One Pocket Being Played Around The Country

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Myself and a few other one pocket players were talking, and we were all wondering/wanting to know, exactly how much one pocket is being played in all of the other cities/pool halls....So to try and find this out we're asking everybody on the site to please answer the following question from your city/poolroom....And all of you lurkers that don't/haven't posted, please join in.

The question that we're asking, which we thought would best give a pretty good idea of one pocket around the country is this : On an average friday night in your poolroom, during prime pool season ( fall-early spring ), if I walked in the door around 10:00 p.m. how many one pocket games/sessions would I see going on ? - Optional additional question: how much would the most common bet be ?

So, Denver, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Anchorage and all of the other cities tell us what the one pocket action is like at your poolroom, with: "Gods gift to pool - One Pocket".....PS, Also, if any other countries are playing one pocket (which I doubt) please let us know.

Thanks in advance everybody, for the info, ( and for maybe helping some of us plan our road trips ^_^ )

Mike

Verified Member
I can't speak for Friday nights at 10 pm but from 11 am until around 6 pm at Tacony Billiards in Phila. from Mon. thru Sat. it's about 80% one-pocket with the regular players.

DawgAndy

I'm like Mike, I don't go out at night but on Saturday mornings if I'm at the room there will be one five dollar game going on. About once a month i go to the Akron/Canton area rooms and there's usually 2 or 3 1 hole games going on at night. Most are cheap considering the players but if a roadie comes in theres a couple of guys that will step up.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
One Pocket Is King @ The Break!

One Pocket Is King @ The Break!

At the PoolHall I hang in (The Break, in Cahokia, IL) - One Pocket Is King. There is quite a lot of 9 Ball played also but the majority of BIG $ games are One Pocket. I'm talking about the $3K to $10K sets of which there seems to be at least 3 or 4 per week. No one is sneaking up on anyone though as the players of late have been the likes of - Lil John, Johnny Hagar, Ronnie, Gabe, Tony, Chris Bartrum, Andy Friedhoffen, George Breedlove & Jeanette, Tony Fargo, David Matlock, Jason, (I think), from Canada, Etc.
We are lucky enough to have 3 Whales in action right now and if they aren't playing players themselves, they are putting players "In The Box".
ANYONE IN THE WORLD WILL GET SOME KIND OF ACTION, HERE, NOW!

This Room is having a big Mid-West 9 Ball tourney next week end I'll bet the action is going to be non-stop!

TY & GL

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I play in two places:

St. Louis: Here, there is quite a bit of one pocket played. Like OldHasBeen said, almost all the big action in town is 1hole action. Regularly, in a few of the rooms in town, you can find action playing 50-200 per set. I don't go over to the room OldHasBeen plays at that often, so you will have to rely on him for information regarding The Break.

Boston: Almost no one plays one pocket in Boston, and the few that do play 1hole generally play good enough that I shouldn't be playing them.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Northern California 1Pkt is plentiful

Northern California 1Pkt is plentiful

It's almost like living in the Mid-West. I use to think that One Pocket play in the Chicago-Louisville-Cincinnati areas and 100 miles in almost any direction was the most I'd ever seen.

It seems that 1P is the game of choice to match up out here. Sure there is the usual 9 Ball with the younger and less experienced players. But, when the big money comes out.. it's all about the game of One Pocket.

Just about any day during the week, there is 1P being played. Weekends are for the bangers and social crowds. Serious money games are usually way after hours or during late Sunday thru Thursday nites.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I wish there was more One Pocket in the Boston area :)

Pool in general is taking a hit in the area, with a couple of closings and a couple more rooms threatened. It's probably a combination of cyclical interest, a statewide smoking ban that covers poolrooms, and poker.

On an upbeat note, the web traffic statistics for OnePocket.org show that our "Getting Started" section is consistently one of our most popular pages -- after the forums. Hopefully that means more players having the courage to get better acquainted with the game first hand...

T411

Verified Member
Albuquerque One Pocket

Albuquerque One Pocket

Louie Roybal has taught many players one pocket through out the years in Albuquerque. He knows the moves as well as anyone and knows this game as well as anyone. Louie is in his 70’s & does not see as well as he once did but still enjoys the game every day and still plays it better than most. He is at the Corner Pocket in Albuquerque every day teaching someone. I would not say that you would see any one pocket games that late, more like 1pm- 6pm. The action is not like it was back in the day but I think this game is making a comeback, very fast! Old School’ers like Louie are a big part of it! :)

Bet_High

One hole in Des Moines,Iowa has steadily picked up since the opening of Big Dog Billiards .. There has been action there of some sort nearly everyday and evening since they opened in February 2005...They just swapped out 3 bar size tables for 3 more 9 foot Gold Crown IV's and are putting up a 6 X 12 snooker table.. There has been quite a few requests from players for a table with triple shimmed pockets for playing one pocket on exclusively.. I'm hoping that happens so we can really have some serious games.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Anyone there remember "FEZ"?

Anyone there remember "FEZ"?

T411 said:
Louie Roybal has taught many players one pocket through out the years in Albuquerque. He knows the moves as well as anyone and knows this game as well as anyone. Louie is in his 70’s & does not see as well as he once did but still enjoys the game every day and still plays it better than most. He is at the Corner Pocket in Albuquerque every day teaching someone. I would not say that you would see any one pocket games that late, more like 1pm- 6pm. The action is not like it was back in the day but I think this game is making a comeback, very fast! Old School’ers like Louie are a big part of it! :)

There used to be a good one-pocket player there named "FEZ". Was also a shoe salesman. Had a Balabushka just like mine. George only made 3 like it. Know anything about him or the cue ???
TY & GL

T411

Verified Member
OldHasBeen said:
There used to be a good one-pocket player there named "FEZ". Was also a shoe salesman. Had a Balabushka just like mine. George only made 3 like it. Know anything about him or the cue ???
TY & GL

“FEZ”… Yea I saw him at the WPBA U.S. Open with Louie but I do not know him. He is a real Old School’er. I think that he owned a pool hall in Albuquerque at one time. He is older that Louie and is not seen that much. Louie Roybal and him are good friends. I have heard that he does have more than one Balabushka. “FEZ" was a big part of the Albuquerque pool scene back in the day.

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
Miami florida here. In Miami the main action room is Sharpshooters in Kendall and Bird Bowl. The Bird bowl action is rough because its only really for Chicago (the game chicago) action and they wont play unless they have a good line on who you are. Plus it a heavy Cuban pool room and you have to deal with 100 people chattering in Spanish right next to you and when your down on the ball. If you can qualify and fade that, you can get played for probably the most amt on a regular basis than anywhere in Miami.

There are plenty of the regulars banging 9 ball for cheap, but if there is a game for $100-200 a game it will usually be in one pocket. Miami has never been a raging hotspot of action, and usually you will see one or two one pockets games going with the avg bet around $20 a game. Up the florida coast some more would probably be a better choice if you were looking for 4 or 5 figure games.

chief

Verified Member
loveshiscue,I used to play at birdbowl,and sharpshooters when I lived in miami in the mid nineties,Is kenney at birdbowl still around.I used to play at Pegs alot,and there was always action,not to mention danny d. played thier alot.good luck.