Three cue balls

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Okay, we have three cue balls. The Red dot and Measles the same size and the Blue dot a little smaller than object balls. Anyway, that's my understanding, which may could be wrong. So, the Red dot and Measles weight the same but have different densities. Also, same in size as the object balls. I like the way the Red dot feels and the ability to stop and draw it to direct points. I play better with the measles even though I cannot control it as well. And I like the Measles when I play others I haven't played before. It shows me what type of spin is used and I can clock their speed better. How does the density in the Red dot and Measles differ and how does that affect the object balls? For banks, breaking out packs, etc. Since I can't play right now, I'm stuck reading gardening articles. It's planting season and I've already missed peas, and cauliflower. If the tomatoes don't go in this week, I can forget those, too. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I don't ever think I've seen a RED DOT cue ball. I know I have played with the RED Circle cue ball, but never a RED DOT.

I am a big fan of the Pro Cup cue ball (aka Measle ball aka poka dot ball).

Combining old Object balls with new cue balls isn't always a 'good' practice.

We have sets of balls that are 12+ years old that are used for the retail public players.

We also have sets for Centinials that are about 8 years old that are being used with the Pro Cut cue ball. Not the best practice, but they work OK, and these balls are reserved for play in our separate tournament room (8 Brunswick GC3 with 4" pockets, done by Ernesto and Son.

We also have 16 sets of Centinials (purchased in 2006) that are only used in our Monthly One Pocket and 9 Ball weekend events.

All the real players (A players and above) love the Pro Cup cue ball. These balls 'collide' with the object balls, unlike the old RED Circle balls that bounce off the OBs. The Pro Cup ball follows and draws more consitantly than the Red Circle.

If you can find an old Blue dot ball that use to come with the Centinials it is very comparable with the Pro Cup cue ball.

IMHO,

Tom

Scrzbill said:
Okay, we have three cue balls. The Red dot and Measles the same size and the Blue dot a little smaller than object balls. Anyway, that's my understanding, which may could be wrong. So, the Red dot and Measles weight the same but have different densities. Also, same in size as the object balls. I like the way the Red dot feels and the ability to stop and draw it to direct points. I play better with the measles even though I cannot control it as well. And I like the Measles when I play others I haven't played before. It shows me what type of spin is used and I can clock their speed better. How does the density in the Red dot and Measles differ and how does that affect the object balls? For banks, breaking out packs, etc. Since I can't play right now, I'm stuck reading gardening articles. It's planting season and I've already missed peas, and cauliflower. If the tomatoes don't go in this week, I can forget those, too. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
SactownTom said:
I don't ever think I've seen a RED DOT cue ball. I know I have played with the RED Circle cue ball, but never a RED DOT.

So my eyes aren't so good anymore. If the Red Dot is a red circle, how come the Blue dot isn't a Blue circle? These and other questions of great importance go UN answered. hardy har har:D :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Scrzbill said:
SactownTom said:

So my eyes aren't so good anymore. If the Red Dot is a red circle, how come the Blue dot isn't a Blue circle? These and other questions of great importance go UN answered. hardy har har:D :D
Bill,

I have three blue circle cueballs and I take one with me when I do go play. Altough I've never weighed them I've always thought they played a little "lighter" than the red dot/circle cueballs. I prefer a lighter cueball or one that's the same weight as the object balls. Heavier is no good for me.
We also have blue dot cueballs that seem very light and I never liked them.
In one room we had a red rectangle on a cueball and that was the heaviest I've ever seen outside a bar.
I've only played with the spotted cueball one time, when I played SJD, so I don't have an opinion on it except that I don't like to see it spinning.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
many times i have rolled together different kinds of top if the line cue balls and each and every time they travel the same distance. this means they are the same as far as i am concerned.

i think the things we notice about them is more in comparing newer cue balls to older ones that may have worn down or have lost their waxiness and play differently.

just one ball being a little cleaner than another makes a huge effect on how it reacts off the object balls.

bstroud

Verified Member
Is it just me or do other people have trouble with the Measles ball sticking to other balls like glue.

Its' been years since I played with a Blue circle but I seem to remember it would follow right through the rack on a straight pool break shot.

The Measles ball just stops. If you hit another ball full it just stops.
Its' very hard to run balls in straight with this cue ball.

I played straight yesterday and never missed a ball but my runs were stopped by the Measles ball getting stuck to other balls. Really maddening.

Bill Stroud

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
bstroud said:
Is it just me or do other people have trouble with the Measles ball sticking to other balls like glue.

Its' been years since I played with a Blue circle but I seem to remember it would follow right through the rack on a straight pool break shot.

The Measles ball just stops. If you hit another ball full it just stops.
Its' very hard to run balls in straight with this cue ball.

I played straight yesterday and never missed a ball but my runs were stopped by the Measles ball getting stuck to other balls. Really maddening.

Bill Stroud

Measles ball could have cost Earl the one pocket title at DCC this year.

He was running balls and went into the stack to loosen them up for his last few balls and got stuck in there with no shot. Just bumped a couple over on the wrong side.

I agree. It does not go through the balls like a ball that plays heavy should. I do not know why they keep using them. After playing with them for a while you never notice the spin, and that is the excuse for having them.

The red circles, that we played with for years, are livlier IMO. Now, after finally getting used to the measles ball, I overdraw everything with the old red circle.

Guess I am getting old and cranky. Never used to care what cue ball we used, just wanted to play.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I spoke to Mark Griffin about why they decided to NOT use the Pro Cup cue ball (poka dot cue ball) this year. He said that was what the sets came with, the RED DOT (no red circle) ONLY the TV Table had the Pro Cup poka dot cue ball.

jrhendy said:
Measles ball could have cost Earl the one pocket title at DCC this year.

He was running balls and went into the stack to loosen them up for his last few balls and got stuck in there with no shot. Just bumped a couple over on the wrong side.

I agree. It does not go through the balls like a ball that plays heavy should. I do not know why they keep using them. After playing with them for a while you never notice the spin, and that is the excuse for having them.

The red circles, that we played with for years, are livlier IMO. Now, after finally getting used to the measles ball, I overdraw everything with the old red circle.

Guess I am getting old and cranky. Never used to care what cue ball we used, just wanted to play.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SactownTom said:
I spoke to Mark Griffin about why they decided to NOT use the Pro Cup cue ball (poka dot cue ball) this year. He said that was what the sets came with, the RED DOT (no red circle) ONLY the TV Table had the Pro Cup poka dot cue ball.
maybe some one should talk to mark:eek:

dont you think you should play on the tv table with the same ball you have been playing with all along:confused:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
I'm surprised that the red dot CB came with the ball sets that Mark purchased. The red dot is a cheap cue ball which is almost half the price of the red circle. And the red circle is a little cheaper than is the Super Aramith Pro.

Doc

jwp

Scrzbill said:
The Red dot and Measles the same size.... the Red dot and Measles weight the same but have different densities.
Not to be critical or smartalec, but that can't be. "Weight" is the density of an object multiplied by its volume (and multiplied again by the force of gravity). If two objects have the same weight and same volume (size), then they must have the same density.

Maybe it's something other than density that's different?

For what little it's worth, I quite like the measles ball and haven't ever noticed a problem with it sticking to the object balls. But that's not too surprising; there's lots about pool I don't notice.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The measles ball does play a little different.
My problem with it is the way I aim. Every shot as I get down there's RED SPOT LOOKING ME IN THE EYE.:D
It's very distracting to me.
Rod.
PS, Maybe others don't aim with part of the CB.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Scrzbill said:

There's also the red Aramith logo ball and a red triangle ball out there. Oh yeah, there are also fake measles balls -- they're a different shade of white, different number of spots, and also have a different density.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
SactownTom said:

Tom, do you know if this is a change in thought? Because back when he announced he tournament here, he said they would use the measles ball on all the tables because he wanted the same ball for the whole tournament as on the TV table.

Lou Figueroa
needs to know
what to practice with

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Lou, I was referring to the Derby City Classic balls used this past January.

The US Open One Pocket will be using;

Equipment: Diamond 9’ Tables with pro cut pockets, Simonis 860 Tournament Blue Cloth, Super Aramith Pro Balls, Aramith Pro Cup Measle Ball, Magic Ball Rack

Not sure why they are using the Magic Rack.. but they are a sponsor and the 15 ball rack does a great job of getting the balls FROZEN

lfigueroa said:
Tom, do you know if this is a change in thought? Because back when he announced he tournament here, he said they would use the measles ball on all the tables because he wanted the same ball for the whole tournament as on the TV table.

Lou Figueroa
needs to know
what to practice with

frmn

Verified Member
Cueballs made of different compositions have different coefficients of elasticity while still having the same volume and mass.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
jwp said:
Not to be critical or smartalec, but that can't be. "Weight" is the density of an object multiplied by its volume (and multiplied again by the force of gravity). If two objects have the same weight and same volume (size), then they must have the same density.

Maybe it's something other than density that's different?

For what little it's worth, I quite like the measles ball and haven't ever noticed a problem with it sticking to the object balls. But that's not too surprising; there's lots about pool I don't notice.

While I will agree with what you say is mathematics, the two balls can be made of different components. This is what I believe is the different densities. All I know is they play different. When I started this, I was trying to find out why and how they play different. So far, not much on that except some people think the Measles is sticky to object balls. I haven't seen a red triangle ball in years.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
lfigueroa said:
There's also the red Aramith logo ball and a red triangle ball out there. Oh yeah, there are also fake measles balls -- they're a different shade of white, different number of spots, and also have a different density.

Lou Figueroa

Hey Lou, Do I still get that 11-7? I may come to LV. All that talk about steak dinners is making me hungry. Why don't you come to the one pocket in Mt View? It ends a few days before LV.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i never played with the red circle ball, i avoid it if possible, its too bouncy.

the blue circle is my favorite, and the measles ball plays similar,

I have 2 red dot CB's but never used them, i'm not really sure how I got them, they look cheap and banged up.

I have a blue circle we used here at my house the past 2 years and it love it, its a hair smaller now than the ob's from play. It has another year of almost daily play then it will be a bit small.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
The RED DOT CB is a slug - not as heavy as some Bar table cue balls, but actually works in a barbox sometimes.

Red circle plays a little light to me, compared to hitting with a numbered ball. Doesn't 'throw' as well as using a numbered ball.

Measles ball - great banking ball. It is a fraction larger than others, and a fraction heavier. From time to time, some are larger than others/little inconsistent.. But a good ball. Plays heavier than a numbered ball. Get good throw on OB with it.

We had Blue dot, blue circle, Measle, aramith stock, red dot, and red circle spares and one day we got to shooting frozen to the rail cross-corners to see the limits of each ball. Cue on the spot, OB by a pocket, and see how far up the rail you can move it before it can't be made.

Red circle couldn't throw it long enough compared to measle.

Did I read a thread where someone complained a player wanted a certain cueball? That player probably knew something...Don't hate.