/quote

No I am not talking about one pocket but numerical games, nine, ten ball.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
In any game or sport if two teams or two individuals tie for first place, are they both winners, are they both losers, or do we say one wins and one loses?

I would never call foul if I thought that both balls were truly hit simultaneously.:confused:

In a 50/50 situation, there is just as good an argument for the shooter as for the opponent, call should go with the shooter.:sorry

JMHO

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
BCA rules say that the lowest numbered ball must be struck first. Of course there are a million local variations of rules. Just this week I was asked to watch a hit in a tournament. If the ball was made it would have been a split hit. Thankfully the player hit it so poorly it was an easy call.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
BCA rules say that the lowest numbered ball must be struck first. Of course there are a million local variations of rules. Just this week I was asked to watch a hit in a tournament. If the ball was made it would have been a split hit. Thankfully the player hit it so poorly it was an easy call.

OK, but is "tie for first" literal, or figurative? If nothing else comes before, is it not first?

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I assume BCAPL is a set of league rules.

BCAPL:
"1-19 Legal Shot (AR p. 81)
1. For a shot to be legal, the first ball contacted by the cue ball must be a legal object ball, or simultaneous contact with a legal and illegal object ball may occur."

ETA: It appears that all other rule makers have left it open for argument.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
it is impossible almost to be a split hit, so no one can determine that the right ball was not hit first. so when its so close you cant tell one way or the other for sure, the shooter has to prevail.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
it is impossible almost to be a split hit, so no one can determine that the right ball was not hit first. so when its so close you cant tell one way or the other for sure, the shooter has to prevail.
Yes. When you can't tell which ball was hit first (a "split hit"), yet one player must be given the call - the shooter is given the benefit of the doubt.

pj
chgo

El Chapo

Verified Member
I have never in all my pool years guessed that a hit was a split. It's just not an option for me. That doesn't make me right but I'm just saying. Do pro td's actually call "splits" from time to time? I've never heard one do it? Or do they just call good or bad, split is never an option? I see hits as good or bad myself, I don't see split as an option. I will tell you there could be many times where the hit could actually be a split, and the cb will tend to react how it would on a good hit so I'd call it good even if I knew it was a split myself. If that made any sense haha.