What to do?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Larry , you and i have to respectfully disagree on this one. We have agreed in the past, but with this one we are odds. as I said earlier shoot at your hole and aim to overcut it slightly and if you miss it hit it hard enough for the object ball to go uptable into the kitchen.

If you think you can hit it with precision enough to get it within the confines of the the two shims (Inside the jaws, so he must give it to you) or he has to scratch behind it otherwise you are giving him two balls. I do not like trying to hit it with whatever we agree on as "pocketspeed" here.

Tony, I believe that if you shoot the 10 ball you have to play it with the speed that gives you the best chance of winning the game, and it's not with a hard speed and over cutting it. The reasons why I feel this way is because first you will never make it, so your giving your opponent not only the 4 ball but a chance to run several balls and possibly out. By over cutting the 10 ball you will give your opponent a free 3 railer on the 1 ball with the ability to play position for the missed 10 ball. If he doesn't pocket the 4 ball off the 1 ball , at best you will be looking at the 1 ball and the 4 ball at the foot end of the table with both balls near his pocket. After you pocket the 4 ball he will then bring either the 10 ball down table or the 12 ball, which ever one lays best for him. This is the situation that figures to happen with your shot.:eek:

Hopefully you understand the consequent with your shot and look now to either pocket the 4 ball, or play the 10 ball with the speed that offers you the best chance of winning.

Billy I.

Skin

Verified Member
Because I don't like shooting the wrong shot...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, Now ask Freddy & Billy & B. Stroud & SJDuck why they didn't choose it...:rolleyes:

What's wrong about it if you make it? Your line off the rail for the 1 is straight into the hole, which is very tight as you said, unlike the long cut on the 10 which puts you making it off the pocket facing.

Besides, when did you ever defer to those guys' shot choices when they disagreed with you? :)

Skin

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
What's wrong about it if you make it? Your line off the rail for the 1 is straight into the hole, which is very tight as you said, unlike the long cut on the 10 which puts you making it off the pocket facing.

Besides, when did you ever defer to those guys' shot choices when they disagreed with you? :)

Skin

Except, you're being premature - no deferring has taken place yet - if they like your bank shot, don't worry, I won't be doing any deferring to them...:)

- Ghost

Skin

Verified Member
Except, you're being premature - no deferring has taken place yet - if they like your bank shot, don't worry, I won't be doing any deferring to them...:)

- Ghost

I have all the confidence in the world that you would have made that shot, Ghost, had you seen it and thought it through.

Skin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I have all the confidence in the world that you would have made that shot, Ghost, had you seen it and thought it through.

Skin

Sorry Skin man...I think Ghoatsy is trying to politely tell you,(rare for him).. that the bank on the 1 ball, would be probably the least desirable option, in that situation...#1, it is very low percentage..(even for the Beard)..#2, It brings a safe ball, down table, and probably 'in play', for your oppo...#3..He would now, (if he were even shortstop speed)...run the 4, 10, and probably the 1 ball that you brought
down for him...Now you have an even game, and he gets first safety. We don't want that now, do we ?

As a friend Skin,...I would give you a VERY reduced rate, on 1P strategy lesson's, of $150.00 per hr....But, I just cannot, and will not, try to compete with the Ghoat's going rate of $4.50 per hr. ;) ...So, I must regretfully refer you to him, as he does shoot the right shot..(about 50% of the time)...:cool:

I'm sure you are aware though, as always..."you get what you pay for"..:sorry

HalfDuck...'Perfeshunal Won Packet Constricter'

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thanks for your opinion and coaching me on pocket speed and your assumption that i need coaching (uncalled for) ... I will not take a chance on leaving a bank for my opponent.
If you want to shoot this with pocket speed and leave your cue in the middle of the table , well, you are entitled to your opinion. Many will not want to take that chance and put an additional ball in play.
///Again here we go ... a thread starts "what would you do" and it is taken as an opportunity by many as to get on their soapbox.
Just give your opinion and leave it at that.

Some want to shoot at their hole and some do not ... please deliver your soliloquy without the chastisement of others.

Sorry I missed this response Tony...I shall now mark you down, as yet another top notch player, who may be "very epidermally challenged"...I must ask, why you thanked Billy I. (was it for post 41 ?) when he said almost exactly the same thing I did, (with the exception (MAYBE) of the pocket speed remark) yet you chose to diss me ?...My feeler's were vewy hurt.
=wincardona
Tony, I believe that if you shoot the 10 ball you have to play it with the speed that gives you the best chance of winning the game, and its not with a hard speed and over cutting it. The reasons why I feel this way is because first you will never make it, so your giving your opponent not only the 4 ball but a chance to run several balls and possibly out. By over cutting the 10 ball you will give your opponent a free 3 railer on the 1 ball with the ability to play position for the missed 10 ball. If he doesn't pocket the 4 ball off the 1 ball , at best you will be looking at the 1 ball and the 4 ball at the foot end of the table with both balls near his pocket. After you pocket the 4 ball he will then bring either the 10 ball down table or the 12 ball, which ever one lays best for him. This is the situation that figures to happen with your shot.

Hopefully you understand the consequent with your shot and look now to either pocket the 4 ball, or play the 10 ball with the speed that offers you the best chance of winning.

Billy I.... Sounds like the same thing I said, in even more detail...???

Don't worry, no more 'soap boxes'..from me, to you..:( If you think my responses, are of no value..PLEASE just hit the 'ignore' button.

PS..I was basing your skill level, on your shot selection. (which was almost unanimously rejected)..You took exception...But, thats all both Billies, Ghoats, Beard, or ANYONE else has to go on, in these discussions...Again sincerest apologies...:)

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Sorry Skin man...I think Ghoatsy is trying to politely tell you,(rare for him).. that the bank on the 1 ball, would be probably the least desirable option, in that situation...#1, it is very low percentage..(even for the Beard)..#2, It brings a safe ball, down table, and probably 'in play', for your oppo...#3..He would now, (if he were even shortstop speed)...run the 4, 10, and probably the 1 ball that you brought
down for him...Now you have an even game, and he gets first safety. We don't want that now, do we ?

As a friend Skin,...I would give you a VERY reduced rate, on 1P strategy lesson's, of $150.00 per hr....But, I just cannot, and will not, try to compete with the Ghoat's going rate of $4.50 per hr. ;) ...So, I must regretfully refer you to him, as he does shoot the right shot..(about 50% of the time)...:
I'm sure you are aware though, as always..."you get what you pay for"..:sorry

HalfDuck...'Perfeshunal Won Packet Constricter'

Dick, Ghost will never budge on his shot choice. He may rearrange the balls on the WEI if he has to, but he will never budge. ;)

I do like the 1 ball bank inspite of it being the "wrong" shot in every way. But I also wanted to see if a compliment might weaken El Ghosto in his resolve. Obviously, it didn't work. :frus:lol

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Sorry I missed this response Tony...I shall now mark you down, as yet another top notch player, who may be "very epidermally challenged"...I must ask, why you thanked Billy I. (was it for post 41 ?) when he said almost exactly the same thing I did, (with the exception (MAYBE) of the pocket speed remark yet you chose to diss me ?...My feeler's were vewy hurt.

Don't worry, no more 'soap boxes'..from me, to you..:( If you think my responses, are of no value..PLEASE just hit the 'ignore' button.

PS..I was basing your skill level, on your shot selection. (which was almost unanimously rejected)..You took exception...But, thats all both Billies, Ghoats, Beard, or ANYONE else has to go on, in these discussions...Again sincerest apologies...:)

The reason he acknowledged my answer as the 'right one'.. is because i'm a doctor and you're a "silly duck" sorry But if it will make you feel better I think you're a very 'smart duck';)

Stay in good health..we need you here with your distorted humor. You amuse me.:D

Dr. Bill

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
SaNjOSE,
I only treat people the way they treat me and others. I didn't "diss" you. I simply come to this forum like others to give my opinion. You are a nobody, just like me, I never said I agreed with Incardona or did I?

I treat many here with respect and will continue to do so. So say anything and comment on anything I post, I wont criticize you. I've played more than 20,000 games of 1hole and you cannot help me.

The votes here are not 100% on whether to give him the 4 ball or shoot the 10, I am in the minority because I will admit when i'm wrong unlike 3 out of 4 on this forum.

We all know of your greatness and we are all certain you can slow roll and put the 10ball in park or stop it on a dime just as is the two choices as in the diagram in post #36 :lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'll just say this about my main man, onepocket.org member tonygreen...

Two weeks ago tony made it very clear that he was the second smartest member of this site, (myself humbly acknowledging my place as #1. smartest :heh) when in post #27 in the "Smartest Onepocket Player In Life" thread, he said this >>>

The Ghost is Brilliant ...

- Gh:Dst

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I'll just say this about my main man, onepocket.org member tonygreen...

Two weeks ago tony made it very clear that he was the second smartest member of this site, (myself humbly acknowledging my place as #1. smartest :heh) when in post #27 in the "Smartest Onepocket Player In Life" thread, he said this >>>

- Gh:Dst

I never said I was the second smartest on this site. I did say that I read something the Ghost wrote and I found it brilliant.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I never said I was the second smartest on this site. I did say that I read something the Ghost wrote and I found it brilliant.

Of course you didn't say that tony, I did...

Chill out man - I'm just joking around as usual...:)

- Ghost

PS, And thanks again for the props.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
had you seen it and thought it through.

Skin

Dick, Ghost will never budge on his shot choice.

I do like the 1 ball bank inspite of it being the "wrong" shot in every way.

Skin

You know, there's already enough people being unfriendly towards each other on here, so I wasn't going to take the time to respond to the second above copied post of yours - your third erroneous post in a row towards me.....but it really should be denounced for what it is: the continuation of your long standing agenda of wanting to antagonize me, by lying about me, insulting me, and misquoting me...

And let me say that you being a teacher, I sure hope you don't teach/show your students the same 0 regard you have for truth, accuracy, and research before making incorrect statements, as you do here...that said...

You said: "Dick, Ghost will never budge on his shot choice."...inferring that I said only one shot was the correct shot here...

Well, unlike some others in this shot choice thread who did definitively say that one shot was correct - I never did - I only said I decided to shoot the 10...shooting in the 4 ball was an equally good choice - I don't believe there is a clear favorite here between those two choices....the only "not budging" that I did - was to not seriously consider your incorrect bank shot choice - a shot that only someone who doesn't understand the game of One Pocket very well at all, would elect to shoot - as SJD tried as politely as possible to point out to you...

And the very funny and very appropriate irony here, is that it is you, who "wouldn't budge" from your shot choice, by stubbornly saying "I do like the 1 ball bank inspite of it being the "wrong" shot in every way" - even after SJD, a guy who knows One Pocket to the nth degree, told you that it was nfg...:rolleyes:...

And as for your lying, and thinking it's ok to say anything about somebody, in saying "Ghost is never budging from his shot choice"....In fact, I've "budged" on here re. my shot choice several times...including twice in the same thread, just a few weeks ago - and one of these "budges' is the ultimate irony >>>because it was to your shot, as opposed to mine that I deferred :eek:....and I also didn't mind giving a possible deferral to Tyler - even with him being a newbie here...here are the posts, #67 and #87 in the "Efren vs. Varner #2" thread >>>

Skin.....Unlike Papie, I don't mind admitting it if I slept something...and I slept noticing your shot, as being another way of getting to cueball over to the optimum position, on the opposite long rail 1-2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket...as long as there's room to go past the 3 ball without hitting it, after coming off of the 6 ball, then your shot is not a "plausable shot" as Papie so generously grants you - it is the best shot here - fer sure.

- Ghost

Tyler, you're not the only one - your shot is an excellent shot also, might even be the best shot

Your shot's minor downside is that you might leave him a window to go through where he'd be able to do something with the 1, 10, or 13 ball...

But the plus side to your shot, as opposed to leaving the cueball along Efren's long rail, is that from your cueballs location you won't be leaving the shooter a return-intentional scratch, with him lagging down to the head rail and coming back between the 4 and the rail.

- Ghost

And as for you snidely insulting me...you said, re. your bank shot: "had you seen it and thought it through."....yeah right...I've been playing One Pocket at a pretty high level for 40 years, and banks are a strong part of my game, but I'm not going to "see" the bank shot, a nice bright shiny 1ball, sitting there 8" diagonal from my cueball...:rolleyes:....and me being a very deliberate type of player and a teacher of One Pocket, playing in an important hill-hill game - you say I didn't "think things through" - please, give me a fukking break.

- Ghost