one-pocket shirt design ideas

moose man

Verified Member
From
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Hello All!!

Short story:
I need to design a one-pocket league shirt and thought it might be worthwhile to ask if anyone has seen any simple figures that would be really fitting for embroidering of silk printing on a one-pocket shirt. I'm going to try to attach the design that I came up with myself, which I would like to improve upon. Thanks in advance!

Longer story:
So earlier this year a couple buddies and I were discussing setting up a "developmental one-pocket league" in Colorado Springs to encourage players to explore this beautiful game who haven't done so, and also create opportunities to play more for the rest of us. I went ahead and ran with the idea, and although I'm biased, I will still announce that it was a success. I created a Facebook group, and we had about 18 players join us. The format was a round robin that we expected might get somewhere around 1/2 way completed after approximately three months of people scheduling matches on FB. Then took 100% of the league fees that I collected ($10 per match) and funded a nice purse (around $1200) for a tournament. The tournament is mostly complete, with just 6 players left trying to get the last matches played. As a benefit to those who played, I'm going to have shirts made for everyone.

Mooseman

Attachments

• 1pkt figure.jpg
    1pkt figure.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Hello All!!

Short story:
I need to design a one-pocket league shirt and thought it might be worthwhile to ask if anyone has seen any simple figures that would be really fitting for embroidering of silk printing on a one-pocket shirt. I'm going to try to attach the design that I came up with myself, which I would like to improve upon. Thanks in advance!

Longer story:
So earlier this year a couple buddies and I were discussing setting up a "developmental one-pocket league" in Colorado Springs to encourage players to explore this beautiful game who haven't done so, and also create opportunities to play more for the rest of us. I went ahead and ran with the idea, and although I'm biased, I will still announce that it was a success. I created a Facebook group, and we had about 18 players join us. The format was a round robin that we expected might get somewhere around 1/2 way completed after approximately three months of people scheduling matches on FB. Then took 100% of the league fees that I collected ($10 per match) and funded a nice purse (around $1200) for a tournament. The tournament is mostly complete, with just 6 players left trying to get the last matches played. As a benefit to those who played, I'm going to have shirts made for everyone.

Mooseman

Great to hear you got a One Pocket league kick started in your local room! I'm curious about your format -- handicapped?? Tiered competition?? Or all heads up play, in particular.

Regarding your graphic design -- sorry I cannot help, that is not my strong suit lol.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Hello All!!

Short story:

Longer story:

Mooseman

Is my old buddy Tony Cisneros still around? I was last there about 4 years ago and he was still out there hustlin...lol Do they still have the golf game going at Antiques?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hello All!!

Short story:

Longer story:

Mooseman

Nice post Robert, welcome back to the forum. I'm sure you will get some graphic ideas from others, but this one is nice if you don't.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Nice post Robert, welcome back to the forum. I'm sure you will get some graphic ideas from others, but this one is nice if you don't.

See you are addressing mooseman by name, so I presume that you know him and could vouch for him. And I am reading that he is running a local One Pocket league. When I see this kind of thing, I would be inclined to go ahead and elevate mooseman to a Verified member, even though he only has 8 posts -- he has a valued long time member to vouch for him and he is doing other things to promote the game!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
See you are addressing mooseman by name, so I presume that you know him and could vouch for him. And I am reading that he is running a local One Pocket league. When I see this kind of thing, I would be inclined to go ahead and elevate mooseman to a Verified member, even though he only has 8 posts -- he has a valued long time member to vouch for him and he is doing other things to promote the game!

Yes I vouch for him. :) Robert just joined the Facebook group, too.

Last edited:

moose man

Verified Member
From
league format

league format

Great to hear you got a One Pocket league kick started in your local room! I'm curious about your format -- handicapped?? Tiered competition?? Or all heads up play, in particular.

Regarding your graphic design -- sorry I cannot help, that is not my strong suit lol.

Hi Steve!

Yes, we used the one through ten handicap chart from this site (thanks for the resources). We assigned everyone a ranking based on known ability, and ended up with players with rankings from 1 through 9 (so we can accommodate a ringer should Chip Compton decide to move to COS):lol

I created a spreadsheet to track wins/losses, and set out to finish as much of a complete round robin format as peoples motivation and schedules would allow over approximately a 2-3 month time period. I believe we had 19 players, which equates to each of us having the ability to theoretically play 18 matches. A couple folks only played a couple matches and a couple of us played as many as we could possibly schedule. So when if felt like progress had mostly stalled, we said "Okay, if you want in the tournament and have played less than 10 matches, pony up the $10 per match for each unplayed match to make the pot right. If you played over 10 matches you get a refund for contributions beyond $100."

Everyone schedules matches using the Facebook group that I created and drops a scoresheet and cash into a lockbox at the poolroom. It's not perfect, but I feel it worked pretty darn good for a first attempt beta test!

moose man

Verified Member
From
Tony and golf

Tony and golf

Is my old buddy Tony Cisneros still around? I was last there about 4 years ago and he was still out there hustlin...lol Do they still have the golf game going at Antiques?

Hi there crabbcatjohn!

There is still a daytime golf game at Antiques, and from what I understand Saturday is when it's most reliable to get a decent number of players.

Tony is still around and hitting balls from what I hear, but not at the poolroom any more. I've heard he goes to a local bar or two that have several barbox tables. They have a history at Antique Billiards of kicking people out for really stupid reasons, including some of the best players in town. Someone told me they thought Tony was on this list, but I don't know that to be true. I hope it's not, because as you probably know that golf game (and pool) seemed to be a big part of his routine. I know he really loves to play and is likely one of the strongest players in the country in the over 90 years old club.

I just started playing heads up golf a couple times a week when I can find an evening game, and I'm really enjoying it. I suspect it is making more like Bruce Lee's Mule with all the kicking practice I get!

moose man

Verified Member
From

Thanks Dave! I hope to get some more feedback/ ideas. The hand drawn figure below is similar, but WAY cooler. Possibly a bit more difficult for an embroidery machine though...

moose man

Verified Member
From

Thanks Steve! I've met you a couple times at DCC as well, but we have yet to play. We should fix that next year!