Danny Basavitch quote

Wayne

Verified Member
I believe there's way more skill in 9 ball than in one pocket. By the time I was 18 I was beating all the top one pocket players in the world. And now I 'm 26 and I 'm still having trouble beating the top 9 ball players in the world. There's way more luck in one pocket than 9 ball.

Kid D

What do you think??????

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
Wayne said:
I believe there's way more skill in 9 ball than in one pocket. By the time I was 18 I was beating all the top one pocket players in the world. And now I 'm 26 and I 'm still having trouble beating the top 9 ball players in the world. There's way more luck in one pocket than 9 ball.

Kid D

What do you think??????

I think Kid D done ate too many jelly rolls...done gone to his brain. Anybody with a strong, hard stroke can string a nine ball rack, but it takes a chess master, a strong minded person to really dominate a game of one hole.

Shorty

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hmmm...

Hmmm...

Wayne said:

Kid D

What do you think??????

I doubt very seriously if he was "beating all the top one pocket players in the world" at age 18, or at any other age. Unless of course he was beating them at some other game. :rolleyes: There's no question that there is a lot of luck in one-hole; but it pales in comparison to the luck in 9 ball. Right off the bat, you can't win the game on the break in 1P. The fact that you can win the game in 9 ball on the break shot automatically removes any consideration of it being a game of skill. Which is more skillful: running 9 balls into any sequence of pockets, or running 9 balls into only 1 pocket? You simply can't win a 9 ball match without the rolls pretty much going your way, whereas you can in 1P.

I WILL say that if 9 ball were played using rules like "Grady's rules", then it probably would be less a game of luck than would one-pocket.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wayne said:
Kid D
What do you think??????
I've noticed several times that when you do get a 9-Ball player to play One Pocket, whenever you make any shot they don't comprehend, they assume it was luck :)

There are a lot of shots that you play in One Pocket where you know you are sending a ball or two towards your pocket, but you don't necessarilly know whether they'll go in or not -- but at the very least, you're 'gathering'. Of course when you do that you're playing safe at the same time, and even better, trying to lock up the cue ball so you have your opponent trapped. Every time one of those 'gathering' shots happens to go (which is often, right?), inexperienced One Pocket players ALWAYS think it was lucky.

Especially if you play an 'in-off' -- a shot where you are intentionally hoping to get a little carom at the last second to redirect your ball to your hole. They ALWAYS consider those lucky. Well, from long distance, they are -- but only to a degree if they lie right and you play it that way for some reason, it ain't necessarilly luck guys!

START(
%AL9K9%BL7P8%CL9E2%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LD6N7%MK8T5%NJ5T1%OJ0L6%PK1K8%QA6[7%Wq9O3%XM9K8%YM7U0
%Zr3P0%[D4Z8%\K4U6%eB3a5
)END

Your pocket is A, and if you were to cut the 1-ball, you'd be cueing over the 15, and letting the cue ball get away a little, but straight ahead you get to maybe go in off the two ball cluster that is currently tied up. You accomplish alot with this kind of shot, and if they lie right, these shots have a good chance to go, too.

Danny likes to instegate in good humor anyway, so maybe he's just 'stirring the pot'. I notice he wasn't specific about all those top One Pocket players he beat :) Although he has entered a few One Pocket events, he has yet to win one, yet he has won quite a few 9-Ball events -- despite the fact that there are maybe only about 20 times as many 9-Ball players as there are One Pocket players -- so the competition in 9-Ball should be tougher, right?

Or maybe he likes the concrete simplicity of 9-Ball -- see the lowest number; shoot the balls in order; make the 9 and bang a new rack open :rolleyes: It is pretty different from the nuances and maneuvering and gathering in One Pocket after all!

Or, maybe he should make the effort to learn some of those 'lucky shots' himself, if he wants to develop into a complete all-around player!

1pRoscoe

Verified Member
I saw that quote and chuckled when I read it as well...

There is 150% more skill in 1p than in 9ball. JMO...

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
I LMAO with that quote

I LMAO with that quote

In my 54 years of playing pool and shooting my game ball be it 9 ball or one pocket I can say unequivacably(spelling) that I have "lucked" in a lot of 9 balls for a game or set too many times to count. However I have never lucked in my game ball in 1 pocket. Enuf said!

Wayne

Verified Member
I told JJ Jenkins (who has more one-pocket videos than anyone in the world, he's filmed every great match that has been played in L.A. for the last few decades) what Kid D said and he just laughed and said he must be trying to set someone up with that statement.

I was thinking the only way he was beating the best players in the world at 18 was by hustling them for some huge spot and then beating them for the money. I can't imagine he beat any of them playing even.

Wayne

yobagua

Obviously Danny has never met up with a man named Efren.

Beating someone in a game where your opponent has an equal skill is tough. I mean its probably a toss up when it comes to checkers or monopoly as there is a limited amount of skills or strategy that you need to master. Yeah 9 ball is more complex but you must run them in sequence and must hit them in order. Which makes 9 ball masters easier to come by. In one pocket its not only shotmaking but strategy and the different ones you must apply to different types of opponent. An aggresive one vs an defensive one, etc. The variety of shots are endless. IMHO one pocket masters are of the rarer variety. I dont know if Kid D has met up with them.

lewdo26

Verified Member
yobagua said:
Obviously Danny has never met up with a man named Efren.

Beating someone in a game where your opponent has an equal skill is tough. I mean its probably a toss up when it comes to checkers or monopoly as there is a limited amount of skills or strategy that you need to master. Yeah 9 ball is more complex but you must run them in sequence and must hit them in order. Which makes 9 ball masters easier to come by. In one pocket its not only shotmaking but strategy and the different ones you must apply to different types of opponent. An aggresive one vs an defensive one, etc. The variety of shots are endless. IMHO one pocket masters are of the rarer variety. I dont know if Kid D has met up with them.

Hey, Yoba. I think Danny B.'s remarks reflect a certain way of thinking about pool. Unfortunately, the dictatorship of 9 ball in pro pool lends itself to that. That way of thinking emphasizes pure execution and little strategic thinking. It also emphasizes power shots and offense rather than subtlety and safety. Lots of cueball movement, etc.

I sometime see pretty sporty 9 ball players (usually young) running out a mile a minute without thinking. Even if they may be good 9 ballers, something tells me that they don't emphasize ALL aspects of the game. When it comes to the crisp one pocket players, I've never felt that way.

Another point is that, in my humble opinion, it's much easier to recover once you get out of line in 9 ball. Just go an extra rail or do something extra with the cueball. A lot of very good 9 ballers are constantly getting out of line, but they are good shotmakers and they compensate for it. Try running 8 and out in one pocket without playing tight position!

Jimmy Caruso

From
Fairfax, VA
Not Serious

Not Serious

KD could not have been serious. If he was (and he couldn't have been), there would be a line-up of one-pocket players licking their chops for a high stakes match with KD (bringing new meaning to his nickname).

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Never Lucked In The Game Ball In One Pocket ???

Never Lucked In The Game Ball In One Pocket ???

Hell, I've never made a game ball in One Pocket. Luck OR Skill.
If I ever do, I'll let U'all Know.

TY & GL

Lunchmoney

Verified Member
From
Washington State
I gotta agree with Jimmy, based on Danny's knowledge and ability on the pool table, I would have to think that either his comments were taken out of context or he was trying to rile a specific one pocket player.

Lunchmoney

piggybank04

Verified Member
As Buddy Hall has said"There is more luck in op than in 9b,but there is more PLAY in op than 9b".......9balls a friggin road map--big deal...... :)

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Danny B's just having some fun. He's no stranger to one hole. I watched him play undercover a couple of years ago and he knows the moves.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Kid Delicious One Pocket

Kid Delicious One Pocket

demonrho said:
Danny B's just having some fun. He's no stranger to one hole. I watched him play undercover a couple of years ago and he knows the moves.
He finished 9th thru 12th at the Hard Times One Pocket Tournament. I didn't get to play him, but sweated a few of his matches including the ones he got beat. He is a hell of a shot maker and can run balls, but he is not a polished one pocket player and there were several in the tournament that would rob him IMO for the cash. I wouldn't need much weight myself to step up there. He is fun to watch and believed he had a shot to win the tournament until the end, but that statement about beating top one pocket players is bogus unless his one pocket game used to be considerably better.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
Danny Basivich

Danny Basivich

Danny is entitled to his opinion but until he gets his name on one of the one pocket trophy's his opinion is nothing more than an opinion and everyone that I know has one.

Regards,

John

RickW

From
A poolroom somewhere
Wayne said:

Kid D

What do you think??????

He recently played in the 1P tournament at Hard Times in Sacramento and he didn't win it and Efren wasn't even there. The CB control required in 1P makes it much more difficult than 9B imho.

Tom

Verified Member
Jeanette Lee

Jeanette Lee

The Kid is great at getting publicity for our sport, some of it good and some of it not as good. He's the male Jeanette Lee in that sense.

He has to know that 9-Ball takes straight shooting, whereas One Pocket takes straight shooting, an analytical mind, deep shot knowledge and cunning. Comparing the two isn't much of a contest.

Tom Shaw

luckybreaky

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
I doubt very seriously if he was "beating all the top one pocket players in the world" at age 18, or at any other age. Unless of course he was beating them at some other game. :rolleyes: There's no question that there is a lot of luck in one-hole; but it pales in comparison to the luck in 9 ball. Right off the bat, you can't win the game on the break in 1P. The fact that you can win the game in 9 ball on the break shot automatically removes any consideration of it being a game of skill. Which is more skillful: running 9 balls into any sequence of pockets, or running 9 balls into only 1 pocket? You simply can't win a 9 ball match without the rolls pretty much going your way, whereas you can in 1P.

I WILL say that if 9 ball were played using rules like "Grady's rules", then it probably would be less a game of luck than would one-pocket.

Doc

What are gradys rules somebody please im them to me..?