shooting the spot shot for the cash

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Spot Shots

Spot Shots

When I'm rollin' em and stepping into anything off center with the same feel as a Noon Whitey force follow :cool:, 99% of the time that its not made it'll jaw.

backplaying

Verified Member
How can you NOT shoot the spot shot in this situation?

Perhaps others don't practice it like I do.

Bill S.

I have to shoot the spot shot and draw the ball. The worse thing I can see happen is over cutting it and it going three rails and move that ball and leaving a long rail bank, so, I'm aiming at the left side of the pocket.. I know it also depends on how you feel at the time. I know Grady would have passed on the spot shot.

bstroud

Verified Member
I have to shoot the spot shot and draw the ball. The worse thing I can see happen is over cutting it and it going three rails and move that ball and leaving a long rail bank, so, I'm aiming at the left side of the pocket.. I know it also depends on how you feel at the time. I know Grady would have passed on the spot shot.

I am aiming at the center of the pocket and expect to make it.

I guess that's why I beat Grady every time we played anything.

Bill S.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The spot shot came up late in at least two games today for cheap money -- once for me and once for my opponent that I definitely remember. I missed when I had it, and my opponent banked my miss and made another ball afterwards. It was my game ball but he needed three at the time, so it came down to the last ball. Later I got a little rub on the cue ball and scratched on a bank that I missed but left my missed bank about 6 inches out from my pocket, where it was a definite threat, but also a good bank for my opponent. We both needed two after my scratch and he slow rolled his spot shot and buried it with shape for the cross corner bank for the win, which he also buried. So it did not work out for me and it did work out for my opponent, lol.

Skin

Verified Member
Is there any self-respecting pool player on Earth who cannot make a spot shot? Good grief! It is the easiest shot on the table and yet is the most pressure-filled shot for the cheese. Practice it or pucker up and lose.

Pre-Texas Express Skin

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
John is a war horse who takes down champions. It's hard to second guess his choice here, especially when it's backed up by elite thinkers like Frank the Barber, Freddy the Beard, OnePocketHacker, and Cardone.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Is there any self-respecting pool player on Earth who cannot make a spot shot? Good grief! It is the easiest shot on the table and yet is the most pressure-filled shot for the cheese. Practice it or pucker up and lose.

Pre-Texas Express Skin

"When that rope pulls tight, you can feel the devil bite your ass"

Tuco Benidicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Grady loved to shoot phony shots. He would've probably shot the spot-shot faster than anyone.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
"When that rope pulls tight, you can feel the devil bite your ass"

Tuco Benidicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

I thought it was this Tuco you were referring to until I looked it up. Some of his quotes were doozies as well.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Huh???

Any shot that requires proper approach, warm up swings, correct speed of cue ball and is 5 feet away, doesn't sound like ''the easiest shot''. I've seen the best players in the world miss spot shots in rotation games MANY times for the win.

beatle

Verified Member
since my first post in this thread showing how to figure your chances of winning. it seems johns bank was a safety and not trying to make the ball.

this decreases his chances of winning drastically and makes it a poor choice as he can now not have anyway near the chance of winning the game as if he had shot the spot shot.

he won anyway but that doesnt make a bit of difference.

it is understanding your chances of winning. if you dont and just wing it on intuition then you give up way too much to the player that can make better decisions.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
since my first post in this thread showing how to figure your chances of winning. it seems johns bank was a safety and not trying to make the ball.

this decreases his chances of winning drastically and makes it a poor choice as he can now not have anyway near the chance of winning the game as if he had shot the spot shot.

he won anyway but that doesnt make a bit of difference.

it is understanding your chances of winning. if you dont and just wing it on intuition then you give up way too much to the player that can make better decisions.

I know you are a purist, and if you are the Beatle from Baltimore, was/are a better player than me or I ever was. Maybe your better no matter where you are from.

I had pounded two spot shots into the rubber. On one of them I hit it so bad I drew the cue ball into a ball on the rail on Ghosts side and left him a thin cut.

The only other shot I remotely considered was two railing the ball on his side to my side of the table and following the cue ball down to the end rail. I had lost a game earlier where I came from 7/1 down to the last ball and left Ghost a two rail shot he made to win the game.

I am 74 years old and get the yips, especially on spot shots when I am trying to draw the cue ball. Wish I did not, but I do.

I will always feel like I shot the right shot. It ultimately got me the cheese and I went home with a pocketful of $$ instead of an empty wagon.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I know you are a purist, and if you are the Beatle from Baltimore, was/are a better player than me or I ever was. Maybe your better no matter where you are from.

I had pounded two spot shots into the rubber. On one of them I hit it so bad I drew the cue ball into a ball on the rail on Ghosts side and left him a thin cut.

The only other shot I remotely considered was two railing the ball on his side to my side of the table and following the cue ball down to the end rail. I had lost a game earlier where I came from 7/1 down to the last ball and left Ghost a two rail shot he made to win the game.

I am 74 years old and get the yips, especially on spot shots when I am trying to draw the cue ball. Wish I did not, but I do.

I will always feel like I shot the right shot. It ultimately got me the cheese and I went home with a pocketful of $$ instead of an empty wagon.

But ya never did give us the lowdown on Chi Town Eateries....how was the pizza? Italian Beef sandwiches???

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
But ya never did give us the lowdown on Chi Town Eateries....how was the pizza? Italian Beef sandwiches???

Yes I did. One of my first posts was...Food in Chicago.

My first stop was Gene & Judes for hot dogs with fries. Went back several times. Then it was Frannie's for Italian Beef and I tried a combo sausage & beef too. All were delicious. Then pizza with the BEARD at Beggars, near Red Shoes.

They only think they can make sausage in CA. Chicago's is the best. Malnati's will ship it and I will get some for the crew at Hard Times in Sac.

I might come back for the food, game or no game.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
since my first post in this thread showing how to figure your chances of winning. it seems johns bank was a safety and not trying to make the ball. This decreases his chances of winning drastically and makes it a poor choice as he can now not have anyway near the chance of winning the game as if he had shot the spot shot. He won anyway but that doesnt make a bit of difference.

Beatle, If you can't accept John's explanation, you must have missed this post also.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=118879&postcount=26

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Where I play regularly in Manchester, NH I have to play a lot of their strange local game ("Around the World") and spot shots come up fairly often. In that game, I make them at a pretty respectable percentage. Unfortunately it isn't the same thing when I translate to One Pocket. At least for me, and I think a lot of other players, pocketing balls in general is a lot harder to keep near my top form playing One Pocket than it is when I am playing other games or practicing, where I am better able to maintain a ball pocketing rhythm.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
I had pounded two spot shots into the rubber. On one of them I hit it so bad I drew the cue ball into a ball on the rail on Ghosts side and left him a thin cut...

...I am 74 years old and get the yips, especially on spot shots when I am trying to draw the cue ball. Wish I did not, but I do ...

when I watched some of your match again definitely saw that you missed that first spot shot literally by a mile :eek: right into the rail. in fact hit it so bad you two-railed the ball in the opposite corner :eek: :frus

understand now why you never even considered shooting the crucial end spot shot ... with the other miss so fresh in your mind. just got down immediately and played the safe bank shot with no hesitation, good move and the correct one for knowing yourself :) $$

you guys did well, unfortunately somebody had to lose

once again thanks for the entertainment. a very good job by the both of ya's :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Are you speaking of Dale, the Baltimore Beatle? I spent a lot of time with him at Ye Billiard Den in 69, 70, 71 or about. Always wondered what happened to him because he was in a bit of trouble at that time.

Beard

The way that I look at things is from a different perspective, what is the shot that I would least want you to shoot. In your particular situation, my bunghole would have done a pucker once I seen you had decided to bank the ball rather than shoot the spot shot, my nerves would have much rather that you get it over with by shooting the spot shot knowing that if you missed with that ball on my side, my chances of winning would go up dramatically.

If I was playing an idiot, however, I would not want him to shoot the spot shot, because suckers always make those types of shots because they are too uninformed to pay attn to the pressure of the situation. I would rather he play the bank because it would hopefully give me a chance to outmove him and eventually get back in the game if he missed it.

And when I say they would make it, I am talking about routine pressure situations, like 3 of 5 for like $200 or $300. Anything beyond that and they would drive the spot shot 4 rails around the table.

Real big money players understand this.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

John, you shot the right shot for you, unquestionably, and that's really what it's all about. I read your postings in this thread and concluded that you completely understand situations, and your forte is making adjustments. Playing to situations is the strongest attribute we have as game players, you proved that you play that game very well. It's just like the "Hacker" said.."it all depends on how you feel" But make no mistake about it the big question we ask ourselves before shooting a pressure shot that may carry severe consequences is...what's my chances...based off of our answer gives us a feel for the situation.

You played all cue ball with your option, and did it well.:D

Dr. Bill