Final day strategy Frost/Orcullo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe Orcullo will play strong on the final day like he has the first three days, especially from the start of day four. In the later part of day four Orcullo will get ultra conservative and win with a lackluster finish.

Frost has to play aggressive if he expects to win. Like I mentioned yesterday playing conservatively solid isn't going to help Scott he must play aggressively solid. The difference in playing conservatively solid and aggressively solid is, conservatively solid is playing and executing great while not playing with the boldness and brazen that he would play with playing "aggressively solid" But in either case you must play solid for either strategy to be effective. Scott's plan for today is to play aggressively solid, like in a football game when a team goes for it on 4th down, or tries an "onside kick" that's the analogy that fits the description on day four for Frost.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I believe Orcullo will play strong on the final day like he has the first three days, especially from the start of day four. In the later part of day four Orcullo will get ultra conservative and win with a lackluster finish.

Frost has to play aggressive if he expects to win. Like I mentioned yesterday playing conservatively solid isn't going to help Scott he must play aggressively solid. The difference in playing conservatively solid and aggressively solid is, conservatively solid is playing and executing great while not playing with the boldness and brazen that he would play with playing "aggressively solid" But in either case you must play solid for either strategy to be effective. Scott's plan for today is to play aggressively solid, like in a football game when a team goes for it on 4th down, or tries an "onside kick" that's the analogy that fits the description on day four for Frost.

Dr. Bill

I agree of course Dr. The question is, can Scott get out of thinking "what if I miss" and get positive and pocket balls to his best ability. And furthermore... if/when he does miss an aggressive shot, and Dennis runs 6,7,8, can Scott keep that mentality. If not it's curtains. This has been fun to watch and I am sure we'll see another battle today.

youngstown

Verified Member

In your experience, are there some cultural differences in the strategy of this game? For example, I noticed that Dennis tried hard NOT to push balls up-table. When I mentioned this to a former pro, he said that's how the Filipinos play. He's had experience playing Efren and others, so I thought I'd ask if there were other differences as well. Do you think he will play any different at all? It may be a similar cultural characteristic that he DOESN'T stray from his normal strategy, right? Maybe that's part of what makes them so great, that they think consistently and don't question or overthink things.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Dr. Bill

I agree... Problem being, his pocketing skills... With the exception of day 1, they have been spotty... If he could somehow avoid the unforced errors of missing simple shots and complete the 8 and out opportunities he gets, then he might strike a little fear in DO's heart, and all those shots that DO is making from downtown might not be so simple to execute..

As you are well aware of Dr. Bill, it means a lot when the guy you're playing runs out if you miss... It's the fear of the consequences of a miss that causes trepidation in ones stroke and doubt in ones mind.... Fear creates that pressure... DO hasn't felt that pressure often enough in this match, Scott certainly has, DO has made some incredible outs from no where, and he banking like Bugs... Who can blame Scott for feeling that pressure, it's being applied constantly by Dennis...

Under the barrage Dennis has applied, I find it remarkable that Scott has held up as well as he has...a lessor man could easily have crumbled... I give him credit for hanging in there when he's obviously been up against a superior player thus far in this contest... I hope he somehow finds the strength to finish strong and hold his head high, because after all, he is a really great player...

youngstown

Verified Member

Under the barrage Dennis has applied, I find it remarkable that Scott has held up as well as he has...a lessor man could easily have crumbled... I give him credit for hanging in there when he's obviously been up against a superior player thus far in this contest... I hope he somehow finds the strength to finish strong and hold his head high, because after all, he is a really great player...

Agreed. When, it's all over, Scott deserves some credit for yardage.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Scott has had the wrong mentality from the start... from the interview telling everyone and apologizing beforehand to his fans that this will be a boring match... how he is going to extend the games and out move dennis not give dennis a shot... etc... biggest match he will ever play and he is going to change his style!! I told everyone down here if Scott tries to change styles dennis will beat him easily and so far that's what hapoened. Scott has fumbled more leads than dennis has, and Scott has made some unbelievable mental and strategy blunders in routine situations..... you know that expression DANCE WITH WHO BRUNG YOU..Scott should have played his solid aggressive game from the start and if that wasn't good enough to win then so be it. Listen they are playing for 200,000 so Scott is going to miss balls, that is just human error and that's expected from anyone.. I think pocketing wise Scott has held up well under the pressure...I just think is overall strategy and decisions have been his downfall

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
In your experience, are there some cultural differences in the strategy of this game? For example, I noticed that Dennis tried hard NOT to push balls up-table. When I mentioned this to a former pro, he said that's how the Filipinos play. He's had experience playing Efren and others, so I thought I'd ask if there were other differences as well. Do you think he will play any different at all? It may be a similar cultural characteristic that he DOESN'T stray from his normal strategy, right? Maybe that's part of what makes them so great, that they think consistently and don't question or overthink things.

The thing about an up table game is that Dennis is at least as good a banker as Scott. Have you noticed how many straight back banks Dennis made and got shape on more balls. I don't think an up table game bothers Dennis at all.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The thing about an up table game is that Dennis is at least as good a banker as Scott. Have you noticed how many straight back banks Dennis made and got shape on more balls. I don't think an up table game bothers Dennis at all.

I agree with this 100%. In fact if it favors anyone, I would think DO because of his precision execution skills.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Scott has had the wrong mentality from the start... from the interview telling everyone and apologizing beforehand to his fans that this will be a boring match... how he is going to extend the games and out move dennis not give dennis a shot... etc... biggest match he will ever play and he is going to change his style!! I told everyone down here if Scott tries to change styles dennis will beat him easily and so far that's what hapoened. Scott has fumbled more leads than dennis has, and Scott has made some unbelievable mental and strategy blunders in routine situations..... you know that expression DANCE WITH WHO BRUNG YOU..Scott should have played his solid aggressive game from the start and if that wasn't good enough to win then so be it. Listen they are playing for 200,000 so Scott is going to miss balls, that is just human error and that's expected from anyone.. I think pocketing wise Scott has held up well under the pressure...I just think is overall strategy and decisions have been his downfall

Interesting and good points.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Well didn't Dennis win the banks at Derby one year recently? Of course the guy can bank!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
This reminds me of story Ervilino told me of when he played Tony Fargo one pocket...Johnny kept getting the lead and pushing the balls up table.. and Fargo kept firing straight backs...finally Johnny said screw that and kept all the balls down table and in the stack.... nobody was better than Ervilino around the stack

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Scott has tried his aggressive/passive style early in the match. He lost the first five. While that type of play is impressive to watch, you don't have the perfect control you need to match up with someone that is playing nearly flawless. I saw a little weakness in Dennis late last night when he shot a couple of ill advised shots that cost him the game. Even though Dennis has given Scott opportunities, Scott has not be able to capitalize. While Scott may be the most innovative player in today's one pocket, he cannot compete against the perfection of Alex or Dennis. Dennis is clearly underrated.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe that moving playing one pocket in todays one pocket is over rated, I have said this in the past and i'm saying it again. Today all the players are fairly well versed in the do's and don'ts playing the game and that imo has always been the difference back in the day when the movers were the prohibited favorites. Yes, despite the fact that a player was a champion playing 9ball if he didn't understand how to move playing one pocket he had no chance of competing and winning against a good player that understood the game. That's not true today because every one understands the game today, moving now is just a reference used to explain the effectiveness of how players think when at the table and it's very subjective. Yes there are advanced moves that are cleverly executed but they don't show often enough to make the difference in winning and losing when two players are almost equal so the advanced moves one has in his bag are not enough to off set the difference in skill level if one player is better equipped to execute his game plan. As you can see Dennis is a top technician, his shot making skills are as good as it gets, his banking skills are top notch, his cue ball control is impeccable, and his table attitude is envied by all. Orcullo's best moves are the one's he uses to protect his position and the one's that enable him to escape traps. Once he has learned those moves then his skills in his pool game will be what other one pocket players can't equal, which is evidenced here in this match. Scott as experienced as he is playing one pocket is up against it playing Dennis, or Pagulayan because he doesn't execute as well as the worlds best technicians, nor does he handle adversity as well which effects his attitude at the table. I agree that Scott has held up well in this contest he is playing a special talent in Orcullo, the match to watch would be two of the worlds best technicians playing one another (Pagulayan--Orcullo) then we would see a more competitive match, i'm not dissing Frost, he's a champion playing one pocket he's just not the worlds best today at one time he was but not today.

Dr. Bill

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
As with everyone, he got to the top of the hill, crossed it and now is walking towards the sunset...doesn't mean he can't play anymore, it just means someone came up to the top behind him...

B

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
As with everyone, he got to the top of the hill, crossed it and now is walking towards the sunset...doesn't mean he can't play anymore, it just means someone came up to the top behind him...

B

That is a great saying bille

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The bottom line is Scott is a great player but he just happens to be up against a better player. There is no shame in that...I don't think will be seeing many other players trying to step up and playing Dennis even anymore.... and for the one that might Dennis doesn't have to take a plane to the match he could probably get to that match by bus..... unfortunately in most sports especially pool you are as good as your last match...when you are beating everyone your the best, nobody can beat you, you are playing great etc... when you lose your a dogging, choking, fumbling player that can't take the heat...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
unfortunately in most sports especially pool you are as good as your last match...when you are beating everyone your the best, nobody can beat you, you are playing great etc... when you lose your a dogging, choking, fumbling player that can't take the heat...

Yep.

I have a friend who calls this "going for the spread." We are all vulnerable to the tendency to give too much credit to the significance of the most recent thing we've seen.