From
vero beach fl
now its scotts shot
the announcers mentioned that scott can see the 8 past the 10
wwYd ??
efren scott 39 wwyd result.jpg

Kybanks

Verified Member
I believe I would roll on top of the stripe on the end rail and let Efren make the first mistake.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe I would roll on top of the stripe on the end rail and let Efren make the first mistake.
That's a good shot, especially if you can get the CB to cling to the stripe. OTOH it's difficult to do that from 7 diamonds away.

I might just bump through the 3 ball, keeping the two stripes between the CB and the 10 ball. Then the opponent would almost have to do something with those two stripes in reply, although he could kick at the 10.

I'd like to shoot the stripe straight back, because it makes it more difficult to deal with two balls by the opponent's hole; but where would you leave the CB?

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
kick one rail to the 3 ball. or one rail kick to the two balls on the spot to cover his ball by his hole.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
now its scotts shot
the announcers mentioned that scott can see the 8 past the 10
wwYd ??
View attachment 24022

Scott's down 6-2. Down 6-1 isn't much worse and he needs to protect the 10 ball. Maybe soft kick into the two ball on the spot, and get added protection from the ball that spots?

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
If you are going big I am 2 railing the 8 with cb coming down my long rail picking up the 10 next and then working on the 2 spotted balls.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That's a good shot, especially if you can get the CB to cling to the stripe. OTOH it's difficult to do that from 7 diamonds away.

I might just bump through the 3 ball, keeping the two stripes between the CB and the 10 ball. Then the opponent would almost have to do something with those two stripes in reply, although he could kick at the 10.

I'd like to shoot the stripe straight back, because it makes it more difficult to deal with two balls by the opponent's hole; but where would you leave the CB?

~Doc

Firm top rt on the straight back, keeping the QB on the top rail.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I do not mind trying to kick in the 8 here one rail and playing for the 10 next. Youre gonna lose this game anyway so may as well take a shot at it. Erfen is not going to leave you much. I swear a kick like that is not as hard to judge as you think. Making it is one thing but hiitting it on the left side is basic. You could also make it off the 15 or combo in the 10. Good stuff happens when you send balls flying at your hole and put white in a good spot.

Last edited:

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Down 6/1 this is spot where I probably need to work on my game. I don’t think the straight back works because you might sell out the 3 or leave a cross bank on the 10. I guess it depends on how deep you can get the bank or if you hit the 10 and move it closer....I think it’s iffy either way.

Initially I thought of thinning the 10 up 4-5” and sliding the cb to his long rail slightly below the 2 spotted balls. However after looking at it he would play a carom bank off the 2 balls so it’s no good.

I like Jeff’s shot thinning off the 10 and rolling onto the 2 spotted balls but it’s a difficult shot. Too short or long you might sell out a bank or a easy response. I guess if you slightly open the balls and do not sell out you have at least made 2 more balls that your opponent has to defend against.

Rolling onto the stripe at the end does not do much in my mind. Opponent will just move the 10 with a tickey or bank.

There is a open shot 2 railing 8. The dangers are obvious. It’s a long shot off the rail and controlling the cb. If you are long you will open the 2 balls on the spot and lose the game. If you are short it’s a fairly safe shot.

I am not sure what I would do in the end, this is a tough decision.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I’m down big without much hope, banking that top stripe is my best chance.

I agree with you on this. However if there is no scratch in one railing the eight ball then I would prefer that shot. Much easier controlling the cue ball with outside English opposed to inside English. Banking the stripe while using top right adds a bit more difficulty to the shot.

Getting the eight close to your hole might leave you with the opportunity to bank the stripe on your next turn since it's in such good position. Of course you need to feel comfortable in shooting the eight. Many shy away from this bank with so much angle
Either way I believe you have to go from here. It appears that you have him on the run judging by way he left the balls from his last shot. Keep the pressure on. Getting another ball near you hole is big here.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Banking at the 8ball would be my first choice if you can beat the scratch. If the angle doesn't allow you to choose that option I would then either kick at the 3ball or softly kick cross table to the two balls on the spot. You must protect the 10ball to build on the position.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Lads, I believe the 9 passes the 3 to his hole. Against a good player the CB can't be left in the kitchen.

~Doc

i like the kick at the 3 or the kick at the 2 balls on the spot
but doc
scott did not take your advice....:frus
he tried to freeze him on the rail off the 8 but hit it bad

efren could still make hard shots back then
he drilled the 9 and made the 3 and won the game
efren scott 39 scotts shot result.jpg

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I believe that if he had played the one rail bank on the eight ball with some left spin the cue ball would have died off the long rail and traveled toward the strip on the end rail. With that shot he would have two balls near his hole and I'm pretty sure with the lead Efren had he wouldn't shoot at the nine ball because he might not win the game if he made it and could let Scott back in if he missed.
Of course this scenario is only valid if there is no scratch in shooting the eight. Which is why he might have passed on this option.

P.S. I would try to keep him from playing off the two balls that are near the spot. They both go for me and not him. By kicking at the three ball that's what he will have play off and put you back where the cue ball is now.

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
u do something like that, and it makes my insane sounding kick on the 8 sound about 1000 times more reasonable because you gave up the game without having a shot at it. not trying to prove my shot right just saying anything is better than starting to bunt and getting defensive in spots like this. not always of course. u send that 8 toward your hole it can go four ways at least, off the spot balls, straight in, combo in the 10, or one rail and off the back of the 10. i actually left one out, it could go off the spot balls then off the ten as well, so that is five possible avenues to make a ball.