Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Verified Member

Default Beating the better more experienced player.

Being one of the younger more less experienced player I have had to come up with creative ways to beat my more experienced fellow one pocket players. How many players like myself have had the frustration of working a half hour or so with the back and forth only to sell out from lack of execution and watch your opponent run out? Well I have learned the trick in holding my more fiercer competition back. CROWD THEIR POCKET!!!! Although the theory is to move the balls to your side of the table, I believe when you are the weaker player there is nothing better to do than to tie up the balls on their side and take away their banking lane. I find that this fustrates them and before you know it their knocking balls away from their hole putting them into play for you. Not to mention it leaves a great opportunity for you to hide them behind their balls on their side. Even if you do sell out by blocking and tying up their balls they can't run them all barring a miracle and this keeps you in the game.Now I'm not saying you'll win every single time, but you'll drag out the game and stop your competitor from running his eight and out, frustrating them while giving you the opportunity to win by picking away one ball at a time. Nothing bothers a shooter more than boring them to death. Just my stratagy through personal experience.
XOXO
Fanatic
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Verified Member

if you are good enough to tie up their lanes and form clusters around their pocket and they let that happe,you cant be too inferior to those you are playing. they should recognize what you are doing and get out of the "trouble" you are causing.imho
Old 05-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll
if you are good enough to tie up their lanes and form clusters around their pocket and they let that happe,you cant be too inferior to those you are playing. they should recognize what you are doing and get out of the "trouble" you are causing.imho
I consider myself an above average player as far as knowledge; however being a wife and mother, I have to divy up my time which leaves me with a limited amount of time for play/practice so my consistancy and execution suffers. But it's very hard for an opponent to stop me from forming clusters even if he's aware of what I'm doing(which they are) because he would have to use his time when he's at bat to untie his pocket which is not always possible.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic
I consider myself an above average player as far as knowledge; however being a wife and mother, I have to divy up my time which leaves me with a limited amount of time for play/practice so my consistancy and execution suffers. But it's very hard for an opponent to stop me from forming clusters even if he's aware of what I'm doing(which they are) because he would have to use his time when he's at bat to untie his pocket which is not always possible.
how do you guys counter someone who is using this tactic?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll
how do you guys counter someone who is using this tactic?

If someone is kind enough to shoot balls infront of my hole, I will just let them pile up because at some point I will get infront of them and run out.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy
If someone is kind enough to shoot balls infront of my hole, I will just let them pile up because at some point I will get infront of them and run out.
Has anyone tried this strategy on you or your just guessing this will happen? It's not as easy as you think; I think everyone on this site is aware of the impact of even just two balls tied up by their hole and in the way of their banks let alone the entire rack; the wrong move and you could easily tick a ball onto your opponents end of the table. Sounds to me you like to shoot and this method is here to frustrate your kind of play and force you into non-stop safety play. As long as I play the shots right and not make anything dead in your hole than you shouldn't be able to run out again barring a miracle.

P.S ...Hey Fatboy didn't you mention that you are a c or b player? I find it hard to believe that you can get out of this being that this is how I beat an actual known Ledgend of one pocket even up using this method! If he couldn't win how could you?

Here is an example of how I clustered the balls on my opponents side. He is pocket A; I forced him down table where he gave up a one rail bank to my pocket (which I didn't make on purpose) and locked him up. What could my opponent really do to damage me? I just kept on leaving him blocked and in the end he lost and I did it one ball at a time.

Last edited by Fanatic; 05-10-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic
Has anyone tried this strategy on you or your just guessing this will happen? It's not as easy as you think; I think everyone on this site is aware of the impact of even just two balls tied up by their hole and in the way of their banks; the wrong move and you could easily tick a ball onto your opponents end of the table. Sounds to me you like to shoot and run out and this method is here to frustrate your kind of play and force you into non-stop safety play. As long as I play the shots right and not make anything dead than you shouldn't be able to run out again barring a miracle.

It seems to me that even if balls were tied up in front of my hole often there are many ways to use them to my advantage as long as my opponents pocket is clear.

For example you can bank a ball and try to break em up while playing a hook.

In my experience its a bad idea to leave them there for too long the longer those balls hang around the hole the more chances one has to do something with them.

But I do agree that depending on the scenario it does work to leave tied up balls alone.

SD
Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
In my experience its a bad idea to leave them there for too long the longer those balls hang around the hole the more chances one has to do something with them
SD[/QUOTE]

This is true you do eventually want the balls out and away from their pocket, but on your terms and in your favor. See example above----see how I layed them. I either hid above the clusters by his pocket or below the clusters. If I laid the cueball by his pocket he would tick off one of his balls and the cueball would wind up down table. This opponent had his hands tied left and right; i always did my best to try and limit the options he had by hiding and freezing the cueball and limiting which balls he could actually hit. A skillfull player would never just smash his cluster; he would play your game and he won't like it one bit. Now this is a frustrating game even for myself but if I really want to win (which I always do) I'll go this route, take my time and go one ball at a time. Give it a shot and try it out---tell me how you did.
XOXO
Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Verified Member

[/QUOTE]

If they left whitey there on the shot before they deserve what they get...

SD
Old 05-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Verified Member

Frustration---it works