Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Verified Member

Bruce....I didn't say I wouldn't make her "post up"...let's not be crazy AND you might want to check the "rupees" she puts up...I heard there has been a lot of "rupee counterfeiting" going on in the southern suburbs lately.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLongArm View Post
I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am not looking to get in an argument or dispute while I'm playing. I work all day and play for the competition of it. Money is how we keep track. To that end, I look for rules that will limit arguments or beefs.

These rules comport with that intent:

1. Rack your own. Ends arguments over slugging someone on the rack.
2. Re rack on a made ball ends arguments over rack mechanics. They do exist. Just ask Russian Kenny or his girlfriend.
3. Ball must be all the way over the line instead of base of the ball. Easier to tell, especially when a line is across the head string.
4. Cue foul only eliminates claims that you grazed a ball. You touch, you inform your opponent. It is his option to move it back or leave it.
5. No sleepers eliminates that argument. Wait a full inning after it is noticed.
6. Shot goes to the shooter unless a neutral party calls the shot before shot.
7. Unless a regular customer, always post cash.
8. Establish an ending time before match. Eliminates the "you quit winner" argument.

I have found these rules limit arguments and stress in the game. I highly recommend them to you if you are not already using them.

I would have no problem playing by these rules, and have many times.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLongArm View Post
I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am not looking to get in an argument or dispute while I'm playing. I work all day and play for the competition of it. Money is how we keep track. To that end, I look for rules that will limit arguments or beefs.

These rules comport with that intent:

1. Rack your own. Ends arguments over slugging someone on the rack.
2. Re rack on a made ball ends arguments over rack mechanics. They do exist. Just ask Russian Kenny or his girlfriend.
3. Ball must be all the way over the line instead of base of the ball. Easier to tell, especially when a line is across the head string.
4. Cue foul only eliminates claims that you grazed a ball. You touch, you inform your opponent. It is his option to move it back or leave it.
5. No sleepers eliminates that argument. Wait a full inning after it is noticed.
6. Shot goes to the shooter unless a neutral party calls the shot before shot.
7. Unless a regular customer, always post cash.
8. Establish an ending time before match. Eliminates the "you quit winner" argument.

I have found these rules limit arguments and stress in the game. I highly recommend them to you if you are not already using them.
These all sound good to me. On sleepers, if both players agree you can spot right away, but if either player disagrees then yes, you have to wait until after the next shot.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
I actually have put a lot of thought into this, recently. I agree when you are older then you accidently move balls more. I really can not remember ever fouling a ball when I was playing for real 45 yrs ago.

But, to maintain the historical way OP was, and to maintain it's roots, and to maintain a high standard within the rules then in the rules IMO it should state; OP is played by All Ball Fouls.

I believe in keeping OP rules standard as possible, with a few exceptions. Exceptions being any rule that absolutely makes common sense then should be adopted into the standard rules.

Rules such as; Cue Ball Foul Only & Breaker Racks for instance could be listed as 'Alternative Rules' Or 'Alternative Ways To Play'.

At our MOT event players meeting it can be decided whether to play 'all ball fouls' or 'cue ball foul only'. My point being; if we keep a high standard within our rules, and have a vote at MOT, what can be better than that?

Discussions about rules has no meaning. Since I became a member two years ago, we probably have had at least 30 rules question discussions with no results yet. It is my suggestion that Steve does a poll on pertinent rule questions, other than that it will continue to be just that; a discussion with no conclusion! Whitey
Yes, the idea is to refresh our official rules. I want to do that with minimal re-wording -- only rewording where a definite issue has been identified.

We already have a method in our rules that incorporates alternate rules as clearly differentiated alternate rules, but right there within each rule section. I think that works.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Verified Member

Default all ball foul pros and cons

[quote=Jimmy B;261039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post

OH, you know I can.. Regulators, MOUNT UP!!

Saw this today and thought of you jimmy...

Old 08-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Verified Member

That's funny, Mitch.. Movie'l do that to ya.. Todd mentioned Counselor, yesterday, and instantly it took me back to this great scene.. Nolte was so different and dominated, I almost forgot he was in this.. ha.

https://youtu.be/6vO-XDUiRqU?t=35
Old 08-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

Default all ball foul pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
That's funny, Mitch.. Movie'l do that to ya.. Todd mentioned Counselor, yesterday, and instantly it took me back to this great scene.. Nolte was so different and dominated, I almost forgot he was in this.. ha.

https://youtu.be/6vO-XDUiRqU?t=35

Ha!! I flashed to the same scene! What a great movie. Max Cady is a crazy dude! Well, was.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
As a senior player I would almost never win a game with all ball fouls. I probably move or brush one ball in most games I play. I still often foul by moving two balls when I shoot over balls or use the rake. I have reduced this by choosing another shot when I can. I accept this and work with it because it has always been the rule.

The people I play also accept it because they know it is going to happen sooner or later.
In our senior group it happens a lot, not a big issue. Your also right about the rake, some people really have a hard time with it. No gambling involved so there shouldn't be any reason to get bent out of shape over it.