Onepocket.org only tourney

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I disagree. Most of the rooms that would qualify have in house or regular tournament directors.

Not too cool to ask to use their venue and not use the regular people to run it. Our two tournaments at Bogies are a pretty good example. They did a great job.

David Richardson ( owner Bogies) paid the TD for running both those tournaments out of his pocket, not a dime was snatched outta the entry fees or the added money ($2000.00 ) ( David Richardson also ) nor was the Calcutta money cut a red cent. Two people sent money $100.00 each, one was keoneyo I believe, he wanted it added to the prize pool and that's where it went, the other donation specified buying all the OP.O tournament players a few drinks, I believe that was Cory from DC and we set up an open bar with that $100.00 until it was completely used up by the all the players. The players came, some from great distances, some knew they had little or no chance to win it, or even finish in the money, yet they came at their own expense and I believe most if not all had a good time.

Now we are considering ( dreaming probably ) about a members only get together, but in order to do that we are going to need another David Richardson type owner to help out with a pool room at the very least. Several suggestions have been made, but no action has been taken to acquire a room. At least none that I've heard of other than Gulfportdoc.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, and that's ok, at least some of you are considering going and that says it could actually happen sometime in the future if a cooperative room owner is found.

The seniors ( Very Old Geezers ) tournament started in much the same fashion a little discussion, some brainstorming and then bam... Fruition... Both are in the books now with more planned.

This members only deal could work out, but it's gonna take some people stepping up to the plate and grinding out the details after a room has been found. Nothing can go forward without a room to have it.

I ain't asking David, he's done enough, but the rest of the USA is open...:)

I will play anywhere, anytime, if I'm still breathing, ya never know, cause... I'm one of dem old geezers...:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
David Richardson ( owner Bogies) paid the TD for running both those tournaments out of his pocket, not a dime was snatched outta the entry fees or the added money ($2000.00 ) ( David Richardson also ) nor was the Calcutta money cut a red cent. Two people sent money $100.00 each, one was keoneyo I believe, he wanted it added to the prize pool and that's where it went, the other donation specified buying all the OP.O tournament players a few drinks, I believe that was Cory from DC and we set up an open bar with that $100.00 until it was completely used up by the all the players. The players came, some from great distances, some knew they had little or no chance to win it, or even finish in the money, yet they came at their own expense and I believe most if not all had a good time.

Now we are considering ( dreaming probably ) about a members only get together, but in order to do that we are going to need another David Richardson type owner to help out with a pool room at the very least. Several suggestions have been made, but no action has been taken to acquire a room. At least none that I've heard of other than Gulfportdoc.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, and that's ok, at least some of you are considering going and that says it could actually happen sometime in the future if a cooperative room owner is found.

The seniors ( Very Old Geezers ) tournament started in much the same fashion a little discussion, some brainstorming and then bam... Fruition... Both are in the books now with more planned.

This members only deal could work out, but it's gonna take some people stepping up to the plate and grinding out the details after a room has been found. Nothing can go forward without a room to have it.

I ain't asking David, he's done enough, but the rest of the USA is open...:)

I will play anywhere, anytime, if I'm still breathing, ya never know, cause... I'm one of dem old geezers...:)

It may be putting the cart before the horse, but before I start contacting room owners, I would feel much better having an idea of how many people would like to plan to come if in a specified region at some approximate time. I think I'll start a thread for that purpose and see what happens. I'll start by focusing in the Midwest, September of this year. 90+ days from now should be enough time if we get enough immediate interest.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
1P org Members' Tournament

1P org Members' Tournament

Would you be likely to participate in a 1P org tournament somewhere in the Midwest (KC, StL, Chicago, Memphis, etc.) in September of this year?

Would you prefer Sat/Sun, or Fri/Sat/Sun?

Would you prefer $50, $100, or $150 entry?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'll try my best to make it, but hopefully it will be a bit after Labor Day. Any of the listed entry fees is fine by me.

A place with an airport that has lots of direct flights would be great. That makes it much easier to fly in and out quickly. That might knock KC and Memphis off the list, I'm not sure.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I'll try my best to make it, but hopefully it will be a bit after Labor Day. Any of the listed entry fees is fine by me.

A place with an airport that has lots of direct flights would be great. That makes it much easier to fly in and out quickly. That might knock KC and Memphis off the list, I'm not sure.

if kc venue comes about, i'll pick you up and get you back there hoss....
;)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Memphis is great, KC, Chicago, etc. is doable.

$100 entry seems reasonable. Sat/Sun.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Memphis and $100 works for me

I've been wanting to play jTom some more since he beat me up in Houston a few months ago. This looks like the perfect opportunity... :) see if my game has improved... Deal me in... Can't wait to me you guys and put faces with names...
$100.00 is good with me. 90 days lead time is enough for me, but could crowd it for some.

Fri/Sat/Sun would probably work best.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fri-Sat-Sun would work for me as long as I don't have a conflict. I have a couple or three weddings, but don't schedule around me! I would suggest not too close to the Super Senior Bogies event (that's October I believe).

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I want to play, but my wife may have other plans for me. I don't really care about the entry...maybe $150 is a bit high.

If someone were thinking of having this at Shooter's in KC, don't forget that it is a club, and most people would not normally be able to just go in and play. Shooters has some deal for special events where they make out-of-towners "guests" or something, but I am not sure if this would work for our own little event.

kollegedave

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i am only a maybe......:(
really depends on the work schedule
and what time on sunday we are done could mean late trip back to florida and have to work the next day
any entry fee is fine
meeting everyone will make it worth it....:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Would love to play and hopefully I will have the chance to but it just depends on exactly when and where it is. I have a better chance playing if it were in Chicago than any of the other options listed in the midwest. Although getting a room at the derby or the other downtown Louisville pool room would be my #1 choice and best chance for me to play.

I have 2 weeks scheduled off work in September already for prior engagements so that would be a bad month for me but like Steve said, please dont schedule this around me. If I can make it I will, if not I will see you at the derby or the next one I can attend.

Doesn't matter on the entry fees and any weekend days are fine (even if it includes Friday).

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Since were most likely NOT going to get the financial hospitality as Bogies, I think the rules and the flow chart could easily be done by one or more of the participants, especially since it's NOT a 64 or 128 man board. In the eyes of the pool business and pool world....were just putting on ANOTHER pool tournament, but because of our demographics and being BOOMERS....our perspective with time has become different, because of our age, new respect of one another and great respect for the game. These attributes are NOT by any means the way the real world rolls in the pool room. Our great enjoyment and the fun we all had, is not the norm in a pool tournament, to expect that is naïve but in time and with a PLAN I think we could do Quarterly events/in different parts of the country to Qualify for Bogies and go from there. I think sticking with Bogies for now is Perfect, and when we get together at the next event, we should hash out some new ideas. I'd like ta see the something like this....as an example. Get with the local league operator and see if they might have a NEW player that is infatuated with pool and will give it there all to help a bunch of Old Boomers, and learn the right way about respect and consideration of the game and players from their grandpappys.