martinez/efren 163

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's going to be hard to come up with a better shot then this one, yes dropping between the 2ball and 8ball would be a spot I wouldn't want to be in. I believe you can shoot the 4ball into the 14ball and position the 14ball closer to your pocket and float the cue ball between the 4 and 8ball. Now that's a tough position for anyone to escape from.

Dr. Bill

Yep, except you have a typo in "between the 4 and 8." I know you meant "2 and 8."

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It's going to be hard to come up with a better shot then this one, yes dropping between the 2ball and 8ball would be a spot I wouldn't want to be in. I believe you can shoot the 4ball into the 14ball and position the 14ball closer to your pocket and float the cue ball between the 4 and 8ball. Now that's a tough position for anyone to escape from.

Dr. Bill

I've known Rafael for many years and have played with him on bar table teams. McDermott team open. As a matter of fact Billy, we played against your team one year.
Back then, after running out an eight ball table he would come to me and say, I know that's not the way you would have done it. He knew he was unconventional but still got the job done.

But in this case I doubt that he would get crazy knowing how good his table position was. I believe he would do something like what you and Jeff believe. Like dropping behind the two and eight or playing off the 15 ball to get behind the three and ten balls.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think it's the 4 ball, the op just labeled the balls.

I picked 3 shots using the 4 ball, and I would probably choose the one best suited to the angle fit. Execution for all three seem simply and all provide value.
The 4 into the rail in front of the striped ball and floating down behind the 3/10 provides offense and value while being easy to execute, provided the angle is correct.

good eye jeff....:)
thats what rafa shot
the added benefit is it opens up the 2/8 to go in rafa's hole
eliminating the area below them as a place to play safe for efren since now they go in rafa's hole and arent blocked by the stripe
p.s. i liked putting the cue ball snuggled among the 2/8
em9.jpg

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice shot. He probably played it a little wide in order to insure that he'd get whitey over behind the other balls. Good call by Jeff.

I suppose from here, Reyes either banked the 7 straight back, and ran 4 or 5; or perhaps he kicked the CB 3 rails to Martinez's pocket. Or....?

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You can't be serious... you want us to guess what Raphael would do? :lol

OK, 4 at the 15 rail first (stripe on his long rail, whatever it is); CB drifts behind the 3 and 10. No, wait, that's what I would shoot. :p

Raphael might billiard the 11 off the 9 and sent CB up into that pack of balls on his long rail. Or play the 10 off the 3 with 7 tips of inside :eek: or bank the 12 900 mph and stun CB forward behind 3 and 10.

If I could think of any more impossible shots, I'd name 'em. :heh

A little credit where it's due, LSJohn first chose this shot.
Rod.

mea culpa......:eek::eek::eek:.......:sorry
john gets the cookie....:)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Nice shot. He probably played it a little wide in order to insure that he'd get whitey over behind the other balls. Good call by Jeff.

I suppose from here, Reyes either banked the 7 straight back, and ran 4 or 5; or perhaps he kicked the CB 3 rails to Martinez's pocket. Or....?

~Doc

I would like to know what Efren shot

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

I don't know what he may have shot from here Jim, but I'm inclined to shoot directly into the three ball and use as much speed as I feel comfortable with and still hook the cue ball on the ten. If I have to hit the shot fairly softly, that's fine but the hook on the lower side of the ten is key.

Tom

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

~Doc

You have to over cut the ball to get your cue ball in the proper place as you pointed out earlier.:lol

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't know what he may have shot from here Jim, but I'm inclined to shoot directly into the three ball and use as much speed as I feel comfortable with and still hook the cue ball on the ten. If I have to hit the shot fairly softly, that's fine but the hook on the lower side of the ten is key.

Tom
Once again, beaten to the punch, that's my choice also.
The 3 rail kick, from where the CB rests, looks to be on for direct contact with the 15 ball, but IMO it needs to be a 4 rail kick, catching the 15 from the side rail to be effective, and there's a ball in that path.

The bank has to be a very high % shot in Efren's mind before he would attempt it. It looks like a do or die shot, especially considering his opponent.

I'm also curious about which shot he chose?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
good eye jeff....:)
thats what rafa shot
the added benefit is it opens up the 2/8 to go in rafa's hole
eliminating the area below them as a place to play safe for efren since now they go in rafa's hole and arent blocked by the stripe
p.s. i liked putting the cue ball snuggled among the 2/8
View attachment 12470

Ahem.

My first shot in post #2: "OK, 4 at the 15 rail first (stripe on his long rail, whatever it is); CB drifts behind the 3 and 10. No, wait, that's what I would shoot. "

:heh

Lovingly signed,
Rodney Dangerfield :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm gonna play '' all cue ball '' and bank that 13? ball cross corner and leave em on the bottom rail 6 inches from the pocket.
Now I'm goanna read the threads. :D 6-15 @ 12:57pm MST

After reading the threads, I too prefer the 15 ball combo. :)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The 3 rail kick, from where the CB rests, looks to be on for direct contact with the 15 ball, but IMO it needs to be a 4 rail kick, catching the 15 from the side rail to be effective, and there's a ball in that path.

The bank has to be a very high % shot in Efren's mind before he would attempt it. It looks like a do or die shot, especially considering his opponent.

Tom and Jeff, I don't think shooting the 3 ball into the pack and hiding whitey gets you much, except to delay the torture.:( It would take out the 9, but that's about it. I'd sooner draw off the 1 with low right, and bop the ball away from the opponent's hole. Yeah, it's there.;)

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Tom and Jeff, I don't think shooting the 3 ball into the pack and hiding whitey gets you much, except to delay the torture.:( It would take out the 9, but that's about it. I'd sooner draw off the 1 with low right, and bop the ball away from the opponent's hole. Yeah, it's there.;)

~Doc
I did look at that option Doc, but it made my heart skip a couple of beats with the degree of difficulty and the likely possibility of a scratch due to the angle coming backwards under the 15 ball. Of course we are talking Efren here, but I still think he would freeze whitey to the 10. What's Rafael gonna do from there?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

~Doc

Doc, if you can do that, then you "ARE THE MAN". that's one tough shot my friend. Easy to scratch off that ball near the hole. Easy to not get enough draw on the stone and sell out. If you can pull it off than it is the right shot at the right time, but I doubt you will succeed very often attempting your shot.

What did Edward G. say to Steve McQueen in the "Cincinnati Kid"? Something like making the wrong move at the right time.

Me, from this predicament, I'll settle for surviving for one more inning. One never knows, do one? :)

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

lets see what the others come up with what to do from here (efrens shot)
ill post efrens choice .....eventually.....;)........:D
here is the layout again its efrens shot
efren-martinez4.jpg

efren-martinez5.jpg

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
OK, I haven't read any of these but I think Efren surely banks the 7. Its a fairly high percentage shot, especially for him, and it is free if hit with enough speed to not leave Martinez on the rail with a straight in on the 2. Maybe even runs out from here.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
martinez/efren 163

Fire the 7 straight back and try to double him up by drawing whitey over to the right side uptake. Unless the 2 goes. Then it's either docs shot or roll up right between the 10-3.