Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Cary,

SVB was playing by rules that say you must pocket the ball in the called pocket & in the manner (# of rails etc.) that you call. He (apparently) called it 4-rails and tried to take credit for it going 2-rails. That is a violation of the rules he was playing by.

As I wrote in my previous post, the situations are miles apart ethically or any other way.

Dennis
Yes dear.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
No, I've never been good enough to play a very good pool player. However I did once bet everything I had except the clothes I had on against a mediocre nine ball player (I was already barefoot & had lost my shoes in a fire). He took my money but left my clothes. I once (long, long ago in my misspent youth) bet five hundred 1960's dollars on myself in a bare knuckles, no rules street fight against a guy that was 5" taller than me and out weighed me by at least 100 pounds ( I won that one & have been bragging about it ever since). For several months in the mid '70s I paid the rent & bought groceries for my family by playing in a daily pot limit poker game. There were some pretty good players in that one. Good enough that I once had every dime I owned in the game and borrowed twenty to stay in. I ended the day $200 to the good but it was pretty stressful for a while. In 1968, when I was earning a little less than $700/month I bet (roughly) $3k on four queens in a jacks or better trips to win poker game (and lost**). I think $3k was pretty high back then. Do any of those count? I know they're not much but they were all memorable to me and I learned from each of them. These days I value the money I've earned over the last 40 years too much to gamble very high. Losing it gives me a throbbing headache, a fact I discovered playing blackjack about 12 years ago. What the hell, everybody gets old if they live long enough and I have, a fact which has astounded no one more than me.

**That one taught me that it is indeed possible to hold ace king and draw three more aces (I was dealing, which really made it hurt).

Are ethics a variable that change with the stakes and the level of play?

Ouch. I think you got cold decked with the four queens. They usually want the victim to deal. The cooler came in on the cut I think. Were you distracted or asked a question as he was cutting the cards??? Have you ever told a girl that just bought herself a new jacket or shoes that they looked fine even though you didn't really think so?? I sure have. I learned a LOOONg time ago that girls are the same. You got on a girls good side by complementing her looks and you can hurt a girls by criticizing her appearance. So I am an admitted liar. Have you ever made a bit of money and not declared it on your taxes?? I have. So I am a cheat and thief and a lot of other undesirable things. Can't have it both ways. In for a penny. In for a pound. That's why I said I need grace and mercy. Not righteous judgment. Thank God nobody on here will be my judge. They are too perfect and righteous for me and I am just a fanboy I guess. LOL. No I was pulling for Morra to take it down. I knew that ****ing Shane was going to win all around anyway. Well I was really kind of pulling for John Brumback to win but I mean after he was out. He is so good we kind of expect him to win all the bank tournaments these days. Another great performance, Mr. Brumback from a long time fanboy and a religious co@Ksucker.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Ouch. I think you got cold decked with the four queens. They usually want the victim to deal. The cooler came in on the cut I think. Were you distracted or asked a question as he was cutting the cards??? Have you ever told a girl that just bought herself a new jacket or shoes that they looked fine even though you didn't really think so?? I sure have. I learned a LOOONg time ago that girls are the same. You got on a girls good side by complementing her looks and you can hurt a girls by criticizing her appearance. So I am an admitted liar. Have you ever made a bit of money and not declared it on your taxes?? I have. So I am a cheat and thief and a lot of other undesirable things. Can't have it both ways. In for a penny. In for a pound. That's why I said I need grace and mercy. Not righteous judgment. Thank God nobody on here will be my judge. They are too perfect and righteous for me and I am just a fanboy I guess. LOL. No I was pulling for Morra to take it down. I knew that ****ing Shane was going to win all around anyway. Well I was really kind of pulling for John Brumback to win but I mean after he was out. He is so good we kind of expect him to win all the bank tournaments these days. Another great performance, Mr. Brumback from a long time fanboy and a religious co@Ksucker.
You'll never hear any judgements from me, Jimmy. We all have a history and I have more ghosts following me around than most anybody.

Re. the poker game: All six players were very heavily armed amatuers. I shuffled and dealt, no cold deck. Three of the six of us never came home, including the guy that won the hand (I was no where near him when it happened). Luck is a fleeting and fickle thing.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
John,

What is your opinion on what SVB did? Are you aware of it? Have you ever had anyone do that in a tourney?

Dennis
Of course I've had players try that on me.. Beer breath!!.Are you kiddin? That's why I'm so damn adament sp about calling your pocket good and loud!!!

I wasn't watching when It happened but If he really called it 4 and it went 2 and he tried to get it..yes that is tryin to cheat.No other way to look at it.
Like I said though,I was not there,for the record.

I'm proud to say that I really never have any problems when I'm playing.But they got to get up early to try to get anything over on me.I will be watching and paying very close attention,

Ps: I did call a foul on myself this dcc.I was playing Tony Mougey in the onepocket and I shot this shot real hard and hit the cball again about a foot away from the first time.Get this..he says what happened? LOL.John B.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Actually John I have an understanding and appreciation for the challenges you and all serious players face. Although I don't really know you other than from this forum, I would trust you to invariably act in an honest and honorable manner (but I'd still cut the cards 'cause I always do. Daddy said to.).

All I've questioned is if it is OK and expected to take the benefit of an uncalled/unnoticed foul, why isn't it also OK to take the benefit of an uncalled/unnoticed illegally pocketed ball? From a purely ethical standpoint the situations are identical, albiet there might be serious practical and financial differences.

Or not. It all depends. Maybe.
Thanks for the nice answer and question.To your last question..an uncalled ball in bank pool doesnt' count.You have to spot it up.I even call my safes just to let the guy know that he doesn't have to worry about what I'm shooting at,ya know so he's not about to fall out of his chair wondering what the heck I'm doing.I learned that from the best bankers in the world.Watch Truman or me,we call or point to the pocket at each and every shot.No matter how easy it looks.Takes all the guess work out and we never ever have a problem.Thanks again.
John B.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Thanks! that was some cool stuff dude.Yeah I guess I can't win em all.Wonder who the sucker was that came up with that sayin? Had to be a sucker.haha.John B.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brumback View Post
Thanks! that was some cool stuff dude.Yeah I guess I can't win em all.Wonder who the sucker was that came up with that sayin? Had to be a sucker.haha.John B.
Cornelius McGillicuddy, Sr. (1862-1956)

AKA Connie Mack, baseball player, manager, team owner. Longest term manager in the history of the Majors. Five world Series Championships, part owner of the Phildelphia Athletics 1901-1936, full owner from then until 1954.

Can't say for sure if he was a sucker or not but it looks like he was a smoker.

Another skill (of Connie Mack's) was tipping bats to throw off a player's swing. He never denied such tricks.
"Farmer Weaver was a catcher-outfielder for Louisville. I tipped his bat several times when he had two strikes on him one year, and each time the umpire called him out. He got even, though. One time there were two strikes on him and he swung as the pitch was coming in. But he didn't swing at the ball. He swung right at my wrists. Sometimes I think I can still feel the pain. I'll tell you I didn't tip his bat again. No, sir, not until the last game of the season and Weaver was at bat for the last time. After he had two strikes, I tipped his bat again and got away with it."

Last edited by Cary; 02-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Cornelius McGillicuddy, Sr. (1862-1956)

AKA Connie Mack, baseball player, manager, team owner. Longest term manager in the history of the Majors. Five world Series Championships, part owner of the Phildelphia Athletics 1901-1936, full owner from then until 1954.

Can't say for sure if he was a sucker or not but it looks like he was a smoker.

Another skill (of Connie Mack's) was tipping bats to throw off a player's swing. He never denied such tricks.
"Farmer Weaver was a catcher-outfielder for Louisville. I tipped his bat several times when he had two strikes on him one year, and each time the umpire called him out. He got even, though. One time there were two strikes on him and he swung as the pitch was coming in. But he didn't swing at the ball. He swung right at my wrists. Sometimes I think I can still feel the pain. I'll tell you I didn't tip his bat again. No, sir, not until the last game of the season and Weaver was at bat for the last time. After he had two strikes, I tipped his bat again and got away with it."
Neat stuff! Thanks.John B.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brumback View Post
Of course I've had players try that on me.. Beer breath!!.Are you kiddin? That's why I'm so damn adament sp about calling your pocket good and loud!!!

I wasn't watching when It happened but If he really called it 4 and it went 2 and he tried to get it..yes that is tryin to cheat.No other way to look at it.
Like I said though,I was not there,for the record.

I'm proud to say that I really never have any problems when I'm playing.But they got to get up early to try to get anything over on me.I will be watching and paying very close attention,

Ps: I did call a foul on myself this dcc.I was playing Tony Mougey in the onepocket and I shot this shot real hard and hit the cball again about a foot away from the first time.Get this..he says what happened? LOL.John B.
John,

Unfortunately it (SVB) did happen and it should be on the AccuStats DVD when it comes out, they were recording the match at the time I believe.

I always knew that in a tournament situation you would call a foul on yourself if you committed one. I just figured it was your nature.

Dennis
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
John,

Unfortunately it (SVB) did happen and it should be on the AccuStats DVD when it comes out, they were recording the match at the time I believe.

I always knew that in a tournament situation you would call a foul on yourself if you committed one. I just figured it was your nature.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis,Your not so bad after all No really I appreciate that.I think you meant It.
Well anyway,I'm not going to cast judgement on SVB untill I see exactly how
it went down.Yes,I'm pretty sure they were recording it.Maybe we will see something different than the way we have just heard about.John B.