Do You Have an All-Time Favorite Type of Pool Shot?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
If so ... what does it say about you? About you as a person?

Okay, I’ll begin!

(Since I have somehow managed to misplace a perfectly fine boyfriend, I have a little more time to refocus on pool.)

My personal most-beloved shot occurs -- this is in one-pocket -- when I’m going against a particularly vile opponent (i. e., anyone I happen to be facing!).

I love directing the cue ball into such a precise position that she has to push one or more of her very-makeable object balls away from her very own pocket.

Yes, I am aware of the pettiness that this reveals in my own character.

This schadenfreude -- this delight in the misfortune of others -- is a personal shortcoming that I fully intend to address. Perhaps in a decade or so.

(In the meantime, I’m not above laying down an-ever-so-sympathetic tone … ‘oh, Muffy, that 7-ball is your key ball … do you really have to?’

Heheh.)

What about you?

Your power-break in 9-ball? Captain-of-industry indicator or oppressor-of-the- masses?

Three-rail banking talent? Master of geometric precision or sneaky creep?

Empirical inquiry is my life,

Sunny

P. S. No fair saying your fave is sinking the match-winning ball. Duh!

(P. P. S. In candor, my executing the-shot-of-my-dreams occurs ever so rarely. Most often, I’m the pitiable one on the table.)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Normally I would not respond

Normally I would not respond

Okay the "Dixie whistler", Cole Dixon and Grady Mathews shot, that when executed perfectly, sliding the cue across the table and running balls is an opponent nightmare...

Or as Grady would say "a thing of beauty"...

B

Cory in dc

Verified Member
If so ... what does it say about you? About you as a person?

Okay, I’ll begin!

(Since I have somehow managed to misplace a perfectly fine boyfriend, I have a little more time to refocus on pool.)

My personal most-beloved shot occurs -- this is in one-pocket -- when I’m going against a particularly vile opponent (i. e., anyone I happen to be facing!).

I love directing the cue ball into such a precise position that she has to push one or more of her very-makeable object balls away from her very own pocket.

Yes, I am aware of the pettiness that this reveals in my own character.

This schadenfreude -- this delight in the misfortune of others -- is a personal shortcoming that I fully intend to address. Perhaps in a decade or so.

(In the meantime, I’m not above laying down an-ever-so-sympathetic tone … ‘oh, Muffy, that 7-ball is your key ball … do you really have to?’

Heheh.)

What about you?

Your power-break in 9-ball? Captain-of-industry indicator or oppressor-of-the- masses?

Three-rail banking talent? Master of geometric precision or sneaky creep?

Empirical inquiry is my life,

Sunny

P. S. No fair saying your fave is sinking the match-winning ball. Duh!

(P. P. S. In candor, my executing the-shot-of-my-dreams occurs ever so rarely. Most often, I’m the pitiable one on the table.)

I usually say, "Kill your own soldier" after executing your shot; it is fun.

My favorite is probably the 3-rail shot where the CB goes 4 or 5 rails towards (but not in!) your opponent's pocket, setting up a run out or at least serious protection. E.g., Shoot the 12 at 3-rail pocket speed with a tip of right.

I did make the Jersey Red shot in a $20 game once, which was also pretty darn fun!

[/URL][/IMG]

bstroud

Verified Member
My favorite shot has always been shooting in game ball. Nothing else feels the same.

Bill S.

piggybank04

Verified Member
fav shot? the mighty bank shot of course,shot by yours truly at a blistering 150 mph just to intimidate all onlookers.......

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
I like spearing a ball in jacked up off the end rail...and if I'm really feeling cocky I'll pull the rock back like EARL THE PEARL!

I think I like it because Earl actually showed me (when I was a 15 year old star struck kid) the bridge he uses to execute these shots and claims the bridge is the reason he is superior at them then most people.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The in-off shot

The in-off shot

... nicely illustrated example here from Dennis's wwyd thread -- not that I saw it in this layout before Dennis posted it LOL. Variations of this come up all over in One Pocket -- especially off the bottom of the stack of course. PS don't tell anyone :D:D

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
If you ever saw Mosconi execute the long masse like I did in the '50s, you would never be able to get it out of your mind. That was the first time I had ever seen it and the incredible action on the cue ball was a total shock. It first knocked the ball in the close corner pocket and then another ball went into the pocket across from that while the cue ball sizzled and hopped in place. Then all of a sudden it scratched off and gained tremendous speed as it shot up the rail and pounded in the object ball in the pocket at the head of the table. Jaw-dropping.

8andout

Verified Member
Kick it in!

Kick it in!

My favorite shot is kicking in the game ball when we both need one. When its about an inch off the rail by the first diamond- i can't resist the shot. I limit this shot to when the cueball is on the side of the line between the opposite corner pockets. this gives me the best angle and leaves the cueball up table. It is a low percentage shot, and some might say a sucker shot, but i will shoot it and it'll break your heart when it falls in! I have had much success with it.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

piggybank04

Verified Member
My favorite shot is kicking in the game ball when we both need one. When its about an inch off the rail by the first diamond- i can't resist the shot. I limit this shot to when the cueball is on the side of the line between the opposite corner pockets. this gives me the best angle and leaves the cueball up table. It is a low percentage shot, and some might say a sucker shot, but i will shoot it and it'll break your heart when it falls in! I have had much success with it.
this shot is in my buddy joe thomas's video,and its a great shot to leave the ball in the stack--easy shot also.......

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Very nice, sir

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
There was this gal at the pool room sat night in a mini skirt.............with her bridge hand in the middle of the table 4 diamonds out from the head rail, swingin' it and getting ready for the SHOT....I yelled out, ''Sunny use the rake'' :heh

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Favorite Shot

Favorite Shot

I can't pick just one...

Power break in 9 or 10 ball. The one where the cue ball comes a foot or more off the table straight up and when it lands it sits.

Clearance shots in 1 Pocket where they have 3 balls on their side of the stack, carom the 1st object ball off the 2nd - sending the first to your side, sending the 2nd up table and playing the cue ball into a 3rd ball on their side also sending it up table while protecting the 1st ball bc the cueball is behind the stack. A power move like that can take it out of your opponent and boost your own confidence.

Slight jump or slight masse - especially after your opponent plays safe, and the look on their face is that they are content with the leave... then you make the shot and runout.