Derby chatter...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Jeff, If you haven't already found it, go to this site: http://www.dcctickets.com/ then you can click on the menus "Scheduled Matches" or "Completed Matches". At least they list the players in alphabetical order.:( Then you can also see who's scheduled-- for your sweat bets...

Slippery21 is right: since it's single elim with one buyback option, each round is drawn anew, so a bracket wouldn't work.

I see that some of our guys have tough draws in the 1P: Bille has Baraks, Dustin has Bowman, and Ghost has Bergman. Doesn't look like Tom Wirth, John Henderson, Scrz Bill, and others are scheduled yet.

BTW congratulations to Jerry Matchin for getting into the 6th round, through that tough field of bank players!!

~Doc

jerry may be slow in responding to the wwyd
he must bank pretty sporty...:D

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
also, clay (shw) had a heck of a bank run getting knocked out br appleton in the 7th round i think. big jim fulcher has been playing good as well.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
grr, lost my first one too....sitting around all day and not getting to play until 9 PM will wear you out! ;) - I had a chance to win anyways..

Oh well, buy back in tomorrow, see what happens...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Mitch played Bernie, Tom played Mitch, Jim played Bernie, LSJohn Played Mitch... as far as I can tell no money changed hands on any of those

I played Kentucky and couldn't hit the side of a barn with a double-barrel shotgun. Kentucky ripped me off for $40 -- playing with MY stick -- and threatened to play me some more later. To make sure he doesn't, I refused to pay the 40.

I got a much better draw in the first round than most of the guys... a young lady Russian 9 ball player who doesn't understand 1P. She pockets balls well and cross-banks solid, but my depression about the absence of Tall Jeff, 'da Barber, Petie, lll, Rod, Straightback, and several of you other pussies relaxed me so much I smooth-stroked my way to victory. :D

Oh, BTW, Dr. Bill played two solid sets for a buck or two against a good player I don't know; Doc played very well. Either he's just caught a gear, or The Cardone is back!

BRLongArm from Baton Rouge is here. He knows how to stir up action, and when it comes to 1P, IMO he's a strong analyst.

Josh Roberts and Brandon Shuff were scheduled to play tonight but I fell asleep in my chair before I found out whether it happened.

Have y'all heard anything of Omar Alshaheen?

A young bank pool player from Kuwait. He's been mixing it up with Danny Smith and was beating him in their early matches. I'm eager to see how well he plays the other games. Can't be bad as purely as he hits the balls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

A young bank pool player from Kuwait. He's been mixing it up with Danny Smith and was beating him in their early matches. I'm eager to see how well he plays the other games. Can't be bad as purely as he hits the balls.
I see that Alshaheen made it through the 7th round of banks with one loss, so he must be a strong player. Hope he's not a terrorist.;) He plays SVB next, so his banks event might be over. There's one of those Middle Eastern guys who's from a royal family, and is a good player. Don't know if it's Omar or not.

All the banks matches today are marquee: JJ vs. Reyes, Daulton vs. Bustamante, Brumback vs. Bowman, etc.

Congrats on winning your first match, LSJohn. It's always nice not to draw a champion right off the bat! All our guys play today, so good luck!

~Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Mitch played Bernie, Tom played Mitch, Jim played Bernie, LSJohn Played Mitch... as far as I can tell no money changed hands on any of those

I played Kentucky and couldn't hit the side of a barn with a double-barrel shotgun. Kentucky ripped me off for $40 -- playing with MY stick -- and threatened to play me some more later. To make sure he doesn't, I refused to pay the 40.

I got a much better draw in the first round than most of the guys... a young lady Russian 9 ball player who doesn't understand 1P. She pockets balls well and cross-banks solid, but my depression about the absence of Tall Jeff, 'da Barber, Petie, lll, Rod, Straightback, and several of you other pussies relaxed me so much I smooth-stroked my way to victory. :D

Oh, BTW, Dr. Bill played two solid sets for a buck or two against a good player I don't know; Doc played very well. Either he's just caught a gear, or The Cardone is back!

BRLongArm from Baton Rouge is here. He knows how to stir up action, and when it comes to 1P, IMO he's a strong analyst.

Josh Roberts and Brandon Shuff were scheduled to play tonight but I fell asleep in my chair before I found out whether it happened.

I'll be up there Wed and Thurs, John. Regarding the Kuwaiti player - the accuracy required to hit banks is quite a bit more exacting than strsight-in shots, so at the least I suspect he will do well in 9-ball. One pocket might be a different animal as it has so many specialty shots only seen in that discipline.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

I'll be up there Wed and Thurs, John. Regarding the Kuwaiti player - the accuracy required to hit banks is quite a bit more exacting than strsight-in shots, so at the least I suspect he will do well in 9-ball. One pocket might be a different animal as it has so many specialty shots only seen in that discipline.

Dan he beat supposedly beat Billy Thorpe in run out 9 ball for the cash.. So id say you're right.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll be up there Wed and Thurs, John.

That's good news/bad news... I have to leave Wednesday. :(

Regarding the Kuwaiti player - the accuracy required to hit banks is quite a bit more exacting than strsight-in shots, so at the least I suspect he will do well in 9-ball. One pocket might be a different animal as it has so many specialty shots only seen in that discipline.

Makes sense.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Bank On Brother

Bank On Brother

Chart was finally updated. Looks like Busty gets a bye for round 10. After 9 rounds,, Big John Brumback has no losses, but so do Jayson Shaw, Orcollo, Olinger, and Young Billy Thorpe. Corey is still alive with one along wi Bowman, SVB, Jeremy Jones and The Mighty Earl.....

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Chart was finally updated. Looks like Busty gets a bye for round 10. After 9 rounds,, Big John Brumback has no losses, but so do Jayson Shaw, Orcollo, Olinger, and Young Billy Thorpe. Corey is still alive with one along wi Bowman, SVB, Jeremy Jones and The Mighty Earl.....

Strickland did real well several years ago. Once he gets to the bright lights, he puts on his show, good or bad, it's very entertaining. He was playing SVB and Occullo was playing John B. In the banks. Finals of Bigfoot will be at seven and then we can see some banks and one pocket in the arena.
I had to have two massages to recover from a late night session with Mitch.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I fell into the ghost trap! :frus

Started playing even just to do something and after i lost a few I realized I needed some weight. Ended up playing 10-8 the last game or 2. I lose 5 games at $20, you are welcome for my yearly donation old mighty ghost ;)

In the tourney, I drew Robert Frost today for round 2. Heard the name but never seen him play. We both played bad. He had me 2-0 and then I ended up winning 3 straight for the match so I am still alive!

Good luck everyone and I will see you tomorrow!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Chris-- good win over R. Frost.

I see that both Tom Wirth and Hacker have gone 2-0. Good upon them! Jerry Matchin had to play Ike, and came in 2nd, so he's 1-1.

The banks has gotten down to the nitty-gritty. Who is this Billy Thorpe? Is he a young turk? Never heard of him before.

Monday and Tuesday always races by. Lots of movement...

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Chris-- good win over R. Frost.

I see that both Tom Wirth and Hacker have gone 2-0. Good upon them! Jerry Matchin had to play Ike, and came in 2nd, so he's 1-1.

The banks has gotten down to the nitty-gritty. Who is this Billy Thorpe? Is he a young turk? Never heard of him before.

Monday and Tuesday always races by. Lots of movement...

~Doc

Yep. Thorpe is very young. Still a teen I do believe....

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Strickland did real well several years ago. Once he gets to the bright lights, he puts on his show, good or bad, it's very entertaining. He was playing SVB and Occullo was playing John B. In the banks. Finals of Bigfoot will be at seven and then we can see some banks and one pocket in the arena.
I had to have two massages to recover from a late night session with Mitch.

Mitch will massage you, all right. Massage your ego and make you feel like an elephant stepped on you (and your roll). Just hang tough and don't get poisoned again....

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

Mitch will massage you, all right. Massage your ego and make you feel like an elephant stepped on you (and your roll). Just hang tough and don't get poisoned again....

Oh contraire... I'm not sure which Bill I played, but it was not the same guy from last year. He kicked my ass. Last game I had him 6-2 and he starts his run with a two railer while swinging whitey around (you know the shot). Runs a few more balls and gets stuck... So he hits another two railer to keep things goin! Major kudos Bill.

I did play well a few times this week. Got 8-7 from Bernie for 4 hours and ended even. Played the Ghost even for 5 hours and broke even. Notched a few small wins though too :). And am still hanging in the tournament. A great time as expected. I think I'll sleep for a week when I get home.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
miller out. was brutalized by jesse bowman, lost second to jason chance. oh well..... got a good/cheap lesson from jtom late last night/early morning -- decided i had enough around 4 am or so.....

having a good time.
:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yep. Thorpe is very young. Still a teen I do believe....

I don't think he's that young. I believe it's been about 5 years since he beat Glen "Piggy Banks" Rogers in the One Pocket at Derby. I think I recall hearing that he was 16 or 17 at that time.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
OK, I have a bad beat story but I don't pay, so if you ain't willin' to read this for free, fuggedaboutdit!

Round 2 I lose the lag and first game I get down -3 to 3, struggle back and forth, finally make a couple of balls; he makes a ball then misses a shot I thought he shouldn't have tried and I run 9 and out! Woo hoo!

Second game he turns the break around on me with his first shot; we battle back and forth and I finally get him in a trap with the table favorable to me. I run 5 and finally win 8-6.

Third game I played too loose, he got up about 4-0 early, and won easily.

Fourth game I finally run a couple of balls but blow shape and play a semi-safe leaving him long and straight in on his long rail with no other shot if he makes it. Wait, he spears it in, draws his ball and gets enough room to back cut a ball I didn't think he could possibly get on. He makes one or two more then misses a difficult combination I wouldn't have tried on a bet. I get a couple then cross a straightback to a couple of inches in front of my pocket and leave CB on the top rail near the pocket on my side... his only offensive shot an OB just below his side pocket near the rail. He spears this one and runs out. %$#^ &*! I didn't think anyone in the world would try that shot under the circumstances. %$%#$%!

Fifth game he makes a ball on the break and runs 5. I never got in the game. %$#&6%4#%$!!!

I got a call early this morning (Mon. morn) that my car that my son was driving to KC shot craps. I have to go there from here to get my crap out of it so I can salvage it or recycle it. (No big deal, it was 12 years old, but the pain in the butt is a big deal.) I may have to leave here late today, and early Wed for sure, so I didn't re-buy because if I won I'd have to leave before my next match anyway. Last year I didn't rebuy because I was pissed and depressed about playing so poorly. This year I'm just pissed.

BTW, the Josh Roberts/Brandon Shuff match didn't come off.

I hear Jaybird (Jason Brown) got the 1P break from T-Rex and closed out a 5 on top set in 7 games!

I hear ghost managed to win two games against Justin Bergman but was DOA with no opportunities in the hill/hill.

Alex Lely from Holland -- a 1P.org member (Eengat) -- is here and playing well. Still in the 1P. He is in love with 1P and is teaching it at home and trying to think of all kinds of ways he might successfully promote it in Europe, starting with Holland. Very pleasant guy, and a little older than I had guessed.... I think he must be about 38-40 (but that's in metric and I don't know the conversion.) :D

Disco Dave is in action with Dennis Speers, Disco getting 10-7 and the breaks. (Disco plays pretty damned well; Speers plays S-T-R-O-N-G, and with this match-up, he is playing Artie style.)

Bobby Hunter was here taking a shot at the straight-pool challenge: As I understand it, first break each set is executed with ball in hand. Three sets to reach max run; best run counts, not total of the three.