I have officially turned my DCC trip into a project

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
First, I can't tell you how excited and stoked I am to be going to this. I never thought I would get to go and I was really disappointed I didn't get to go when it was at the Executive West. This type of gathering, is at the heart of my love of pool. Pool players coming from all around, to not just play a tournament, but to gamble. If I had a choice to watch a tournament or watch 2 players gambling for some high stakes, I would choose the action every time.

I have been batting around so many ideas of what I wanted to do on my trip and I had 2 choices. Keeping in mind this might be the only time I get to go.

1. go there as a fan and enjoy myself and take a few pictures and sweat lots of matches

2. Make this a project that I can cherish forever and try to make a contribution to the pool world at the same time.

I chose No. 2. Really didn't consider No. 1 for more than a few minutes.

So.... here's my plan. I have a High Definition camcorder and a decent camera. I'm going to go there for the purpose of creating a DVD of my 1st Trip to the DCC. I want to capture what the DCC is all about. My hopes are that it will serve to not only get people that have never gone, to go... but to also be a memory for all the people that have went.

This is the biggest event of the year, in pool, just like the Johnston City event was years ago. It was the place where all the pros want to go, and many unknown players also. And to many, the tournament is just a afterthought, it's the gambling is why many go.

So I want to videotape short chunks of many different matches. I want to videotape interviews from players, fans, vendors and the organizers. I want to be the man on the street, finding out from people why they come, what they love, what it means to them. I want to have in-depth interviews with Steve Booth, Greg Sullivan and some of the others that put this all together. I want to show some behind the scenes footage of how it all comes together. I want to show people that have never went, what they're missing. I want to forever preserve the DCC tradition, in case it ceases to exist at some point.

I'm going to do the best 1 man can do with limited equipment. I plan on having a blog going, with updates every night at the least, to tell everyone the action going on and summarize what's happened that day. I want to film all of this in the highest resolution possible on my camcorder which is breathtaking. 1920 x 1280 59.94 frames per second in Progressive mode. This is what you see on BluRay discs, for those of you that have BluRay players. High Fricking Definition Baby !!!! This would allow me to make a BluRay disc. But since many don't have BluRay players yet, I would also have to make a DVD version. Filming in High Definition takes a incredible amount of Storage space though. 5 mins of it, takes up 1 gigabyte of space. But it will be beautiful footage though. So clear you can see lint on Johnny Archers table:D

I will also be filming Steve's Hall of Fame Dinner so I can put together something for him to do with as he pleases. For so many of you that are not able to be there, I think it's important to be able to share it with all of you somehow. This allows some of the best players of this game we love, to finally be recognized for their accomplishments and I know it may mean a lot to some of them as they get into the twilight of their life. Something that may be important to their family and grandchildren to remember their father or grandfather.

So, I am asking for some help from some of the regulars here, to maybe help me get a interview with some notable guys that may be a little shy and the fact they don't know me from a hole in the ground:) I need some CLOUT... some BACKING! Help me get on the inside, know what I mean Vern?

I have never attempted anything of this magnitude before, but I am going to do it. Editing this video and trying to make a professional looking DVD is going to be quite the challenge, but is something I am willing to work on non-stop until I have completed it. The biggest challenge is going to be re-encoding all this video. Because it's such high resolution, it may grind away for days, 24 hours a day on my PC to just create a 1/2 hour of video. And if it locks up my PC or crashes.. you got to start all over:eek:

So if there is any ideas you guys have, any suggestions, I'm open.

I hope everyone thinks this is a good idea, I mean, really.. how could it not be. I might sound like a bit of a nutcase, but I really do respect this game and the players from yesteryear.

So wish me luck and if you see me there, put in a good word for me, so I might land a great interview, or someone won't think I'm some looky loo shooting some video. Some people don't like to be filmed, but maybe if they knew it was for a good cause, they would be supportive of it.

Oh, one final note. I fired off a email to Greg Sullivan (the guy putting this whole thing on and the guy you know with Diamond Tables) and thought what the hell.. I'll ask if he will give me the support of doing this and he actually called me tonight and said he loved the idea and would support me with anything I need while there. I am even more pumped after that, because I want to do something that maybe in some small way , can possibly help him continue putting this on for all of us. He deserves all the support of the pool community, and I want to try and contribute in my own small way.

Greg

Fanatic

Verified Member
Cali I'm so happy for you and what a wonderful thing your doing! Let me be the first to wish you good luck on your project...your the perfect candidate for the job and from all the tech help you've given us here I'm sure it will be awesome...maybe you can convince the Beard and SJD to mud wrestle or something :D
Best of Luck...wish I was going :( would anyone want to kidnap me ? :D
XOXO

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Red, make sure you hang out with us a few nights. You'll get some spicy stuff for sure and be in the middle of most of the good games.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
CaliRed said:
First, I can't tell you how excited and stoked I am to be going to this. I never thought I would get to go and I was really disappointed I didn't get to go when it was at the Executive West. This type of gathering, is at the heart of my love of pool. Pool players coming from all around, to not just play a tournament, but to gamble. If I had a choice to watch a tournament or watch 2 players gambling for some high stakes, I would choose the action every time.

I have been batting around so many ideas of what I wanted to do on my trip and I had 2 choices. Keeping in mind this might be the only time I get to go.

1. go there as a fan and enjoy myself and take a few pictures and sweat lots of matches

2. Make this a project that I can cherish forever and try to make a contribution to the pool world at the same time.

I chose No. 2. Really didn't consider No. 1 for more than a few minutes.

So.... here's my plan. I have a High Definition camcorder and a decent camera. I'm going to go there for the purpose of creating a DVD of my 1st Trip to the DCC. I want to capture what the DCC is all about. My hopes are that it will serve to not only get people that have never gone, to go... but to also be a memory for all the people that have went.

This is the biggest event of the year, in pool, just like the Johnston City event was years ago. It was the place where all the pros want to go, and many unknown players also. And to many, the tournament is just a afterthought, it's the gambling is why many go.

So I want to videotape short chunks of many different matches. I want to videotape interviews from players, fans, vendors and the organizers. I want to be the man on the street, finding out from people why they come, what they love, what it means to them. I want to have in-depth interviews with Steve Booth, Greg Sullivan and some of the others that put this all together. I want to show some behind the scenes footage of how it all comes together. I want to show people that have never went, what they're missing. I want to forever preserve the DCC tradition, in case it ceases to exist at some point.

I'm going to do the best 1 man can do with limited equipment. I plan on having a blog going, with updates every night at the least, to tell everyone the action going on and summarize what's happened that day. I want to film all of this in the highest resolution possible on my camcorder which is breathtaking. 1920 x 1280 59.94 frames per second in Progressive mode. This is what you see on BluRay discs, for those of you that have BluRay players. High Fricking Definition Baby !!!! This would allow me to make a BluRay disc. But since many don't have BluRay players yet, I would also have to make a DVD version. Filming in High Definition takes a incredible amount of Storage space though. 5 mins of it, takes up 1 gigabyte of space. But it will be beautiful footage though. So clear you can see lint on Johnny Archers table:D

I will also be filming Steve's Hall of Fame Dinner so I can put together something for him to do with as he pleases. For so many of you that are not able to be there, I think it's important to be able to share it with all of you somehow. This allows some of the best players of this game we love, to finally be recognized for their accomplishments and I know it may mean a lot to some of them as they get into the twilight of their life. Something that may be important to their family and grandchildren to remember their father or grandfather.

So, I am asking for some help from some of the regulars here, to maybe help me get a interview with some notable guys that may be a little shy and the fact they don't know me from a hole in the ground:) I need some CLOUT... some BACKING! Help me get on the inside, know what I mean Vern?

I have never attempted anything of this magnitude before, but I am going to do it. Editing this video and trying to make a professional looking DVD is going to be quite the challenge, but is something I am willing to work on non-stop until I have completed it. The biggest challenge is going to be re-encoding all this video. Because it's such high resolution, it may grind away for days, 24 hours a day on my PC to just create a 1/2 hour of video. And if it locks up my PC or crashes.. you got to start all over:eek:

So if there is any ideas you guys have, any suggestions, I'm open.

I hope everyone thinks this is a good idea, I mean, really.. how could it not be. I might sound like a bit of a nutcase, but I really do respect this game and the players from yesteryear.

So wish me luck and if you see me there, put in a good word for me, so I might land a great interview, or someone won't think I'm some looky loo shooting some video. Some people don't like to be filmed, but maybe if they knew it was for a good cause, they would be supportive of it.

Oh, one final note. I fired off a email to Greg Sullivan (the guy putting this whole thing on and the guy you know with Diamond Tables) and thought what the hell.. I'll ask if he will give me the support of doing this and he actually called me tonight and said he loved the idea and would support me with anything I need while there. I am even more pumped after that, because I want to do something that maybe in some small way , can possibly help him continue putting this on for all of us. He deserves all the support of the pool community, and I want to try and contribute in my own small way.

Greg

Great going Greg...I was going to caution you about how busy Greg and Booth would be, but its really neat that Greg called you, and offered his support. I'm sure Steve will do all he can to help your cause too. I know quite a few of the old crowd, Joanne Jansco, Gwen Staton (Beanies daughter) and most of the old guard players, who I'm sure will give you a little of their time. Gwen tried to do what you are going to do at the '09 DCC.
She had nowhere near your expertise, but she shot videos, and interviewed everyone but the bellboy. When you meet her, she may be willing to let you edit her stuff for her, as I don't think she will ever pursue it further.

This may be the best attended DCC ever, I would not be surprised to see Buddy Hall, (health permitting) and maybe Keith, and Coley there this year. The HOF dinner is quite a trip... (tell Steve you won't eat much, maybe he'll comp you :))

There will be some competition for vantage points...Rick Schmidt, Diane Hoppe, Bill Porter, and several other regulars usually get the choice spots. But if Greg gives you a press pass, I'm sure you'll get in your licks. Hope it all goes well for you, and I will help any way I can. Including transporting your gear on my scooter. (assuming you get one before they are gone..:eek:)

Last edited:

OMG, Cali. That is so very awesome. I think I'm almost as excited as you are right now. I wish you the very best of luck, and I already know it will be a huge success. The best part of it, though, is that you have the opportunity to go there. I'm so happy for you. I will be there via Skype (LOL).

I have a strong suspicion that you will get all of the help and support that you need. With a little help from others, and your knowledge and enthusiasm, your project can't go wrong.

I am so looking forward to your blog. Please be sure to keep all of us informed as to how to access it.

Clare< is hoping someone kidnaps Fanny.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

Greg
Greg,

I don't think you're a nutcase, who wouldn't want to spend a week with a bunch of degenerate poolplayers:p . Seriously, I hope you have a great time. You can't go wrong with the Duck & Lomako steering you around.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fast Lenny said:
Congrats, doubt I will be making it there so the videos will be interesting to me. ;)
Lenny -- what's this? I thought you were leaning to coming... Southwest right now has incredible cheap deals!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Greg, thats a great project. your knowledge and enthusiasm assures it to be a big winner.:) plus your living your dream
what can be better than that?:)
have fun .put me down now for a dvd.
larry

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Congrats, doubt I will be making it there so the videos will be interesting to me. ;)
To bad your not going Lenny..with your skills matched up with Cali's you guys could make one hell of a production team..I'm tryin to nudge Rod into going..when he tells me no then I'll drop it but he hasn't said no yet.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:
What an ambitious project, Greg! It'll be a lot of work for one man, but if anyone can do it, it is YOU!!

With Greg's blessing and help, along with help from Steve and many of the important players, I'm sure your end product will be on everyone's list. Look forward to meeting you.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Check with me for assistance

Check with me for assistance

Cali, I'll duke you into just about whomever you might want to get duked into. I'll have my booth there, so I wont be hard to find. Come alone.

Beard

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
MARK..HOU TX said:
I'm tryin to nudge Rod into going..when he tells me no then I'll drop it but he hasn't said no yet.

That's good to know... you sound like you know how to play the right cards, so I hope your successful.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
Cali, I'll duke you into just about whomever you might want to get duked into. I'll have my booth there, so I wont be hard to find. Come alone.

Beard

Thanks Freddy.. I'll certainly be by to hook up with you. Are you there for the whole 9 days?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gulfportdoc said:
What an ambitious project, Greg! It'll be a lot of work for one man, but if anyone can do it, it is YOU!!

With Greg's blessing and help, along with help from Steve and many of the important players, I'm sure your end product will be on everyone's list. Look forward to meeting you.

Doc

Thanks Doc.... I look forward to meeting you too

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
stevelomako said:
Red, make sure you hang out with us a few nights. You'll get some spicy stuff for sure and be in the middle of most of the good games.

That sounds good.. I like the spicy stuff:D Aren't you in charge of that AZB room... Isn't that a free room you can mingle it, but costs money if you play? That's a tradition there, that I want to capture... especially the onepocket high runs or one of the pros playing the regular guys. I am in the right room with that stuff, right?:D:confused:

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
That's good to know... you sound like you know how to play the right cards, so I hope your successful.
What your planning will be great for posterity..As far as Rod goes he keeps his cards close to the vest and keeps his own counsel..hard to read sometimes but I can be pretty persuasive if I see an opening ( its a gift )..I might have to use the "FORCE"..its an old JEDI mind trick of mine