The Order...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn, it might be a good lesson for those of us who are trying to learn the game

And I would also be interested to see how minds work in the final analysis when the shot choice is made... Does anyone revisit a previous look if it was a close choice?

After deciding upon the shot, do you try to hit it in your mind, or try to feel it?
Do you absolutely commit to the shot?

I’ll post and look for comments... Thanks...

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i for sure am not a "top hand "..:eek::
but here goes my approach
do i have a shot...whats the risk/ reward and % make
am i in trouble
how can i get out of it and / or turn the table
where do i want the cue ball.
how do i get there
how can i improve my position/worsen his position and put him in trouble
i never thought about it but i do visualize and feel the shot prior to shooting

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The first thing I like to do is look at the stack. I think, like straight pool, the stack and playing out of the stack is so huge in both games.

Do I have any balls dead or close to dead? Does my opponent?

if so I will try to break them up so they aren't dead for him anymore and/or try to better my position in the stack.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The first thing I like to do is look at the stack. I think, like straight pool, the stack and playing out of the stack is so huge in both games.

Do I have any balls dead or close to dead? Does my opponent?

if so I will try to break them up so they aren't dead for him anymore and/or try to better my position in the stack.

good advice cincy
i always check the stack but forgot to put it on my list

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
When I first started playing one hole I was very confused. I would play with this seasoned player for a few dollars a game and he would critique my shot selection and even stop me before I sot if I was missing a key element. I used to go home with powerful headaches because there was so much to think about. I ordered Dr. Bill video and his video gave me a logical approach to me thinking back then.

It was a great starting point as far as a thought process. I still used it today to some extent and I always use it when working with a newcomer to the game. Keith

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.

First i like to try to remind myself of the score to set the tone for what kind of shot i should be looking for.
If i don't have something dead in with value after, then I try to look for anything obvious that i can play that's both aggressive and safe. Put a ball near my hole and tie up the cue.
If nothing there then what balls should i be most focused on protecting, and where's the best place i can get the cueball that's within my capabilities.
Knowing that last part is hard for me.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
When I first started playing one hole I was very confused. I would play with this seasoned player for a few dollars a game and he would critique my shot selection and even stop me before I sot if I was missing a key element. I used to go home with powerful headaches because there was so much to think about. I ordered Dr. Bill video and his video gave me a logical approach to me thinking back then.

It was a great starting point as far as a thought process. I still used it today to some extent and I always use it when working with a newcomer to the game. Keith

I didn't know there was a Dr. Bill video.
Where can I buy one?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I don't see enough of the possibilities in general, but not checking the stack is probably my worst sin in that category.

A checklist sounds like a great idea to me - I'm taking notes.

pj
chgo

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I look for a easy shot for me, but if he has a ball that needs to be cleared out I check to make sure I can still get it out of his hole after I shoot. I also check the stack, anyone who has played me knows I like to kick into the stack sending balls towards my hole and leaving the CB against the stack.---Smitty

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Problem balls to deal with, then ck the rack....then where do I want whitey and what shots will get whitey there naturally. Watch the ball collisions ''very closely'' to quickly develop muscle memory for this particular table.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn,

First I look for any amazing shot I've ever made in practice. If I don't see anything, I ask myself, "What would Mitch do?"

Then I play safe. :p

(Sneaky Rene had my real answer: "I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.")

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The Order...

First I look for any amazing shot I've ever made in practice. If I don't see anything, I ask myself, "What would Mitch do?"

Then I play safe. :p

(Sneaky Rene had my real answer: "I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.")

Heehee. I can give my list and you can all do the opposite. Guaranteed to jump your game two speeds.

Really though if I’m gambling...

1.Whats the score (how aggressive do I need to be) (I am better but still could still use improvement here)

My shots in order of what I look for:

2.Do I have a free offensive shot at my hole.
3.Do I have a good offensive trap available (put a ball by my hole while hiding whitey)
4.Looking at the table, do I have a free shot to remove a ball from my opponents “Scoring zone” while hiding whitey.
5.If none of the previous shots are available, how best can I put pressure on my opponent using distance. Put balls on my side and the cue uptable.
6.Again if none of these options are there sometimes it’s a purely defensive shot removing his threats and pushing balls uptable (the worst lol)
7.If no 2-6, sometimes it’s literally a waiting game and just bumping playing safe and waiting for the other guy (usually LSJohn 🖐🏼) to make a mistake.

Another thing that I never used to do is look at the “whole table”. If I had a shot, but my opponent has most of the balls by his hole, sometimes my “Job” before shooting is to remove his threats.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Heehee. I can give my list and you can all do the opposite. Guaranteed to jump your game two speeds.

Really though if I’m gambling...

1.Whats the score (how aggressive do I need to be) (I am better but still could still use improvement here)

My shots in order of what I look for:

2.Do I have a free offensive shot at my hole.
3.Do I have a good offensive trap available (put a ball by my hole while hiding whitey)
4.Looking at the table, do I have a free shot to remove a ball from my opponents “Scoring zone” while hiding whitey.
5.If none of the previous shots are available, how best can I put pressure on my opponent using distance. Put balls on my side and the cue uptable.
6.Again if none of these options are there sometimes it’s a purely defensive shot removing his threats and pushing balls uptable (the worst lol)
7.If no 2-6, sometimes it’s literally a waiting game and just bumping playing safe and waiting for the other guy (usually LSJohn 🖐🏼) to make a mistake.

Another thing that I never used to do is look at the “whole table”. If I had a shot, but my opponent has most of the balls by his hole, sometimes my “Job” before shooting is to remove his threats.

Great list Mitch! No wonder you take so long to pull the trigger! (just kidding lol) :D

One of the things I know I need to improve on is one thing that Josh Roberts does well or at least tries to do well. When I am playing a ball towards my hole while hiding the CB, I need to concentrate more on where the CB is going, even if I am purposely aiming to miss the hole...habit makes me aim to make the shot.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
One Pocket: It's more art than science:

But I like your effort at trying to lay down the principles of shot selection.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Jeff,

The first thing I think about when it is my turn at the table is an old-time scale like the one above. The scale represents the number of balls that I currently have made as well as my opponent's current score. In addition, the scale represents the number of games for each of us as well as the current layout I am viewing and any other variables that are important to my decision to choosing a particular shot.

And to your questions: I don't try to hit the shot in my mind but maybe I should. But if you're saying that in your mind, you visualize the cue ball hitting the object ball at the right spot and pocketing the object ball, then SURE, that's what I do. I absolutely commit to the shot and I also try to "stay connected" to the shot while I am shooting the shot, if that makes any kind of sense.

JoeyA

Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn, it might be a good lesson for those of us who are trying to learn the game

And I would also be interested to see how minds work in the final analysis when the shot choice is made... Does anyone revisit a previous look if it was a close choice?

After deciding upon the shot, do you try to hit it in your mind, or try to feel it?
Do you absolutely commit to the shot?

I’ll post and look for comments... Thanks...

Kybanks

Verified Member
I don't have a checklist, basically I ask myself what the correct shot is, once that is determined then I focus everything on the execution of that shot. I like to keep things simple. Lol

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Every time we come to the table we must decide whether we are going to play offensively, defensively, or start a trapping scenario. Once we decide what our strategy is going to be then we look at the possible options to execute the plan. Of course decisions on strategy are to be based on score of the game, opponents skill level, and finally our skill level. At times there may be more than one option to choose from, you may possibly narrow your choices by either playing into your opponents weaknesses, or play to your strengths. Lastly you feel the options before you get down and if necessary after you get down by feeling all the options that are viable for the situation. After you decide which option is best for the situation then you commit to the option by executing it with confidence.

The more knowledge we have playing any game the clearer the decision making process becomes. This site offers invaluable knowledge on how to think, how to perform, and many more principals to play winning onepocket. The more familiar we become with understanding different strategies the more confident we will be as players. There's a lot to be learned on this site and there are many qualified teachers that will help us with different ways of thinking and playing.

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Which One?

Which One?

Offense, defense, trap....if both players are dead equal in skill level. Then my guess, offense wins more games then trap and lastly defense.