but here goes
score game as shown
efrens shot
ej1.jpg

Cloidius

Verified Member
With this layout...

With this layout...

I might try to gently cut the nine ball towards my hole, nestling the cue, off the long rail, between those two ugly aqua-colored balls.

I can remember a similar situation where Alex kicked under what might be the 15, opening several balls across the table to his hole, while sticking the cue on what might be the seven. I don't believe this layout is quite ripe for that type of aggressive move, as I think that bottom ball, maybe the 12, could leak towards your opponent's pocket.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
No way I'm doing anything aggressive here. Just thin the nine and roll the CB to the bottom rail. I see no reply that Josh can make productive.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
No way I'm doing anything aggressive here. Just thin the nine and roll the CB to the bottom rail. I see no reply that Josh can make productive.

I agree. If the score was different, with Efren (or me) way behind, I can see looking at caroming the 9-ball off of the 5 ball, if it looked like it laid right to send a ball or two my way, and at the same time lock the cue behind the solid and striped pale green balls -- but only if I was well behind.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
efren /josh #1

After playing Mitch for almost seven hours, I want to know what HE would do and thats my shot.

Hahahah. Thank you, Bill! That is the nicest pool compliment I've ever gotten.

I agree. If the score was different, with Efren (or me) way behind, I can see looking at caroming the 9-ball off of the 5 ball, if it looked like it laid right to send a ball or two my way, and at the same time lock the cue behind the solid and striped pale green balls -- but only if I was well behind.

I agree with John and Steve being up 6-4. I would thin the 9 into the cluster and just try to make sure that I don't leave josh a 2 railer or a 3 railer.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
80% of the time I too would just thin off the 9 and leave qball on the end rail. simple and safe....

20% of the time i might like this shot.... playing the 9 to carom off the 5, 5 falls in the side , qball behind the 6/14.
leave 9 near your hole and the 5 on the spot..

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
80% of the time I too would just thin off the 9 and leave qball on the end rail. simple and safe....

20% of the time i might like this shot.... playing the 9 to carom off the 5, 5 falls in the side , qball behind the 6/14.

Reverse the score to 4-6 and I'd shoot that in a heartbeat (if it lays right, and I think it does.)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
efren /josh #1

It does look tempting Ron. Issues are of course: 1)the score. 2)if you are trying to sink the 9, the 5 hits the stripe there as well. Where is it going?

Lastly- even if I play a decent safe but don't make a ball, I have moved 3 more balls currently tied up into play and am leaving the cue uptable. Two things that favor my opponent in this case. Although ER loves caroms so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays this shot. I wouldn't though.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
Yea mitch, i cant tell if you nick the stripe right there. It might....
And yea...the score says dont try it but as we both know its hard for us to lay off these shots....we both live for an opourtunity to play shots like that......sometimes regardless of the score.
Im ready for a rematch whenever your ready........you can try to win back your position in the pecking order........buddy;)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
efren /josh #1

Yea mitch, i cant tell if you nick the stripe right there. It might....

And yea...the score says dont try it but as we both know its hard for us to lay off these shots....we both live for an opourtunity to play shots like that......sometimes regardless of the score.

Im ready for a rematch whenever your ready........you can try to win back your position in the pecking order........buddy;)

Funny, Ron. About 6 more wins and you'll be even. 😜. That'll teach me to go easy.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
What is wrong with cutting it in your hole and being up 7/4.

If you do not make it, you should be close and force a defensive shot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
What is wrong with cutting it in your hole and being up 7/4.

If you do not make it, you should be close and force a defensive shot.

Looks to me that if you over-cut it slightly CB would clip the green/blue ball, which could be a disaster. So, leaning toward under-cut, if I hit too hard or too soft I could leave a cross-corner with auto shape for the combo.

Looks too scary for me.

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
hmmm .. is this "what would I do" or "what do I think Efren did" question?

I would think what Efren would shoot is "WillieNilly"'s 20% shot of 9 off the 5 ball whereas I, like most of you, would thin the 9 to cluster up more and come down the table.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The problem with cutting the 9 ball is what if you miss and leave a cross corner bank in which your opponent can bank it and bring the cue ball uptable behind those balls.. You could end up trapped. I would definitely play the 9 ball off the 5 ball, sending the 9 ball toward my hole pocketing the 5 ball in the side and bury the cue ball behind the other balls... In this case better to trap than be trapped..
P.S. Now everyone wants to play the score OR SO THEY THINK.. Your 2 ball advantage is greatly reduced with the fact that ALL the balls are on your opponents side of the table.
P.S. For those suggesting to thin the 9 ball and drop the cue ball to the end rail..If you do that the cue ball will hit the middle of the end rail.. Josh can carom the 5 ball off the blue 7 ball sending the 5 ball 2 rails to Josh's pocket and freeze the cue ball on the 10 ball and now Efren is trapped.

One last thing this all applies as long as the 10 ball isnt going to come back 1 rail into the cluster of balls

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
For those suggesting to thin the 9 ball you DO NOT want to drop the cue ball to the end rail. You would bring the cue ball up to the opposite side pocket leaving no offensive reply

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
For those suggesting to thin the 9 ball you DO NOT want to drop the cue ball to the end rail. You would bring the cue ball up to the opposite side pocket leaving no offensive reply

rob is this the shot you mean for the cue ball
if you are thinning the 9
ej20.jpg